Cadac Cookers - which model?

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
Ready to order a new gas cooker but undecided on choice, barely used gas cookers before so dont have any info to make an educated decision, going on opinions from more experienced campers on here i am liking the cadac range, was planning on a safari but looking at the range i think the grillogas may be better fitted for us (thanks @Davenjo ) as we have three kids and i like the slightly higher stance it has think it may be easier to use and possibly cook sitting down ? does this seem like a good decision ?
If we do go with the grillogas it comes in two varieties the BBQ Dome or the reversible, i am leaning towards the reversible but is this wise would i be better buying the BBQ Dome and purchasing the reversible plate as an optional extra, interested to hear from end users with some experience of these and also some info on gas sources.
For occasional use whats the best gas supply setup, what regulator do i need and should i be looking at a decent size proper gas bottle (no gas locker) or keep it simple with the twin cartridge power pak setup ??

Opinions invited and welcomed :thumbsup:

We have the Safari, I wouldn't change it for anything; for travelling in the van it is perfect, easy to store and versatile. Ours had the BBQ grill, griddle dome lid/wok and a pizza stone. It gets used for every main meal for say 1/2 to 3/4 hour and 2 camping Gaz 907 have lasted us 6 week so far and still aren't empty. It is low but it's quite handy really as I can cook sat down on a camping chair relaxing with a glass of wine

Seem a lot of them on the Campsite at Fforest Fields. Never used the dome to cook in even though mine can be used. As long as you can compact it down when not in use it should be fine.
BTW I have a brand new Camping Gaz regulator I don't need still in the package

Size wise, with 5 of you the I would definitely be going for the Grillogas or even the Carri. I would also say the dome lid is a must - if you don't buy it at the start then you will buy it later - it helps to keep the heat up and reduce the cooking time no end, keeping food moist and saving gas. I would also recommend buying the paella pan as a good all round fry/saute pan sized to fit. We have a reversible plate but we tend to use the flat side rather than the ridged as it makes cleaning up so much easier.

If I didn't have a small gas locker then I probably wouldn't be using Camping Gaz 907 cylinders - a cheaper option would be something like Calor Gas Patio Gas - we have the quick release connectors with different regulators that allow us to plug into the van's supply (Camping Gas 907), propane canisters (via Cadac Powerpack), direct to Camping Gaz 907 or direct to Patio Gas at home.

Photos below to give you an idea of packed size of the Grillogas - this is everything we take - paella pan, gas connectors, dome, reversible plate, tapas bowls, etc.:-

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

Last edited:
We have the Safari, I wouldn't change it for anything; for travelling in the van it is perfect, easy to store and versatile. Ours had the BBQ grill, griddle dome lid/wok and a pizza stone. It gets used for every main meal for say 1/2 to 3/4 hour and 2 camping Gaz 907 have lasted us 6 week so far and still aren't empty. It is low but it's quite handy really as I can cook sat down on a camping chair relaxing with a glass of wine
Thats one of reasons i was thinking of moving to the grillo so i could sit down and cook and not be kneeling on the floor or putting the unit up on something to elevate it, that and the fact there are 5 of us

@Davenjo your 'help' has confused me even more, so different gas has different connections and regulators ??
Is canisters in a twin power pak unit safer than 907 if i dont have a locker ? Are they interchangeable connections so i can switch between the two or completely independant ?

@Pauly you don't need a locker, they put them in Vans that have cookers installed but you will need a Camping Gaz regulator if you use a 907 cylinder if you use a red calor one you will need a different regulator and I have one of those as well I don't need. As long as your bottle is safe (IE strapped up) when you travel you should be ok

Lockers are safest for transporting any gas container as they are vented to the bottom meaning that any escaping gas will be released without building up to exposive mixture (butane/propane heavier than air so will sink to bottom of locker and escape).

The calor gas and camping gaz use different regulators and are incompatible. We use camping gaz because it is easy to get in France whereas calor is not. To change regulators you just need to pull the regulator off the rubber pipe and re tighten the jubilee clip though best to stick to one type if you can. Calor gas is cheaper and bigger.

Just noticed @Davenjo post above, those quick release look ideal for changing

Lockers are safest for transporting any gas container as they are vented to the bottom meaning that any escaping gas will be released without building up to exposive mixture (butane/propane heavier than air so will sink to bottom of locker and escape).
Have you got a camper you put yours in or a van with locker. I take Calor gas bottles in my car or van and as long as they don't roll about it's Ok. If you have a locker fitted and it vents out the bottom you must have it installed. A lot of people just sling the bottle in the back of their car or van and go camping which is what I do in my Cali. The Caravan on the other hand has a Gas Locker though I've not looked to see how it vents

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like we are going with the cadac and a twin power pak for now with plans to get a larger bottle with regulator for home/beach use and a longer camping trips that come up in the future
Not planning any European trips so think i will go with the patio gas when we do

Have you got a camper you put yours in or a van with locker. I take Calor gas bottles in my car or van and as long as they don't roll about it's Ok. If you have a locker fitted and it vents out the bottom you must have it installed. A lot of people just sling the bottle in the back of their car or van and go camping which is what I do in my Cali. The Caravan on the other hand has a Gas Locker though I've not looked to see how it vents
I have a camper with a gas locker. Prior to getting the van, I had years of transporting various types of gas canisters and bottles loose in the car/truck for camping without problem or really thinking about it. However, I had an issue with one of the self sealing canisters not self sealing and leaking a while back - this has made me rethink things and be a bit more cautious. I do still carry a couple of these canisters loose as a backup supply (no room in the locker with a 907 bottle) but these are the last things to go in when packing and are they are taken out of the van and stored outside as soon as we arrive.

See my https://www.t6forum.com/threads/propane-butane-gas-in-vans.2441/ thread for what can happen when things go wrong.

Funny you should post that. When I was an apprentice I was being showed how to use a gas torch and when the craftsman lit the torch there was an almighty woof and the gas that had accumulated in the soldering hearth ignited and singed out eyebrows. Move forward twenty odd years and I was Hard soldering some copper in a hearth with a God almighty flamethrower to heat the copper up. I failed to notice in the back of the hearth a butane torch with a small gas cylinder on (same as we use on the bbq's) when it exploded with an ear deafening bang. In fact the explosion blew me backwards to sit on some scaffold tower behind me. I sat there all dazed with the torch still in my hand going. My mate come over and took it off me and turned it off. All the lads in the workshop came to see if I was ok. Best bit a couple of mins after one of the guys from the front of the building came to see what happened, they heard the explosion a couple of hundred feet away in another office. Lucky for me the small butane bottle blew all the flames out or I may well have been singed or burned from it. The butane torch cylinder looked like a flower and one guy kept it for years.
Don't let my little story put people off taking the stuff as you need a spark of flame to ignite the stuff and the odds are slim of them leaking if you look after the cylinders right but like @Davenjo said take them out when you get to your destination. Reminds me I should put the ones I have in my caravan in the gas locker.

@Pauly - some photos that hopefully explain a bit
better what I was trying to explain on the phone earlier:-

Base of the Cadac with Venturi tube, valve control and hose connection - the one fitted is the quick release one, the one at the side is the standard fitting. As well as interchangeability, the other reason I use is that it makes it a lot easier to break down and get everything in the bag without the hose attached to the base.
IMG_2650.jpg
Length of hose with quick release connected - the open end plugs straight into my van's external gas point.
IMG_2661.jpg
Camping Gas 907 regulator on another length of hose for direct connection to a 907 bottle.
IMG_2660.jpg
As above but with Calor Patio Gas regulator attached.
IMG_2665.jpg
Cadac Powerpack Connected (bottles screw onto power pack)
IMG_2651.jpg

Everything in the photos, with the exception of the 2 gas cartridges is permanent stored with the Cadac and accessories in the bag for transport.

Hi @Pauly we have a camping gas 907 fitted in a locker in van to supply fitted 2 ring burner for tee and coffee etc, but we have a cadac safari chef 2 for main outdoor cooking with a 5kg calor patio gas propane bottle. Both are very compact and pack away really small and comes with BBQ griddle, hotplate and a perfect size ring for a decent frying pan, we have just purchased the pizza stone for this and all performs great for 3 big eaters, plus packs away really compact as space is a premium. Really happy with cooking capabilities and versatility and we just use in a small table so right height, would definitely recommend.

I've just had this pop up on Facebook - it's a bit late for Bala but might be of interest for anyone in the Midlands considering buying a Cadac or wanting to get more out of one they already own:-
Camping & Caravanning Barbecue & Grilling July Show, Featuring Cadac | Leisure Outlet
Hi Davenjo, I have found your information re gas connections extremely helpful and certainly will now be getting a quick release connecter for our Grill O Gas. Would now value your help and advice (or anyone's help) on how to get the whole bloody thing packed away in its bag!! Cadac describe it as 'quick and easy' but if it is we've failed miserably! Any pics of the process. Big thanks if you can help.

Hi Davenjo, I have found your information re gas connections extremely helpful and certainly will now be getting a quick release connecter for our Grill O Gas. Would now value your help and advice (or anyone's help) on how to get the whole bloomin thing packed away in its bag!! Cadac describe it as 'quick and easy' but if it is we've failed miserably! Any pics of the process. Big thanks if you can help.
Glad to be of use. You really can get everything in the bag - it takes practice but can be done lol. Pictures below show ours with everything we take in the bag:- Cadac, reversible grill plate, pot stand, paella pan, tapas bowls, 5 metre hose, 2 metre hose, Cadac power pack, butane regulator, patio gas (propane regulator) and a few other bits and bobs.

I change the way I pack it a bit each time but in essence use the pockets in the bag to put the grill plate and paella pan in first then put the fat catcher (main bowl) with tapered end towards the side where the lid goes (on the outside) then stuff everything you can around this setup. I tend to store all of the regulators and tubing (coiled) inside the lid in the pocket on the outside of the bag.

IMG_3447.jpg IMG_3448.jpg

Glad to be of use. You really can get everything in the bag - it takes practice but can be done lol. Pictures below show ours with everything we take in the bag:- Cadac, reversible grill plate, pot stand, paella pan, tapas bowls, 5 metre hose, 2 metre hose, Cadac power pack, butane regulator, patio gas (propane regulator) and a few other bits and bobs.

I change the way I pack it a bit each time but in essence use the pockets in the bag to put the grill plate and paella pan in first then put the fat catcher (main bowl) with tapered end towards the side where the lid goes (on the outside) then stuff everything you can around this setup. I tend to store all of the regulators and tubing (coiled) inside the lid in the pocket on the outside of the bag.

View attachment 14812 View attachment 14813
Thanks for this Davenjo, very helpful, but it still isn’t ‘quick and easy’ as Cadac claim! (What you’ve said confirms it isn’t quick and easy).

Back