Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Ditto the auxiliary belt which has to come off for access. Much cheaper to just change it while you're in there.

The water pump is purely a “whilst your there” service item based on the total labour over the cost of a water pump.
when I get mine done it will also be all rollers and tensioner etc.
Just had mine all done and they showed me the water pump. This isn’t any ordinary pump like the old days! I will try to explain........as well as the vanes which are permanently driven by the cambelt there is a circular steel shroud which goes around the vanes which is electric powered and controlled by the computer. When cold this shroud goes around the spinning vanes and prevents water being moved (so engine heats up quickly). As engine warms this shroud is retracted which allows water to circulate. So the water pump as well as being driven by the cambelt also has electric connections, some moving parts, a connection to the brain and more to go wrong.
mechanic said that in his opinion it Is vital to change the pump as well as the cambelt.
hope you follow a layman’s description and happy to be corrected.

Just had mine all done and they showed me the water pump. This isn’t any ordinary pump like the old days! I will try to explain........as well as the vanes which are permanently driven by the cambelt there is a circular steel shroud which goes around the vanes which is electric powered and controlled by the computer. When cold this shroud goes around the spinning vanes and prevents water being moved (so engine heats up quickly). As engine warms this shroud is retracted which allows water to circulate. So the water pump as well as being driven by the cambelt also has electric connections, some moving parts, a connection to the brain and more to go wrong.
mechanic said that in his opinion it Is vital to change the pump as well as the cambelt.
Hopefully it’s designed for default full flow if the control system fails.

Which year van do you have? This is (was) my pump, admittedly as a Euro 5 it's not strictly a T6 lump...

20200125_095850.jpg

Which year van do you have? This is (was) my pump, admittedly as a Euro 5 it's not strictly a T6 lump...

View attachment 73685
Mine is 4 years old this week, my pump had a big electrical cable on the back - can’t see one on yours?
i think this is the one, you can see the retractable shroud. (And it’s about £150.00!)
DC4F6B6C-2FAC-4CB6-AAE1-E0B6B118875F.jpeg

Last edited:
'sounds like you do then. I would assume (and stand to be corrected) that the moveable sleeve plays a part in the aux' water pump system, possibly a bypass for when the engine is off during stop/start for example. The auxiliary pump/system helps to maintain the flow of water during stop-start periods to maintain heating in the cabin and cooling in the EGR, chargecooler etc.

Just to add some more figures into the mix..........the belt manufacturers state six years as the limit based upon age.

For the four/five year debate, this extract from a Gates technical bulletin may throw some light on it - Please note that these replacement intervals are the OE recommendations for the maximum mileage of the drive. A quicker change can be required when the car is used in adverse conditions, such as very sporty driving, extreme temperatures (*), sand and gravel, running a lot on idle speed (taxis, delivery vans etc), frequent stops, always driving short distances, etc. VAG therefore advises to check the condition of the components at every major service. (*) e.g. For prolonged exposure to temperatures above 26 °C or below -6 °C, the change interval is reduced from 5 to 4 years.

I have reached the 4-year interval this month so I need to get mine done. Best get my wallet out!

Mine is 4 years old this week, my pump had a big electrical cable on the back - can’t see one on yours?
i think this is the one, you can see the retractable shroud. (And it’s about £150.00!)
View attachment 73688

Looks like this type of pump has reliability issues. If my MY16 Euro 5, 180ps has one fitted I’ll be looking to replace it with a non shrouded pump when it’s time.
I also found this regarding VW pump failures in the USA and lack of water pump maintenance schedule in VW documentation / manuals.

Looks like this type of pump has reliability issues. If my MY16 Euro 5, 180ps has one fitted I’ll be looking to replace it with a non shrouded pump when it’s time.
I also found this regarding VW pump failures in the USA and lack of water pump maintenance schedule in VW documentation / manuals.
Well it would appear my indie knew what he was talking about - he said that the waterpump was a bigger risk than the cambelt. Unfortunately as I have the extended warranty we had to use VW parts but next time we will look at the pump in the video as it appears to have the electric connections but not the shroud.
Good bit of research DXX.

Hello, new member here. I'm on the VWCC forum, and an issue has developed over the last few months about the recommended interval for cam belt change. A member contacted VWCS to ask for an explanation for the interval in UK being anywhere from 80,000 miles to 130,000 miles, but always at 4 years, while in Europe the recommendation is 210,000km without time limit but with inspections at every service. He has received two answers today from VWCS, the first claiming it came from the manufacturer in Germany, but the second saying that actually it was a decision by the UK importer, based on information about use which is "not available to share." I would like to ask members here to take a look at the thread, and give your reaction. Thanks.

Very interesting and an eye-opener. It certainly seems we as UK VW owners are just cash cows and of course the garage industry won't object, neither would I if it was bread and butter. I have had Kias for the last 11 years and I have my daughters Picanto which had its 7-year service in Feb, all done by authorized Kia garage, and not one word has been said about a cambelt change. If it is good enough for the European market, VW, at 210,000Km then it's good enough for me.
The problem is, we do succumb to, It could snap or the water pump may fail. Well, that could happen at any time if you have a faulty belt or pump. I wonder how many T5 or T6 are running around France, Germany that has had the pump and timing belt changed at 4 years? Some may say, I'm not taking any chances but if it hadn't been drummed into the UK market, 4 years, would you be saying that or running the course and perhaps getting it changed at say 10 years if the said mileage hasn't been achieved? Food for thought.

Very interesting and an eye-opener. It certainly seems we as UK VW owners are just cash cows and of course the garage industry won't object, neither would I if it was bread and butter. I have had Kias for the last 11 years and I have my daughters Picanto which had its 7-year service in Feb, all done by authorized Kia garage, and not one word has been said about a cambelt change. If it is good enough for the European market, VW, at 210,000Km then it's good enough for me.
The problem is, we do succumb to, It could snap or the water pump may fail. Well, that could happen at any time if you have a faulty belt or pump. I wonder how many T5 or T6 are running around France, Germany that has had the pump and timing belt changed at 4 years? Some may say, I'm not taking any chances but if it hadn't been drummed into the UK market, 4 years, would you be saying that or running the course and perhaps getting it changed at say 10 years if the said mileage hasn't been achieved? Food for thought.
The whole concept of the 210,000km max without time limit depends on the belt getting inspected at every service.

Back