Propane/Butane Gas in Vans

Davenjo

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Picked this up from another site; it highlights the dangers of having gas in our vans. No full details of sequence of events, what type of cylinder was involved, how it was stored, etc., but it seems that the he picked the bottle/canister up from his friends last night ahead of a trip this weekend, left it in the van overnight, and when he went to the van this morning - boom!!

We had an incident last year with a cassette stove we were using - the canisters should self seal but one of ours didn't - came home from tent camping, unpacked everything into the garage and left it. Fortunately I went back out to the garage a couple of hours later and smelt the gas in time to ventilate - there was still plenty of gas left in the canister but not sure if one of these smaller canisters would hold enough gas to achieve an explosive mix in a space the size of our garage, either way, I wouldn't want to risk it though!

If you have a gas locker, use it - if you don't have one then think twice about leaving any gas canisters unattended in the van (at least if it leaks whilst you are present you should smell it before it gets to an explosive mix). We do take a couple of these canisters as a back up supply - there is no room for them in the locker but they are the last thing to go in the van and the first thing to be taken out when we arrive to be stored outside of the van.

Man injured in camping gas explosion

Thats quite a bang !!
Looks like he had a full gas barbecue in the back

Thats quite a bang !!
Looks like he had a full gas barbecue in the back
Yep, and the regulator look like the type used to connect to Calor's Patio Gas bottles - so upto 5kg/13kg gas could have been involved.

Pure speculation but my guess is that the bottle was left connected up and one of the the jets got turned on during transport or a damaged hose rather than one of these types of bottles failing.

Install a Trio gas alarm and always disconnect at the bottle or ensure all valves are tight if you can't.

Had a mate seriously burnt for the same reason in his boat

Pure speculation but my guess is that the bottle was left connected up and one of the the jets got turned on during transport or a damaged hose rather than one of these types of bottles failing.

+1,I've had camper vans for the last 20 + years and only turn off at the bottle when using ferries or for long term storage, normally turn the gas system off at the gas point connection tap to the stove/oven.
It's always a possibility as gas is very volatile as we all know, but pipework should be checked regularly,any rubber pipework should be changed regularly and also the gas valve regulators should be checked.
Plus a gas detection system alarm installed.

One of the reasons why a proper gas locker is better is that they have drop-out vents in the floor as LPG is heavier than air. I agree on the gas detector, pref one that picks up CO as well

Only just seen this but look on the bright side it was Ford Transit but it certainly did for that one. BTW @andys only camper vans and caravans have gas lockers, other people have to take the bottle around with them. Hate to think what that guy did

Only just seen this but look on the bright side it was Ford Transit but it certainly did for that one. BTW @andys only camper vans and caravans have gas lockers, other people have to take the bottle around with them. Hate to think what that guy did
More I look at it I think the bottle was left connected and one of the BBQ's gas jets got accidentally turned on as they were lifting it in (or the hose was damaged). Build up of gas overnight, open with central locking, spark, bang!

Always disconnect your bottles for transport if you don't have a locker and, even if you have a locker, turn off at the valve between trips.

Back