Awning decisions

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
With Bala weekend looming which is our first camping trip with the van i need to get several bits ordered and need some help/advice
We are just about decided on an awning and going for the Outdoor Revolution Movelite T5 not a cheap bit of kit but theres 5 of us so need something we can grow into as the kids get older (currently 4/9/13) so my question is i am looking at the accessories Footprint Groundsheet the Four Berth Inner Tent the Carpet and Zip in front door and Canopy, are these things worth adding considering how much time actually spent inside the tent (and the increase in overall cost) but if it rains that could increase considerably ?
Should i get it all now or just get the tent, whats worth the money and what isnt ??

Also looking at a rail for the van, i dont have roof bars and not likely to have them in the future so should i just run straps over the top of van and not bother with a rail or get a rail and kador strip from the start, if i get a rail i want something as discrete as possible utilising the factory fixings holes as not prepared to put holes in bodywork so what are the options and what would people recommend from past experience and if i do what kador strip do i need to join the two together ?

If you fit a rail to the existing bolts, you will need an extra sealing washer (water proof), for under bolt heads to avoid leaks, the OE goes underneath the roof rail, or Vicky verky.. It's also an idea to use the plumbers PTFE tape on the bolts threads, wound in the correct direction.. IMHO

I would always say get it all, but this being your first outing (aswell as our first taster in bus) I would be maybe suggest getting minimum, work out whats essential.. get the Mrs invol ed and make decisions on what your family do and need, then add as and when needed.

Not familiar with the awning so can't comment on that. However, I would say definitely get the footprint groundsheet. As well as protecting the awning's sewn in groundsheet and making it a lot easier to put away clean, they also help with pitching by giving you a visualisation of size and position of tent/awning. We have had them on our last 3 tents and now have one for the awning.

Well thats answered several points, groundsheet and internal rug/carpet are on the list with the inner bedroom divider thanks @Davenjo & @DaveyB for the chat on the phone
My main concern now is the overall size of the unit, just looking at the specs for the awning and the overall size is listed as width 310CM length 595CM so its pretty huge, now assuming this is without any guys/lines it occupies a fair bit of space, will this limit our camping options
What is the average pitch size in the UK, had a google around and 7x7m seems like a popular size ?

We've got a railsail rather than an awning, but I still needed a rail.
No pop top and no plans for roof bars so I went with a rail in the channel. I got the one from camper essentials which is expensive compared to some others, but nicely made, a good fit and discreet - and still cheap compared to a reimo rail or similar.

We've got a railsail rather than an awning, but I still needed a rail.
No pop top and no plans for roof bars so I went with a rail in the channel. I got the one from camper essentials which is expensive compared to some others, but nicely made, a good fit and discreet - and still cheap compared to a reimo rail or similar.
Just had a look at their site and all i see is rails that can be used in conjunction with roof bars, they seem overly expensive because of this and i have no plans for roof bars, which unit did you buy ?

JK do a rail that will fit a standard figure of eight just like an old fashioned gutter (no kador strip), it bolts into the 4 holes for a roofrack and costs just £19.50

Awning Rail T5 2003–2015 (SWB) - J29518, - :: Just Kampers
I really like the look of this, simple and does a job, only thing is it lists the size on the figure 8 as 8mm diameter with 4mm opening so would i be able to attach the awning to it directly as it uses a 6mm bead or would i need an additional figure of 8 and kador strip to reduce the size from 8 to 6mm ?

I really like the look of this, simple and does a job, only thing is it lists the size on the figure 8 as 8mm diameter with 4mm opening so would i be able to attach the awning to it directly as it uses a 6mm bead or would i need an additional figure of 8 and kador strip to reduce the size from 8 to 6mm ?
No problem at all, it's just bent metal, any figure of 8 should fit

But will a 6mm bead on the awning fit securely to an 8mm strip with a 4mm opening, i think thats what your saying but just want to double check

Can't answer that 100%, the only way would be to try it on a standard car gutter if such things still exist. We have a 6mm figure of 8

Thanks mate, i was looking at something totally different !

The awning would not matter it would be the choice of rail you use to fix it to the van with
I ended up buying one from camper essentials that uses factory roof fixings and is low profile so sits in the channel out of sight, they also do adapted rails that sit under roof bars if you want to use factory fixing holes
If not there are other options like reimo rail that fix directly to the van so aren't affected by roof bars

Hi. Do you know if there is a drive away awning available that can be fixed to a van with roof bars?
If you don't have a rail that can accept a kadar strip then there are ones that you can throw straps over the van roof to peg them on the other side of the van to hold the link tunnel against the vehicle. Personally though I don't overly like the thought of that though as the wind could make them chatter against the paintwork and damage it.

Back