Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Did my apprenticeship on these.......definitely no glow plugs or cam belts for that matter.
1608246995343.jpeg

In-cylinder glow plugs are only heated electrically for cold starting. During at temperature running they serve a secondary function of emitting residual heat from the previous combustion to aid in efficient combustion of the compressed fuel/air mixture when the fuel is injected. A glow plug has to be heated to glowing to start a cold engine. Does anyone think it then cools off once the electrical current is turned off?
And in a Transit engine?
Don't try to teach grandmother to suck eggs!
Sorry, I thought we were on the T6 forum talking about VW diesels, which use secondary residual heat from the in-cylinder glow plugs as part of the integral design of the combustion chamber.

Thank you for trying to explain about vw diesels however incorrect it is, I must remember all this so I can tell the other techs at work tomorrow we all have it wrong and that we don’t inspect belts right either,

I found this in SSP-316 regarding Extended Glow period, it is not activated if coolant temperature is above 20 degC.
Obviously a compression ignition engine isn’t using a glow plug as a spark plug! It seems VW are using extended glow to reduce emissions?
527B8739-BB79-44DA-8EEA-CD2638A68E70.png

I think you are confusing diesel engine operation where injection of high pressure atomised fuel into the high temperature environment of compressed air causes the fuel to ignite with a glowplug engine as used in Radio-Controlled models, which runs on Nitromethane.
In those, each combustion cycle keeps the platinum glowplug filament hot and ignites the mixture on the next cycle.
Not the same process.

Meanwhile, back to cambelt service...

when I get mine done, I am also going to replace the other little rollers and tensioner as the bearings can get a little noisy over time.

Meanwhile, back to cambelt service...

when I get mine done, I am also going to replace the other little rollers and tensioner as the bearings can get a little noisy over time.
They come with the cambelt kit anyway

Off on a tangent another this to contemplate is if anyone is thinking of going down the aftermarket belt route is to ask who makes the bearings, I’m sure the engineers on here will agree that it’s not to be overlooked the quality of there parts, don’t want any old willy woo sung bearing that’s 10% grit from new

Sorry, I thought we were on the T6 forum talking about VW diesels, which use secondary residual heat from the in-cylinder glow plugs as part of the integral design of the combustion chamber.
I think there may be a basic misunderstanding about ignition timing, which on diesel motors is controlled by the compression cycle and glow plugs and is not adjustable as there are no spark plugs, injection timing of the fuel, which is electronically controlled, and cam belt timing, which controls the physical relationship between the movement of the valve train and the pistons. If that is not correct there could be catastrophic damage to the engine, even if the belt itself is in perfect condition. Sounds like there was something else going on. If I were told by a mechanic that stalling on a roundabout could be remedied by changing the cam belt, I would find a different mechanic.

Grow up. You blithely stated the above general sweeping statement. You were corrected on that.

I've just had mine done. MOT was due so decided to add the cam belt. Water pump was done too. No more cam belt worries till another 140K or 4 yrs apparently. SMG Tonbridge. Very fast about it. :)

Hi all, have been reading this thread (all of it!) with interest.

My van is a 66 plate 102ps and has done 50,000 miles, bought second hand last summer.
It’s now due an annual service, so I think I’m going to get the water pump/cam belt done at the same time.

I understand that there was a cambelt recall, which kind of makes me think that going to a dealer is the way to go, to see if it’s affected by this or anything else as I’m not sure of the service history.
Was originally thinking of going to a local independent, but they won’t know this presumably?

I’m near Hampton Court in SW London, so Lookers in Hersham is the nearest I believe, anyone used them?
They are quoting £179 for an annual service and £549 for the cambelt and pump, is this reasonable?

Any advice or feedback welcomed! Thanks.

My van is a 66 plate 102ps and has done 50,000 miles, bought second hand last summer.
It’s now due an annual service, so I think I’m going to get the water pump/cam belt done at the same time.

I understand that there was a cambelt recall, which kind of makes me think that going to a dealer is the way to go, to see if it’s affected by this or anything else as I’m not sure of the service history.
Was originally thinking of going to a local independent, but they won’t know this presumably?

I’m near Hampton Court in SW London, so Lookers in Hersham is the nearest I believe, anyone used them?
They are quoting £179 for an annual service and £549 for the cambelt and pump, is this reasonable?

The price is approx what I paid (including vat)with breeze vw dealer here in Southampton . Yes

That's an ok price.

That's an ok price.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I’ll see if the van is affected by the recall, and if so I’ll be expecting a discount on the £549 price!
Will report back.

I’m also going to ask them to look at an intermittent fault with my passenger side fog light which intermittently goes on or off. Any advice on any DIY troubleshooting before I take it in?

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’ll see if the van is affected by the recall, and if so I’ll be expecting a discount on the £549 price!
Will report back.

I’m also going to ask them to look at an intermittent fault with my passenger side fog light which intermittently goes on or off. Any advice on any DIY troubleshooting before I take it in?

Re the light. I'd try the bulb holder first. Sounds more like an earthing issue.

Back