Cam Belt Change requirement

If I’d got the motivation I’d be touting for a bit of private work lol love doing these belts,wouldn’t know what to do after morning tea break lol

If I’d got the motivation I’d be touting for a bit of private work lol love doing these belts,wouldn’t know what to do after morning tea break lol
I was thinking that there’s a market for a mobile service, not hard to beat main dealer prices, just join the dots on a map with bookings.
5 / day at 400 quid a go!

I was thinking that there’s a market for a mobile service, not hard to beat main dealer prices, just join the dots on a map with bookings.
Lol not far off my thinking tbh

I agree but I guess the travelling would kill the profit unless you put perhaps a 60 mile radius limit on it, or similar.

I agree but I guess the travelling would kill the profit unless you put perhaps a 60 mile radius limit on it, or similar.
Just get enough bookings and work a loop within a reasonable radius. For a longer loop if you have a camper you have the accommodation.

so do ya fancy it then .mine needs doing.

Gutentag!

My T30 102 is up for its MOT in July. VW has called me to book it in and while doing so said I will need the cam belt and water pump doing as well, at the princely sum of £576......

The van is on 56k, used as my daily driver and fully converted to 4 berth camper. Deutschland VWs are recommended for the work to be done every 80k or 7 years. So why is the garage recommending the work done now? I dont get it. Is it rip off Britain again?

All thoughts and opinions appreciated

That might be a bit early . . . ?

Timing belt - 120k miles or 4yrs

EDIT: additional information.

updated jan 2020

credits: @buchanan84 @Dellmassive @Loz

Engine oil/filter - 10k 1yr / 18k 2yr (7.4ltrs TDI)(5.7lts TSI)(Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 LL FST Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil - Service Pack: 7 litres)
Air filter - every 30,000km or 2 years
fuel filter: 40,000km
pollen filters - every 30,000km or 1 years
Dsg oil and filter - 60,000km 40k miles 3yrs (6ltrs)
4motion Haldex - 40k 3yrs
Spark plugs - 60,000km or 4yrs
Brake fluid - At year 3 and every 2 years after that
Brake pads & discs - checked At least once a year. (2mm min pad wear limit)
AC - 2yrs
CV boots - Checked At every service and MOT test.
Shock absorbers - checked At every MOT test and service.
Tyres - Every MOT test and service; and regularly by driver.
wiper blades - At every MOT test.

That might be a bit early . . . ?

EDIT: additional information.

updated jan 2020

credits: @buchanan84 @Dellmassive @Loz

Engine oil/filter - 10k 1yr / 18k 2yr (7.4ltrs TDI)(5.7lts TSI)(Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 LL FST Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil - Service Pack: 7 litres)
Air filter - every 30,000km or 2 years
fuel filter: 40,000km
pollen filters - every 30,000km or 1 years
Dsg oil and filter - 60,000km 40k miles 3yrs (6ltrs)
4motion Haldex - 40k 3yrs
Spark plugs - 60,000km or 4yrs
Brake fluid - At year 3 and every 2 years after that
Brake pads & discs - checked At least once a year. (2mm min pad wear limit)
AC - 2yrs
CV boots - Checked At every service and MOT test.
Shock absorbers - checked At every MOT test and service.
Tyres - Every MOT test and service; and regularly by driver.
wiper blades - At every MOT test.

Cheers @Dellmassive ! Much appreciated. I guess I'll rack it up as yet another cost of owning a T...... lol

The VW service manual doesn't have a time limit, only 210,000 kms, with regular inspections. The 4 year change is only in the UK, recommended by the importer, not VW. When asked by a forum member to explain the difference from the continent, they were told that the criteria was "not available to be shared."

@Loz also contacted the belt manufacturer, who said that the belt is designed for 10 years service, but in case of VW they recommend 7 years, with inspections at every service.

As has been frequently mentioned, VW has a service order out for faulty cam belts fitted to some T6s. VW will not notify owners unless they go for an official service, or ask about this specific order. A failure would likely be major damage.

Last edited:
Just had my T6 (CAAC engine) done at 51k & 5yrs last month, independent workshop with genuine parts that I supplied.

That was timing belt kit 03L 198 119F - Water pump 03L 121 011P - one stud & one bolt 1.9hrs labour plus coolant flush - total £482.44.

@KombiKommando if you are west of the West Midlands that was at Priorslee Motors Services if it's close enough to you to be useful.

I keep seeing this job costing us anywhere from £450 - £600.
I can get the parts (for my engine CXGB) for between £120 - £150.
GATES Water Pump & Timing Belt Set
MEYLE Water Pump & Timing Belt Set

So are garages and dealers charging us £300 - £450 for 2 hours labour?

I'd be expecting to pay no more than £300 for the labour and parts if the job only takes 2 hours.
So how come it normally costs so much more?

I'd love to hear what this forums resident mechanic @Niknak thinks about this.

Mine's due in the next few months hence my interest.

The VW service manual doesn't have a time limit, only 210,000 kms, with regular inspections. The 4 year change is only in the UK, recommended by the importer, not VW. When asked by a forum member to explain the difference from the continent, they were told that the criteria was "not available to be shared."

@Loz also contacted the belt manufacturer, who said that the belt is designed for 10 years service, but in case of VW they recommend 7 years, with inspections at every service.

As has been frequently mentioned, VW has a service order out for faulty cam belts fitted to some T6s. VW will not notify owners unless they go for an official service, or ask about this specific order. A failure would likely be major damage.
Got to admit, when I hear of people getting cambelts done at 4 years old and 20K miles, I can't help smiling. but then I sometimes ride my bike without wearing a helmet, every day is a new risk, especially these days! I shouldn't even be here by now, the "risks" I've taken! :slow rofl:

Just because the cambelts can be done in around the 2 hrs mark dealers run on book time and you’ll be charged a standard vw labour time, personally I won’t fit pattern parts to me it’s the equivalent to using deep heat as pile cream just cause it’s in a similar looking tube doesn’t mean it’s the same, the cambelt debate is getting a bit tedious tbh if you want to run the risk of grenading your engine leave it and that’s fine but you don’t get to whinge when it goes wrong, to me it makes me smile so many people seem to haemorrhage money onto their vans on things that are shiny or others can see, when it comes to engine parts it’s a different storey.
Each to their own no one knows best but I’d like to thank some people that think they do for paying my bills and the shiny bits for my van lol

Just because the cambelts can be done in around the 2 hrs mark dealers run on book time and you’ll be charged a standard vw labour time, personally I won’t fit pattern parts to me it’s the equivalent to using deep heat as pile cream just cause it’s in a similar looking tube doesn’t mean it’s the same, the cambelt debate is getting a bit tedious tbh if you want to run the risk of grenading your engine leave it and that’s fine but you don’t get to whinge when it goes wrong, to me it makes me smile so many people seem to haemorrhage money onto their vans on things that are shiny or others can see, when it comes to engine parts it’s a different storey.
Each to their own no one knows best but I’d like to thank some people that think they do for paying my bills and the shiny bits for my van lol
Oh and to make other smile I done mine at under four years and 16000 miles cause I just bought the van and didn’t want to do it when it was cold

Perhaps some feedback on the condition of the removed belts at given age and mileage would be more helpful for those that are considering extending the service interval.

Back