Cam Belt Change requirement

Have a good read, VW UK maintenance intervals are different to the rest of Europe.
If you’ve done 103K on the same belt I’m sure many of us would be interested in seeing it’s condition when you get it renewed.

Last edited by a moderator:
additional info here:

Cambelt (toothed belt): service interval replace at 120k miles or 4yrs.

upload_2020-1-11_19-57-20-png.58099

upload_2020-1-11_19-58-6-png.58100

Camshaft drive toothed belt: Checking condition every 40k
Applicable to
t 2.0 l diesel engines
Carry out the following jobs:
Remove toothed belt guard
– Turn crankshaft at least one full turn and check toothed belt condition on following points:
t Cracks, cross sectional breaks
t Layer separation (toothed belt body, tensile cords)
t Toothed belt body breakup
t Fraying of cord strands
t Surface cracks (synthetic coating)
t Traces of oil and grease

If faults are found always renew toothed belt. This will avoid possible breakdowns or operating problems. The replacement of a toothed belt is a repair measure.

upload_2020-1-11_20-13-50-png.58105

upload_2020-1-11_20-14-11-png.58106

6.JPG

Any T6 with an EU5 engine must now be 5 years old so even if you go with the manufacturers recommendations that European dealers work from, it's still due a cambelt change. If it were mine I'd be on the phone at 9.00 AM tomorrow!
I did mine at 5 years with 40K miles.

Any T6 with an EU5 engine must now be 5 years old so even if you go with the manufacturers recommendations that European dealers work from, it's still due a cambelt change. If it were mine I'd be on the phone at 9.00 AM tomorrow!
I’m with you on that. I’ve just bought a low 40k miles 2012 Audi A3 which has similar VAG advice about cam belt changes. No evidence it had been done at 5 years so before I even got it delivered I got the cam belt and water pump changed. It’s just not worth the risk on an engine that you plan to keep running for a few years.

Same here, piece of mind. I've had a few belts let go in cars over the years so changing the van belt and pump cost is a small price to pay in comparison. i changed the aux belt, pully and tensioner while i was in there too

Same here, piece of mind. I've had a few belts let go in cars over the years so changing the van belt and pump cost is a small price to pay in comparison. i changed the aux belt, pully and tensioner while i was in there too
Yes, it's a no brainer to do the lot.

How much is the going rate for these to be changed?

My van will be 4 years old in Sept and VW say it needs to be done. Mileage will be about 36k

How much is the going rate for these to be changed?

My van will be 4 years old in Sept and VW say it needs to be done. Mileage will be about 36k
I paid £422 for cambelt, water pump and auxiliary belt at my local independent garage, a dealer will obviously charge much more.

I was quoted £660 for the belt and pump at a VW dealer 2 weeks ago as mine is due later this year.

Seems like madness when the van has only done 17k but 4 years is up.

I will be using an independent if VW don’t approve the ‘All In’ service and warranty plan.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help, my local VW dealer confirmed 5 years to 100k miles, so its due now, they want £699, so will not be using them, but as I am selling the van soon I need get it done, dont want the new owner to have any problems and also I expect anybody wanting to buy it would like to have known it had been changed.

Can I have opinions on my cam belt photos please?

It's a T5.1 Kombi 2.0 (CAAC) manual. Has had all of it's services at correct intervals

The vans on 103,000 and of course the book says change at 140,000 but some others say do at 5 years or whichever is the sooner!

However i'm probably about to try to sell it and don't particularly want to spend 500 odd quid if I can help it, although only if I can justify it to the buyer.

What do people feel the condition is like from my pics? Is the lighter coloured criss cross patterning on them from new or wear?

Thanks

Cam 1.jpeg

IMG_9941.jpeg

Cam 3.jpeg

Can I have opinions on my cam belt photos please?

It's a T5.1 Kombi 2.0 (CAAC) manual. Has had all of it's services at correct intervals

The vans on 103,000 and of course the book says change at 140,000 but some others say do at 5 years or whichever is the sooner!

However i'm probably about to try to sell it and don't particularly want to spend 500 odd quid if I can help it, although only if I can justify it to the buyer.

What do people feel the condition is like from my pics? Is the lighter coloured criss cross patterning on them from new or wear?

Thanks

View attachment 122413

View attachment 122414

View attachment 122415
I'd be wary of judging a cambelt from its appearance. I'm assuming the cambelt on it is the one it came out of the factory with.
I don't know the age of your van but surely as a T5.1 it must be over 5 years old? If I was buying the van from you I'd be trying to knock £500 off the asking price if I know I need a new cambelt, to be honest if I were you I'd get it done as I think at that mileage every trip out in it is a gamble!

I'd be wary of judging a cambelt from its appearance. I'm assuming the cambelt on it is the one it came out of the factory with.
I don't know the age of your van but surely as a T5.1 it must be over 5 years old? If I was buying the van from you I'd be trying to knock £500 off the asking price if I know I need a new cambelt, to be honest if I were you I'd get it done as I think at that mileage every trip out in it is a gamble!
Dave thanks. It's 2014 and i'm assuming it's not had one as the services have all been main dealer and it's not in the book.

Edit: I stand correctly, just looked in he book again and it had a replacement on 62,368 miles November 2018. Just didn't expect to see it done that early. So they did it at the 4 year point.

Dave thanks. It's 2014 and i'm assuming it's not had one as the services have all been main dealer and it's not in the book.

Edit: I stand correctly, just looked in he book again and it had a replacement on 62,368 miles November 2018. Just didn't expect to see it done that early. So they did it at the 4 year point.
Ah, you're OK then, no need to do it and you can prove it's been done to any prospective buyer. All good!

Ah, you're OK then, no need to do it and you can prove it's been done to any prospective buyer. All good!
What with the recommendation of it needing doing again November 2022 or at ***** mileage?

What with the recommendation of it needing doing again November 2022 or at ***** mileage?
For my T6 It's every 210,000KM which is 130,000 miles or 4 years so by those recommendations yours would be due as you say November 2022 or at 192,368 miles whichever comes first, but depending on your engine that might vary slightly. Your buyer would have to be a high mileage user to be worried about getting to that mileage in a year and a half!

If it's been done as you say, it might have saved you a bit of aggro when you do find a prospective buyer. Personally, I would either be looking for the seller to do the job or take the cost of the work off the selling price - or I would walk. I know that there's a lot of talk about a shortage of good (or even indifferent) used vans on the market at the moment but one thing that I have learnt in my 40+ years of buying cars is that if you have any doubts, walk away because there's always another one around the corner. There's also the point that if the replacement wasn't done at either the right time or mileage, I might be asking myself what else had been missed! Of course, that's all coming from somebody who knows stuff all about the mechanical side of cars so might not be worth much!

For my T6 It's every 210,000KM which is 130,000 miles or 4 years so by those recommendations yours would be due as you say November 2022 or at 192,368 miles whichever comes first, but depending on your engine that might vary slightly. Your buyer would have to be a high mileage user to be worried about getting to that mileage in a year and a half!
What I thought but thanks for confirming
Edit: It's the 138bhp

If it's been done as you say, it might have saved you a bit of aggro when you do find a prospective buyer. Personally, I would either be looking for the seller to do the job or take the cost of the work off the selling price - or I would walk. I know that there's a lot of talk about a shortage of good (or even indifferent) used vans on the market at the moment but one thing that I have learnt in my 40+ years of buying cars is that if you have any doubts, walk away because there's always another one around the corner. There's also the point that if the replacement wasn't done at either the right time or mileage, I might be asking myself what else had been missed! Of course, that's all coming from somebody who knows stuff all about the mechanical side of cars so might not be worth much!
Thanks Ayjay, have just dug though the other paperwork and also have it mentioned on an invoice for full service at the same date, so proof enough me thinks.

Back