Cali or 6.1 conversion?

DrC

Currently own a California DSG but want a manual so looking at a conversion (LWB high line) the van we’ve found is expedition camper (camper king) which seems to be a marmite converter! Are we being daft swapping our cali for a conversion for roughly similar money? It does feel like a downgraded van which isn’t any cheaper, depreciation of them worries me too. Anybody gone from cali to transporter and regretted? And are ck conversions as shocking as everyone says?

If you view the move as a downgrade, then I'd suggest you're looking at the wrong custom conversion.

I just feel like we’re paying similar money for less luxury, no heated seats climate control/speakers in back and front is rubber not carpet. I like the conversion and it will be more useful for us as a family but ck conversions don’t seem to get a good rep so it’s made me overthink the whole thing!

Currently own a California DSG but want a manual so looking at a conversion (LWB high line) the van we’ve found is expedition camper (camper king) which seems to be a marmite converter! Are we being daft swapping our cali for a conversion for roughly similar money? It does feel like a downgraded van which isn’t any cheaper, depreciation of them worries me too. Anybody gone from cali to transporter and regretted? And are ck conversions as shocking as everyone says?
Until I got to “Camper King” I was going to say go for it. I’m not a fan of Calis, but I’d have one any day over a CK conversion. There are far better (or should that be “not many worse”) than CK. So yes, certainly consider a swap, but not to a CK.
All just my opinion FWIW.

Reactions: Bav
Until I got to “Camper King” I was going to say go for it. I’m not a fan of Calis, but I’d have one any day over a CK conversion. Ther are far better (or should that be “not many worse”) than CK. So yes, certainly consider a swap, but not to a CK.
All just my opinion FWIW.
Wot 'e said.

Can I ask why not ck? Build quality doesn’t look dissimilar to others we’ve seen

Can I ask why not ck? Build quality doesn’t look dissimilar to others we’ve seen
It depends how deep you look. We looked at CK when we were researching our conversion. I spent an hour at their HQ showroom near Warwick & legged it. They are thrown together at a price, base vehicles (at top money) shoddy workmanship, no insulation. Overall, made as cheaply as possible with a bit of bling thrown on to hook the punters.

What's the reason for switching from dsg to manual? If you had steering wheel with paddle shifters would it help?

Re depreciation, if you design a custom camper that suits your use case and that design is well executed, then it will hold it's value well for others with the same use case.

What's the reason for switching from dsg to manual? If you had steering wheel with paddle shifters would it help?
I hate the dsg! We thought I would learn to love it but I don’t. I like driving without using my brakes all the time!

Re depreciation, if you design a custom camper that suits your use case and that design is well executed, then it will hold it's value well for others with the same use case.
Yeh we plan to use it and keep it a long time so I think I’m just overthinking this now. Without going for ck I think we’ll have to wait a while or reconsider getting another swb

Yeh we plan to use it and keep it a long time so I think I’m just overthinking this now. Without going for ck I think we’ll have to wait a while or reconsider getting another swb
IMO, one of the big advantages of going the custom route is the option of a LWB.

I hate the dsg! We thought I would learn to love it but I don’t. I like driving without using my brakes all the time!
Have you coasting disabled? This brings in engine braking and you need to use the brakes less.
Have you tried manually changing gears? If that suits you then a steering wheel swap with paddle gears is an option.
Or is it the clutch control of the manual that you miss?

Have you coasting disabled? This brings in engine braking and you need to use the brakes less.
Have you tried manually changing gears? If that suits you then a steering wheel swap with paddle gears is an option.
Or is it the clutch control of the manual that you miss?
Tried everything but I miss my clutch!

Huge advantage of custom for us was bigger bed. No way me and the mrs could put up with the smaller bed in the Cali. If you’re in the midlands CK area I recommend coast2coast campers. Been amazing.

Huge advantage of custom for us was bigger bed. No way me and the mrs could put up with the smaller bed in the Cali. If you’re in the midlands CK area I recommend coast2coast campers. Been amazing.
That was part of the reason we ended up looking at the ck conversion, nearly 20cm extra bed looks fab!!

Yep it’s a big difference. Proper mattress and we sleep better in the van than our normal bed lol

Back