Cam Belt Change requirement

Have t6 camper conversion and it has just done 35,000. Local van centre advises service plus cambelt + water pump replacement as van reached 4 years (reg'ed March 17).
Are these replacements really necessary in view of low mileage ?

Have t6 camper conversion and it has just done 35,000. Local van centre advises service plus cambelt + water pump replacement as van reached 4 years (reg'ed March 17).
Hi @Josmall … Don’t really think the mileage is the issue its more the age of the rubber cam belt….Rubber will degrade and harden over time…and as you change the belt the water pump gets done as a safety measure as it’s relatively cheap to change together …it’s the labour costs that hurt….better be safe than sorry…:)

Officially, yes.
In the UK the cambelt change interval is 4 years regardless of how little mileage you've done.
In mainland Europe the official recommendation is 5 years, so I went with that as I don't see how conditions are any different in, say, Germany, to here, and like you I had very low mileage. I certainly don't suggest that you do what I did, if you do it's at your risk.
If you go a day over the 4 years and if the worst happens, you'll obviously get zero sympathy here or at your dealer, and a massive repair bill!
As with everything, you have to decide if you want to risk not having it done now, bearing in mind the potential consequences.

Lots of opinion and info on here regarding this.
I had mine done in line with the 4 year recommendation, despite my feelings that it is a short interval...and varies from other markets.

Hi @Josmall … Don’t really think the mileage is the issue its more the age of the rubber cam belt….Rubber will degrade and harden over time…and as you change the belt the water pump gets done as a safety measure as it’s relatively cheap to change together …it’s the labour costs that hurt….better be safe than sorry…:)
Thanks for your advice. Will bite the bullet !

Officially, yes.
In the UK the cambelt change interval is 4 years regardless of how little mileage you've done.
In mainland Europe the official recommendation is 5 years, so I went with that as I don't see how conditions are any different in, say, Germany, to here, and like you I had very low mileage. I certainly don't suggest that you do what I did, if you do it's at your risk.
If you go a day over the 4 years and if the worst happens, you'll obviously get zero sympathy here or at your dealer, and a massive repair bill!
As with everything, you have to decide if you want to risk not having it done now, bearing in mind the potential consequences.
Many thanks. John

@Noddy996. Thanks - that's useful information. As to the subject in general, this scab has been picked at ad nauseum and the bottom line is make your own choice but adhering to anything other than the gospel according to VW UK is asking for problems and a big bill in the event of a failure (which will probably not occur but...). Mine is a few days short 3 years old and it's still at under 7K miles but I had always planned on getting the cam belt and water pump done at 4 years. Thanks to Noddy, I'll now add aux belt to the job.

Gates the belt manufacturer says design life 10 Years
Gates manufacture to VW agreed 7-year life span
VW Group says 210,000K
VWUK (a sales company) says 4 years plus water pump due to labour (you might as well do both)

Last edited:
As already mentioned, it’s the condition of the rubber belt.
@katerin had hers go at 2 years. Ouch.

Threads merged.

I’d get the aux belt done at the same time @Josmall. It should only be the price of the belt - an extra @£30.
These have been known to fail and take out the cam belt…
Thanks for your reply. Had the auxiliary belt replaced at roughly 30k miles as the tensioner idle wheel bearing developed a squeak/whistling noise.

I’m currently at approx 50k miles and 5 years, 3 months.
I’ve inspected the belt and I have no concerns.
What’s good for a van in Europe is good here providing you are not relying on VW warranty.
If my van had a shrouded water pump I would have replaced it with a non shrouded unit as the reliability of this pump is poor. A seized pump is going to result in a broken timing belt.
There is no way I would be fitting a shrouded water pump when the belt is replaced.
My experience of manufacturers cure dates with rubber products is up to 8-10 years from manufacture stored in the correct conditions.
Service time is obviously going to be less than storage time.
Most importantly I can afford to repair the engine if it does break, my choice.

I’m currently at approx 50k miles and 5 years, 3 months.
I’ve inspected the belt and I have no concerns.
What’s good for a van in Europe is good here providing you are not relying on VW warranty.
If my van had a shrouded water pump I would have replaced it with a non shrouded unit as the reliability of this pump is poor. A seized pump is going to result in a broken timing belt.
There is no way I would be fitting a shrouded water pump when the belt is replaced.
My experience of manufacturers cure dates with rubber products is up to 8-10 years from manufacture stored in the correct conditions.
Service time is obviously going to be less than storage time.
Most importantly I can afford to repair the engine if it does break, my choice.
I too am sailing in the shark infested waters of year 5 with no cam belt change

As DXX rightly says, I'll have to face the consequences if the cambelt let's go at 20,000 miles and under 5 years old.

I too am sailing in the shark infested waters of year 5 with no cam belt change
You and most German, French, Belgian etc T6 owners who are following the advice given by their dealers - change it at 5 years or X miles.

Reactions: .50
VW Australia advises 105,000km or 7 years, which ever comes first.
Certainly gets confusing with so many different recommendations in different countries.

So, out of interest, all of ye quoting £350 / £400 / £500'ish, I'd be interested in knowing whether any of these were on a BiTurbo 204? And (if anyone who knows what they are talking about can comment) what needs doing? Because I've had one VW dealer tell me they don't need to change the water pump - and the dealer who did the job changed the pump - which obviously adds cost. My inclination has always been to change the pump - but I don't recall ever paying £150 + for a pump!! Which I understand is some new-fangled electric thing on the 204.

Just by way of comparison, my 2011 2.0 165 5 cyl V70 Volvo has just had a belt change - at 10 years! Which is the recommended age-related period - and no water pump. I double checked that, and I gather it's not normal practise on the Volvo engine.

Morning All, My Vw t6 2017 34000miles Is coming up to 4 years old! just spoke to my VW Dealer, major service £378 Cambelt and water pump £576 So £954 All in!!

Morning All, My Vw t6 2017 34000miles Is coming up to 4 years old! just spoke to my VW Dealer, major service £378 Cambelt and water pump £576 So £954 All in!!
Its up to you, but I pushed mine to 5 years as it's also low mileage.

Officially, yes.

Several dealers in Germany told me 10 years/220,000kms

Back