Martin Gibson

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello,we are thinking of fitting Caravelle rails and 3 seater bench/bed into our Kombi. We have a large dog cage at the back when we go anywhere as we always take our two bulldogs with us. What we would like to know is if we slide the bed forward and flatten it and then swivel the two captains seats round in the front,would it be possible to sleep on the bed with our feet on the captains seats? Obviously we cant use a multiflex board behind the bed because of the cage and was wondering if this was a way round it but didnt know 1: how much gap there would be between front seats and bed and 2: what sort of height difference there is between a swiveled front seat and a reclined caravelle bed? I know @Deaky and plenty of others on here have this set up and would appreciate any advice,thanks very much

Sleeping on a California seat tomorrow, I assume it’s the same height as a Caravelle.
There is definitely a large gap between the swiveled front seats and the Cali’ seat.
I’ll take a photo tomorrow.

Hello,we are thinking of fitting Caravelle rails and 3 seater bench/bed into our Kombi. We have a large dog cage at the back when we go anywhere as we always take our two bulldogs with us. What we would like to know is if we slide the bed forward and flatten it and then swivel the two captains seats round in the front,would it be possible to sleep on the bed with our feet on the captains seats? Obviously we cant use a multiflex board behind the bed because of the cage and was wondering if this was a way round it but didnt know 1: how much gap there would be between front seats and bed and 2: what sort of height difference there is between a swiveled front seat and a reclined caravelle bed? I know @Deaky and plenty of others on here have this set up and would appreciate any advice,thanks very much
I would say no. I have a Caravelle 3 seater and OEM swivel front passenger.

It’s not really doable. When you change the triple seat into a bed, the seat base lifts up around 20cm so there is a big step down to the chair cushion.

1311D904-3E25-4AD0-A7BC-3719E81ACBA3.jpeg 34F1507A-341A-41E6-B795-C3B4DCED8419.jpeg

I think the California seat is lower, I’ll get a photo later.

Thanks for the photos @Deaky , how big was the gap between the seats,they look pretty close together? We might have to see if we can put something on the front seats to even the height out if the gap between the seats isnt too big. I cant teally think of any other bed solutions with the big dog cage at the back of the van. Thanks @DXX but it was the caravelle seat we were looking at as we occasionally need the 3 rear seats

Ok, for the record my Cali seat aligns perfectly with the front after market swivel seat.
Another sleeping option discovered!
On the downside it's only good for one person due to the gap between the captains seats.

IMG_1030.JPG IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1030.JPG IMG_1031.JPG IMG_0424.jpg IMG_0432.jpg Just a quick follow up on this. Had the caravelle rails/bed fitted. With the bed forward and the front seats swivelled round and jacked up as high as they go,its not too bad but will need a mattress topper for some comfort i think. For what we need,i think we will manage ok,obviously the dogs will be more comfy than us but thats normal!

Ok, for the record my Cali seat aligns perfectly with the front after market swivel seat.
Another sleeping option discovered!
On the downside it's only good for one person due to the gap between the captains seats.
Hi DXX, what after market swivels do you have? This looks like a great option!

Back