Camping Ideas and Tips

Oh man, what is all this stuff? This thread is where the joy of the open road adventure goes to die…

Having said that, I’ll make an exception for the cadac, you can pry that from my cold dead fingers…

View attachment 120065
Its Glamping to the Max . . .

Were starting to get the kit out of storage for this years season. . .

Just realising we have loads of cool stuff to add to this thread.

Grass Roots campers best look away now.

:mexican wave:

Oh man, what is all this stuff? This thread is where the joy of the open road adventure goes to die…

perhaps you're forgetting that half this forum is staffed with those who take families away for a week at a time in their camper and would prefer to make life easier and simpler so they spend more time in/on the pool / bar / bikes etc.

id love to disappear wild camping in mine, but the wife and kids would hunt me down.

perhaps you're forgetting that half this forum is staffed with those who take families away for a week at a time in their camper and would prefer to make life easier and simpler so they spend more time in/on the pool / bar / bikes etc.

id love to disappear wild camping in mine, but the wife and kids would hunt me down.

You've cut the last bit of my post from your quote, but I was hoping that showed it was at least somewhat tongue in cheek...

This is the joy of the camper van, the ability to tailor it to whatever you want to do.

I have stayed on sites for a week at a time, in addition to the more free-wheeling road trip. I'm very definitely not forgetting about the family aspect though, and I can't remember a time when I slept in the van without the wife and kids - whether that's on a site or wild camping in some deserted bay somewhere.

We ha
would love a recommendation for a camping wardrobe if anyone has one. dont mock, I've come to the conclusion letting the wife pack a case and then fill one of those cupboard/wardrobe things is less grief than fighting through 4 rucksacks for clobber on a shower run in the morning.
We had Outwell kitchen cupboards when we tented, easy to use and packed flat, they may do a wardrobe.

would love a recommendation for a camping wardrobe if anyone has one. dont mock, I've come to the conclusion letting the wife pack a case and then fill one of those cupboard/wardrobe things is less grief than fighting through 4 rucksacks for clobber on a shower run in the morning.

Packing cubes, colour coded to each family member. Far easier to pack and manage.

Pete

we see this the other day in Decathlon.

not sure if its any good. . . looked interesting.

INFLATABLE CAMPING WARDROBE - AIR SECONDS​

£54.99

4.0 /5Read all reviews

Our camping team created this Air Seconds inflatable wardrobe for you to store, organise and protect your belongings and accessories on your campsite.
Our motivation? To offer you a tent wardrobe that is easy to inflate and includes shelves and pockets to organise and protect your belongings on your campsite.
COLOR: Linen / Dark petrol blue / Dark sepia

1623948535425.png1623948570657.png1623948577755.png

Last edited:
The Ultimate Glamping bed for Tent & Awning dwellers.

we love ours :mexican wave:

++++

Top Tip:

Put a double fleece blanket on the airbed.

Then put a normal fitted bed sheet over that (then your normal bedset ontop). . . . this will stop you getting too hot & sweaty over night in summer as it keeps a air gap from you and the plastic bed. . . this also help on cold nights by insulating you and stopping heat loss into the airbed..

also . . . if you get cold at night put a Tent carpet down under the airbed, or even better the foam sleepmat things. . . . it stops you loosing heat downwards.

++++

1623949190661.png

1623949226196.png

edit:

here is ours . . .

1623994701544.png1623994712573.png1623994727530.png

Last edited:
Cadacs are great . .

but i you want something quick and small, these single burner stoves are brilliant.

we have four of them for some reason . . i don't know why ?

we found two to be an ideal setup for us . . . kettle + Bacon . . . . Sausage + Beans . . . . Rice + Chilli

either way they work well for us.

1623994909362.png

1623995232215.png

1623994985694.png

1623995058854.png

Gas can work out pricey depending on where you got . . so we tend to buy it in bulk.

these work out @ £1.02 per can.

1623995172854.png

Last edited:
After a very successful first off grid solo camp, I have to recommend these.
I was a bit squeamish at first, but I now love it.
the coconut coir I cut into small bricks and bagged up. You pour two cups of water on it and it makes it a bag of compost
to put in first…and after.

F96E0FE4-8C15-4367-8CED-C1DC41B5A633.jpeg5A91A391-548A-47D9-A012-B451878BC48C.jpeg

- Insect Repellent -

we tried all the tricks and myths as we all have when it comes down to insect Repellent . . . none of then seemed to really work.

abroad in Spain we would get munched alive by the pesky mozzys,

and in the Uk would get killer bites from Horse flies when out Mountain Biking in the forest . . ouch !!

Thant was until a few years ago when we went to Sharm in Egypt for a summer holiday (Lovely place recommended if you haven't been).

after a few days i looked like a red spotted Dalmatian. . . .so had to go to the local witch-doctor / wise man (The Pharmacist).

This is where things changed - they sold me a can of Orange spray with Egyptian writing on and told me it was "The Good Stuff" !

Apparently it was designed by the Egyptian Military and had this magic ingredient called DEET, looking into it it was actually designed for the military . . . but the US one lol and made by Johnson - so not Egyptian at all.

All i can say is it worked !!! - and has done ever since.

Its "DEET based, Military grade Bug Juice" so not cheap - but you get what you pay for right.!

Safe to say i ended up bringing about 8cans back to the UK with us.

This is is the last of the Egyptian cans next to one i got in Turkey a year later . . . .

1623997845370.png

1623997861067.png

They now have a new can version:

1623997928950.png

and a fancy Green can Deep Woods version . . .

1623998054815.png

On the getting stung front . . .

after going to the Quack's after a few nasty bites . . .

They said use "Anthisan cream" as an afterbite cure . . . id never heard of it before.

1623998176542.png

and antihistamine like Clarityn - https://amzn.to/3zCagEv

1623998317778.png

and happy to say that they both worked great.

Avon oh so soft dry oil spray is an excellent alternative to DEET based sprays.. it does work .
Not sure if it’s a myth but I heard that’s what the army use when training in the highlands to keep the midges at bay

We have a couple of these. Really useful, hang anywhere and with integrated pegs they keep stuff from falling off

kuou 1 Pack Portable Clothesline, Elastic Clothesline Travel Washing Line Adjustable Retractable Airer Windproof Rope Clothesline with 12 Wire Clips for Camping Travel Clothes Laundry Drying Outdoor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X6M2FM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8P5EAYAVSS2Z71NMXX9B

edit: pics added.

1624008903386.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CAB
@Dellmassive is spot on recommending those little squat square stoves - we've used them for years and they work very well on cheap and widely available gas canisters (I've found the cheapest are often on line). We already had a decent stock of gas cylinders for them when we bought our camper so being tight 4arses, we still carry one with us even though we've got a two ring hob in the camper fed by Campingaz because it's a lot cheaper to use (the separate stove that is). There has been a few horror stories about them in the press but I ignore them nowadays as when you look at the detail, user error always seems to be the issue - people don't read the instructions and fail to turn the steel 'hob plate' over and cause the whole thing to overheat which is never a good idea where gas is concerned.

Last edited:
Back