Starting from scratch - advice/ideas please.

Scott7045

Hello all,

I'm brand new to this forum and am after some general advice re: buying and converter a van.
This will be first foray into owning a van after my wife, son and I rented one last year and loved it.

My wife has a taste for quality so obviously this plays heavy on most of the decisions 'I' will be making.

My general plan is to buy a van 4-5 years old, and have a professional conversion - getting a personalised experience but not making a hash job of it if I was to do it my self.
Budget would probably be about £45k, so roughly 20-25 for the van and 20-25 for the conversion.

A few pointers on the base van itself -

Thinking of a T30/32 Highline either Manual or DSG, I have a feeling I would err towards a 150ps or 204ps - given that I will be using it daily I feel 102ps just wouldn't cut the mustard. What are peoples thoughts on that? Performance vs Economy.

As for the conversion

My specific requirements would include
Double front seat
Sliding rear California style seat
Leather or faux upholstery.
Hob and sink - not to fussed about the grill
Plenty of storage
Comfy 'upstairs' bed and pop top.

Questions regarding this -
Has anyone travelled with dogs in the back with Cali style seat? I like the idea of the parcel shelf with storage underneath, but also would like the seats to move for my son to be closer.
Converters - this seems to be an absolute minefield - I live in the midlands so can travel anywhere. I have heard good things about Cambridge Campers, but not sure they would offer the Cali style seat.
I do like the look of Exploria, but just worry this might be too upmarket with conversions starting at £18k, any thoughts on midlands based converters? Coast 2 Coast?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the 'how long is piece of string' style questions, but i'm just after a few pointers in the right direction.

S

If you're looking at a rail-system beds then i was considering this when looking, decided to go fixed in the end but here is the info:

My advice would be to think very carefully and take your time. Consider if this vehicle might be used for duel use. Might it be a sole or main vehicle for instance. Do you think a 4Motion might be useful or not. There are many comments on this board, relating to the unsuitability of the main driving lights. Therefore it might be prudent to buy a vehicle, with original equipment LED head lights or an earlierT5 with HID headlamps. I can not comment on what conversions are best but many on here will help to guide you. Their are plenty of outlets, that do this sort of thing and many on here have done their own work and fittings. Take your time and source the most suitable vehicle for yourselves. Enjoy your journey.:)

Thanks all for the input.

Head lights definitely seem an issue so are something to consider.
Re: 4 motion. i'm torn, i currently have an xDrive BMW with winter tyres during the colder months. When it has snowed it has been incredible and turned many a head seeing a little 1 series towing a 2WD SUV up a snowy hill, but those days have been incredibly rare. As with many others i think the tyres are the big issue as opposed to the 4WD.

There is absolutely no doubt that tyres play a big part in winter traction. It is in fact more than that. The most important task they do is stopping and keeping us on the road in the winter regardless. Forward traction is the least of the concern. My home is a hill farm, you might be amazed what a a two wheel drive vehicle, and yes even a BMW series one can do with winter tyres both off road and on in any weather.

A car with 4Motion and winter tyres is even better by far, as you can attest. I would not have been interested in the least with a T6 without 4 wheel capability regardless of winter tyres because of my circumstances. I have almost a mile to any road without a proper hard surface track across wet poached fields and in the winter it can be quite dire. I do not expect many on here are quite in that position. There will be people perhaps that work in similar circumstances I am sure.

Many of you guys will be possibly visiting farm camp sites and perhaps a few venturing to out of the way farms or sites were the track might leave a little to be desired. Pulling on to slippery wet grass to pitch up and the extracting ones self off again when the ground is perhaps poached. Many do not wish to be driving around all year with winter or off road tyres.

Of course letting a serious amount of air out of any tyre helps immensely. It can become trying if it is a frequent occurrence, not always successful and one has to pump them up again. All very tiring. Of course many of the out of way places are down difficult single track roads with few passing places. Its amazing how many vehicles that one comes up to, that have simply no idea of width of their vehicle or are capable or even, of thinking of driving backwards. It is beyond them. So there is always that awkward time when someone has to take his or her, T6 or what ever, off the side of the road in poor weather. Where running the risk of getting stuck is a possibility. The other vehicle just probably just caries on. Then what?

Its up to you, above is just a very few typical possibilities. I have given more than a few a tow out over the years. Most perhaps will get by without need. the other thing is for me. I use engine braking a lot of the time. A vehicle with 4 wheel drive capability is far safer negotiating country roads in poor conditions. One can lift off the throttle, with a higher safety margin and know that the engine is braking on all wheels, not just two. Naturally 4 wheel drive vehicles are not invulnerable to ending up in a ditch in the winter. The other thing is vehicles with 4 wheel drive capability, accelerate far more capably with less wheel tramp or spin. Anyway perhaps you do not need it.

Reactions: CAB
Oh, the other thing is the 80L fuel tank. I do not know why it is not a standard fit! It would be handy if VW had some other options regarding this such as long range tanks, instead of adventurers having to find their own.

Take your time, have a look at plenty of different options when it comes to interior configuration. I started off thinking I definitely wanted a full width bed and some sort of kitchen pod.. After seeing other vans and getting a better understanding of my use I'm now in the middle of a build for slim units and a 130 Bed.

As far as the base van goes, I have a T30 (102) Kombi. We went down to Cornwall in the summer (still a Kombi at this stage), van loaded up with bikes, bags, food, 6 people and probably the kitchen sink!! We did around 850 miles, didn't struggle on performance, sat happily on the motorway at 70ish and got around 700miles to a full tank. There's always the likes of Pendle Performance who will map as well. I can only give my opinion and the 102 is fine for me, others may differ which could be affected by use.

If I were to buy again the only thing I would probably try for is a 4motion but given my usage as a daily and occasional weekend warrior it would probably be overkill.

Oh and pick an nice colour :p

Plenty of info in this forum

Back