Captain seat rattle fix

DTT6

Living the dream one sleep at a time
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, an someone point me in the direction of how to dismantle the chair base/swivel unit?

I’ve discovered one of my factory fitted captain seats in the caravelle rattles (tin sound) if I swivel and lock it in one direction but doesnt if its turn and locked in the other direction. I am assuming something is touching once the swivel lever is engaged. If I pull the swivel lever to disengage and turn the chair slightly the rattle stops.

many thanks

does anyone have a diagram of the sliding/rolling mechanism for the swivel chairs (second row caravelle)?
I want to dismantle to establish where the annoying tin sound rattle is coming from. If I slam down the lever after moving the seat it sometimes stops the rattle so I know its to do with the mechanism somewhere

If anyone has experienced this issue or knows of a fix I would be grateful

I’m probably lucky to only have this as an issue with my caravelle however its the most annoying rattle that keeps on giving!
VW haven’t been able to fix this permanently and no matter how many ‘adjustments’ read thumping the chair can I get this tinny sounding rattle to stop.
I’ve taken the chair out, looked at the runner locking mechanism and can’t see anything obvious.
Sometimes if I’m lucky I can move it along the runners and slam the locking bar down and it seems to stop rattling for a while then just returns 10 mins later.
The noise doesn't appear to be arm rests either. The noise is still there if I fold the seat down.
The only way I have a noise free experience is if I either have someone seated in the chair or if I take the chair out and leave it at home!!
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Have you checked to make sure it’s not the arm rests as they rattle if in the up position.
Not sure if it helps but my aftermarket passenger seat rattles slightly, due to short wife and extra swivel height seat is set as low as possible. Solution I've found to stop rattle is ever so slightly raise the seat to put some tension on the mechanism

Mines a factory swivel.
Although mine are aftermarket the seats are factory and it's the actual seat that rattles. It's only when the seat is lowered completely down taking all tension off the mechanism, pump and a half of the raising leaver gives enough tension to stop the rattle without actually raising the seat

Although mine are aftermarket the seats are factory and it's the actual seat that rattles. It's only when the seat is lowered completely down taking all tension off the mechanism, pump and a half of the raising leaver gives enough tension to stop the rattle without actually raising the seat
Factory seats don’t adjust up/down. It stops under load so I guess something is loose.

My factory swivels (built Feb 21) def dont have height adjustment. It was explicitly mentioned as part of the options when i configured it, that adding swivel loses height adjustment.

So either they arent factory swivels, or older models had that option maybe.

Glad you are sorted @Mike Dean. Unfortunately thats not the issue/fix for me. I still either have to move and slam down the locking bar and keep my fingers crossed its silent for a while or sometime if I spin the chair slightly so its off the lock position sometimes that stops the noise.
@Higgidav Its not the armrests for me despite my local dealer telling me otherwise

If anyone has experienced this issue or knows of a fix I would be grateful

I’m probably lucky to only have this as an issue with my caravelle however its the most annoying rattle that keeps on giving!
VW haven’t been able to fix this permanently and no matter how many ‘adjustments’ read thumping the chair can I get this tinny sounding rattle to stop.
I’ve taken the chair out, looked at the runner locking mechanism and can’t see anything obvious.
Sometimes if I’m lucky I can move it along the runners and slam the locking bar down and it seems to stop rattling for a while then just returns 10 mins later.
The noise doesn't appear to be arm rests either. The noise is still there if I fold the seat down.
The only way I have a noise free experience is if I either have someone seated in the chair or if I take the chair out and leave it at home!!
Any ideas?
Never say never but I may have found the cause of the metallic rattle I have lived with for years…..or at least one of them!
The back of the base you have the frame and at each side metalwork wrapped round and welded. For me this metalwork had slight flex on one side and it was this that was causing the noise. My fix was to ‘adjust’ screwdriver and hammer then insert a thin piece of self adhesive rubber strip.
1678381162201.jpeg

Back