Can anyone recommend a Driveaway Awning

Debra

T6 Pro
Hello fellow campers. We’re looking to buy a Driveaway Awning for our T6, preferably one that is easy to erect for the odd night or two and to just give us a bit more room. So far I’ve been looking at the Khyam compact 200 which seems to be out of stock wherever I’ve looked on line and the other one which sounds quick and easy is the Outdoor Revolution T2, an inflatable which we’ve never had before. Big difference in price between the two, the Khyam sounds very cheap at 119 quid whereas the Outdoor Rev is around 450.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Debra, the best advice I can give is get yourself along to something like the CCM (caravan, camping, and motor home) show at the NEC in Birmingham in February. You will find Khan, Vango, Outdoor Revolution there and you can get in the awnings, size them up to make the best decision about which one is going to better suit your needs.
If you go, you need to have your wits about you as they’ll all try and tempt you in with “show prices”, but a quick google on your mobile will sometimes find the product cheaper elsewhere.
You can’t beat it though for having ever type of drive away awning on display!!!

I bought the Khyam Compact 300 originally and it lasted 3 trips. It was truly terrible. It doesn’t have a sewn in groundsheet so we were frozen on an evening. Wind blowing in from all directions.

I then went for a Vango Galli. Much more money, but so worth it.

If I were you I wouldnt do what I did.. I went for the cheap one first and threw my money away. Inflatable with sewn in ground sheet is the way forward. I’d recommend Vango for that.

Hope this helps.

Hi @Debra, the best advice I can give is get yourself along to something like the CCM (caravan, camping, and motor home) show at the NEC in Birmingham in February. You will find Khan, Vango, Outdoor Revolution there and you can get in the awnings, size them up to make the best decision about which one is going to better suit your needs.
If you go, you need to have your wits about you as they’ll all try and tempt you in with “show prices”, but a quick google on your mobile will sometimes find the product cheaper elsewhere.
You can’t beat it though for having ever type of drive away awning on display!!!

That’s great advice, thanks so much. We’ve decided that it makes sense to attend the show. We went to the recent show at Event City, but not impressed to be honest, hopefully the NEC will be much better and provide a lot more choice. Definitely not rushing into anything, want to try and get it right first time.

I bought the Khyam Compact 300 originally and it lasted 3 trips. It was truly terrible. It doesn’t have a sewn in groundsheet so we were frozen on an evening. Wind blowing in from all directions.

I then went for a Vango Galli. Much more money, but so worth it.

If I were you I wouldnt do what I did.. I went for the cheap one first and threw my money away. Inflatable with sewn in ground sheet is the way forward. I’d recommend Vango for that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this Andrew. I rang Glossop Caravans today who have quite a good awning section and they don’t sell the Khyam’s as they said there’s been too many complaints and problems over the years, which has put me off a bit. The sales guy I spoke with seemed to be plugging the inflatable Outdoor Revolution T2 which he said is really good and easy to erect. I’ll have a look at the Vango Galli, thanks so much for your advice, you’re right, cheap isn’t always the best option.

The T2 is a nice little awning, saw it at CCM last year. I have the T4.The T2 probably steps out from the van a similar distance as the T4 does, but it is not as long down the length of the van.
One other bit of advice is if you are looking for a side opening awning, rather than a front (along the longitudinal axis of the van) opening one, be aware that a lot of campsites have an overall width restriction. So long awnings that stretch away from the side of the van ‘could’ be problematic.

Looks just the job, I’ll have a look on line at prices etc, thanks for the pic. This is a great forum for sharing info, fab!!

The T2 is a nice little awning, saw it at CCM last year. I have the T4.The T2 probably steps out from the van a similar distance as the T4 does, but it is not as long down the length of the van.
One other bit of advice is if you are looking for a side opening awning, rather than a front (along the longitudinal axis of the van) opening one, be aware that a lot of campsites have an overall width restriction. So long awnings that stretch away from the side of the van ‘could’ be problematic.

Yes, this was the deal breaker for us. Wanted the awning opening to face the front rather than away from the van

A35B66C7-A55A-42EC-9179-6C948F8E293B.jpeg

They all look great - given me food for thought. Looking forward to the show and then will look around for the best deals - thanks everyone

This is my T4 Movelite Outdoor Revolution.

If you go for an Outdoor Revolution item, get the electric pump, the manual ones are poo. Mine broke first time out, held it together with insulation tape. @Pauly and @ZipcodeUK both have the T5. Pauly broke his pump at Busfest.

Yeah my pump/pipe also disconnects, fk'n aggravating thing. Keeping my eye on a good price for the elec pump. Rest of the gear is spot on though.

Reading this, think its a given we’ll be getting an electric pump as well, please let me know if you find one for a good price
Yeah my pump/pipe also disconnects, fk'n aggravating thing. Keeping my eye on a good price for the elec pump. Rest of the gear is spot on though.

Reading this, think its a given we’ll be getting an electric pump as well, please let me know if you find one for a good price
Get the one for the awning manufacturer. Sometimes they are not swappable, e.g @Fish has the Vango electric pump but it wouldn’t fit my Outdoor Revolution

I went for the Vango Hex (gazebo and not the van attached one) so I wasn’t limited to where I can use it. With a twin slider we can pitch it either side.

Make sure you buy one designed for a T6 size campervan - if you get the wrong one you will struggle to get it pitched correctly and the tunnel portion will flap around in the wind and/or fill up with water when it rains. For example, Vango have tall, medium and low versions of their driveways awnings - same products apart from the height at which they are designed to connect to the vehicle - in this case, Low is the one to go for.

As for pumps, I’m aware of the problems others have had with other manufacturers but I’ve had no problem with my Vango ones and wouldn’t consider an electric pump. The tubes are high volume but relatively low pressure - the supplied pumps are able to put a lot of air in very quickly - I have a range of electric air pumps and none of them will pump up as quickly as the manual pump.

Back