Can My Van Be Stolen With A Key Entry

t6 steve

T6 Pro
hi again everyone .I ad a vw rd side assit out today reguards a bit of a flat battery on my vw t6 .nice enough chap.he seems to be pointing to fact that my van is not going on long runs to many short journeys.not helped by the virus so iv got to charge it up myself plus buy a leisure battery charger cant use a normal one .but while talking to him I told him I ad bought a dumpy port and ad moved the original one he asked why have I done that for I said try stop people nicking my van he said they cant nick these vans only unless they have the key he said its the keyless ones they can nick so sounds like iv bought this dummy port for nothing so if anyone can advise me please AGAIN thanks again for looking ,van is a 18 plate key entry.

This is true, to a degree.

our vans do not have "keyless entry" so a relay attack is not possible at the moment.

But most black-box attacks rely on having comms with the ECU/ECM via the OBD2 port.

So while Today we are OK, who knows what may happen tommorrow.

Auto hackers may find a way to get around the security.

So moving the OBD2 port is one of the added layers of security. . . . . No so relevant today for a T6, but 100% relevant for a Ford/BMW etc etc.

re:

Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

More importantly what battery do you have? Is it a Moll battery? If it is, then have a search on here as I believe there was a faulty batch and it should be changed under warranty

I have a Moll battery and not had a problem. The van will turn over without being touched for weeks. Maybe I got a good one?

thank you to everyone for advice iv bought the port/plug so may as well make some use of it ,yes it is a moll battery I got the expression he was trying to blame me for me wireing up the interior lights but I told him there on a leisure battery that iv not yet connected up to main battery so then he turns to it needs charging up as your not going far in it.the virus don't help maters but cant be helped.i said il charge it up then.so then he tells me I need a leisure batt charger normal one will ruin the batt then he says it will have to go into the van service centre but there currently only doing emergency work only.but il put up with it I still have one year remaining on the warranty so il be back cant see the batt lasting another 10 months or so .but thank you again to every one il be back soon got loads still to do, stay safe

New keys can definitely be made to these vehicles when no key is available, but it currently (as far as im aware) can only be done by taking further components out, which is time consuming. Second keys can be made thru obd only and imo its only so long before certain tools will be able to make keys from nothing thru only the obd port, if they cant do so already. So I think youre absolutely right to move it, anything to make stealing it harder.

Back