Can anyone recommend a Driveaway Awning

Reading this, think its a given we’ll be getting an electric pump as well, please let me know if you find one for a good price

£50 seems the going rate these days... if I can't find one cheaper over the next few week great... if not I'll just buy one at the normal price.

@Davenjo the front porch (sun canopy as they called it) and poles came as part of a black friday bulk deal when i bought the awning, the porch just attaches with a zip

@Davenjo the front porch (sun canopy as they called it) and poles came as part of a black friday bulk deal when i bought the awning, the porch just attaches with a zip
Just realised - you have the “deluxe” version of the Kela III (I didn’t know they did one of those!!!). You also have a rain canopy over the side window.

yes we only bought it because of the deal was so good and we needed a "low" version of a awning

Yes, so have I, they all look great, confused.com - hopefully will get inspired at the show......

Yes, so have I, they all look great, confused.com - hopefully will get inspired at the show......
I’ve got a Vango Kela III and a Vango AirHub hex gazebo - for this season they have released a HexAway which takes the best features of both of these products - if buying now this is what I would be going for.

We have an outdoor revolution movealite 2 2017 model
Its a nice size and very light inside ,we thought the kela was a bit dark being dark grey .
We have a rail in the gutter and fasten the awning on with figure of 8 and kado strip .
Its quite quick to put up and drop down ,two main inflatable tubes then canopy over door and a roof strut .we also have a sun canopy that zips on the front ,which give a bit more out door shelter for cooking

.ATTACH=full]17533[/ATTACH]

IMG_20180128_222530.jpg

Out of interest, due to 6 kids in tow which are the largest awning available?
I was initially thinking of a large tent but I guess we could sleep in the shuttle (if that’s possible) and put the kids in the awning. Just throwing ideas about before I start buying.

I was initially thinking of a large tent but I guess we could sleep in the shuttle (if that’s possible) and put the kids in the awning. Just throwing ideas about before I start buying.
6 kids???? You haven’t got a van, you’ve got a minibus.
The OR Movelite T5 will easily sleep 6, then you can sleep in the van. Reckon you will struggle to find an awning that sleeps 8.

You might be better off sticking with plan A and looking at tents - there are a lot more larger models to choose from and, if you are not too fussed about inflatable poles, you will get a lot better value for money looking at something with more traditional poles.

Was looking at the biggest Vango anyway air tent. £1500 so deffo not cheap. Just thinking of size difference and option of sleeping in the bus

As above ,you will get a decent tent for £350/400 ,far more space

I may be mistaken, and regular site campers will know better, but is the reason for not having a sewn in groundsheet the fact that some sites do not allow those that smother the grass and therefore kill it?
Clip in types at least give you options.
Also a flexi pipe from the internal heater nozzle into the awning would take the chill off nicely?

I may be mistaken, and regular site campers will know better, but is the reason for not having a sewn in groundsheet the fact that some sites do not allow those that smother the grass and therefore kill it?
Clip in types at least give you options.
Also a flexi pipe from the internal heater nozzle into the awning would take the chill off nicely?
I have wondered the same but we’ve stayed on lots of sites that apparently insist on breathable groundsheets in their Ts&Cs but not once been refused permission to pitch our tent and/or awnings though we have been asked to move after 5 days before. If sites enforced this rule they would turn their back on the vast majority of tent campers and an ever increasing number of campervan/motorhomes that are now using these drive away awnings (most with SIGs).

I think where you are most likely to have a problem is where sites have regimented hard standing with a piece of grass to the side for the awning - if everyone turned up with awnings then the grass would soon be gone. With grass pitches and less regimented hard standing there is usually space within the allotted pitch to avoid pitching the tent/awning in the same place the previous occupants used.

If a site has the “eco friendly” groundsheet rule I just ring them to clarify before booking.

The T2 is a nice little awning, saw it at CCM last year. I have the T4.The T2 probably steps out from the van a similar distance as the T4 does, but it is not as long down the length of the van.
One other bit of advice is if you are looking for a side opening awning, rather than a front (along the longitudinal axis of the van) opening one, be aware that a lot of campsites have an overall width restriction. So long awnings that stretch away from the side of the van ‘could’ be problematic.

So from your comments I presume that the T4 runs farther down the length of the van ( by how much, ? Does it reach to the back of the van ? ) but only steps out as the T2 does, is my interpretation correct ?
I can’t get to the NEC this year as I’m still away.
Thankyou

Last edited:
We have an outdoor revolution movealite 2 2017 model
Its a nice size and very light inside ,we thought the kela was a bit dark being dark grey .
We have a rail in the gutter and fasten the awning on with figure of 8 and kado strip .
Its quite quick to put up and drop down ,two main inflatable tubes then canopy over door and a roof strut .we also have a sun canopy that zips on the front ,which give a bit more out door shelter for cooking

.ATTACH=full]17533[/ATTACH]

View attachment 17533

With your rail in the gutter and attaching with a figure of 8 and kado strip, if you drive away when you come back do you find it easy to re-attach van & awning ?
Any tips please ?

So from your comments I presume that the T4 runs farteh down the length of the van ( by how much, ? Does it reach to the back of the van ? ) but only steps out as the T2 does, is my interpretation correct ?
I can’t get to the NEC this year as I’m still away.
Thankyou
Hi @Caulkhead, yes that’s right. The T4 is pretty much as long as the van. As you can see below the porch is about level with the bumper, the back of the awning (the grey end piece) is the only bit that extends beyond the rear bumper.
The T2 version would extend away from the van so that it’s porch would be pretty much where my side windows are.

19BA9F7B-6A92-45AC-8CBD-221E29D56281.jpeg

Back