Cali conversions - what did you use for a 'multiflex board' to make the seat into a bed? And toppers

This looks promising for anyone looking for an off-the-shelf multiflex board at the correct height for the 2 seater cali bed. SWB/LWB. @Skyliner33

This looks promising for anyone looking for an off-the-shelf multiflex board at the correct height for the 2 seater cali bed. SWB/LWB. @Skyliner33

Thanks.

Seen it. Its too tall into as the board itself is the same height as the top of the seat. Needs to be lower so you can put a mattress bit on the board.

Thanks.

Seen it. Its too tall into as the board itself is the same height as the top of the seat. Needs to be lower so you can put a mattress bit on the board.
Hi Jon, on the Cali ocean it is a frame which is the same height as the bed when lay flat, the topper then sits across the frame and the seat

Hi Jon, on the Cali ocean it is a frame which is the same height as the bed when lay flat, the topper then sits across the frame and the seat
Yes, I understand that thanks. I just think the extra cushions, like the Caravelle OEM board has and the Cali beach will be more comfortable. Especially as I prefer to sleep head at tailgate.

I’m going to put my Cali seat and rails up for sale as soon as I decide what other way to go.

Yes, I understand that thanks. I just think the extra cushions, like the Caravelle OEM board has and the Cali beach will be more comfortable. Especially as I prefer to sleep head at tailgate.
Now I understand why so you want about 5cm’ish lower
Definitely a bespoke item.I have 2 multi flex board legs if you want to reduce to size

Does anyone know where you can get the bed extension ecowagon use in the pic below, or is it something they just make for their own conversions?

1666638127493.png

I'm now starting this task and researching options. Here a custom frame maker, I need the T-shaped bolts to tighten these in the rail.

Found the T-shaped fixings and bought them:

Starting to build the multiflex board and I've decided to mimic some van furniture designs so that it can be hinged behind the seat within its width when not in use and extended full width as a bed for our youngest. We don't have furniture and not about to as we put our awning and/or bikes through the length of the back of the van (we cook on a pod in the awning or bbq with friends outside)20230509_160929-COLLAGE.jpg

20230514_152210-COLLAGE.jpg
Hardware arrived. And parcel shelf/bed board testing well (just cantilevered on the two bars of the pallet but will add a leg for when it is extended fully)
20230514_152033-COLLAGE~2.jpg

Now to fashion some foam while I wait for the frame to arrive.

Reactions: CAB
Frame arrived a while ago but last time we camped I made a wood frame for each side. With a deadline I've now done this 20230831_220516-COLLAGE.jpgPXL_20230830_182805866.jpg

Easy to source these 4mm "coffee table frame" on ebay. Needs repainting but means I got 50% back as compensation. So all in, about £50 of hardware to support the extending bed board I made

PXL_20230902_153438002.jpg
My daughter's finger has neatly anonymised this picture of me lying on the rear bed. Ran out of time to hand-stitch the pads shut. Need to change the third leg for a matching metal one... Ikea hack needed

Couple more pictures as we repackedPXL_20230903_140059268.jpg
PXL_20230903_185212277.jpg
You can tell I didn't get the alignment of the right leg onto the lower wood batten as the right hand doesn't match when closed, but functionally perfect for our camping this weekend. The third leg has a magnet catch so that it stays in place when not in use (swings up under the right hand extension). There is clearance for a low really useful box under the "parcel shelf" and the pads are 9cm, if I recall correctly.

Back