Cab heater only blowing cold air

Blimey I can’t believe they have repair kits now, hopefully the repair kit has a stronger replacement.
@Tony P, I’ve come across this thread some time back and lo and behold I’m in need, are you still in the business of making your own? Or do you know where I may find the repair kit?
Richard

Hi, newbie to T6 forum, having been a T4 user for years, but 2023 brought hassle, so grabbed a 2016 T32 Shuttle, no handbook, so still haven't got my head around dual side aircon controls, centre button etc. - major change to T4!!
Great thread - sounds very much the issue I have, only that it's specifically passenger side blows hot ok, driver side only cold!! Will look to remove lower panel, as above, to check actuator piece, unless anyone has another idea of what's going on. Appreciate any input, thanks.

Niknak from this forum found out the problem with mine, top bloke.
I had to buy the heater Matrix to get the part which was used as a pattern to 3D print a stronger modified version.
It took a good 5-6 hrs to take off and re-fit from under the dash.
I’m of the same opinion as you with regards to VW.
Hopefully they will all break before warranty’s are over then they might do something about it as must cost the dealerships a fortune.

View attachment 111789

View attachment 111790
Can these still be purchased

Hi Phil if you contact me on 07880620367 we can exchange details etc.
It’s £30 with postage that has to be signed for.
Hi Tony, I appear to have the same issue as the other guys with my heating only giving out hot air, I was hoping that it would be the arm too, however they all appear in tact, I can move them manually to get mixed air now bit still no luck when moving the dial. I noticed there appears to be a small motor that moves the arms so it's either this or a fuse for the motor, any ideas if there is a dedicated fuse for this please?

20231227_115013.jpg

Did you ever find out the answer to this?
Is there a fuse?

I have a similar problem that started at the same time my battery died.

I had to replace a few thermostats/ sensors, but the air from the heater remains cold.

I can not find the white plastic part that features on this thread, can anyone be more specific on its whereabouts?

I have removed the black cover below the drivervside dash and taken these two pics.20240203_134242.jpg20240203_134018.jpg

Last edited:
I had to buy the heater Matrix to get the part which was used as a pattern to 3D print a stronger modified version.
Hopefully they will all break before warranty’s are over then they might do something about it as must cost the dealerships a fortune.

View attachment 111789

View attachment 111790
I think mine has gone too reading this. Exactly the same symptoms. Local garage tried to tell me heater wasn't working cos engine wasn't warm! Ffs, I've had the van for 6 years! Do you still have the design so I could find someone to 3d print another please? Or even better are able to print one and let me know cost? Tia.

I think mine has gone too reading this. Exactly the same symptoms. Local garage tried to tell me heater wasn't working cos engine wasn't warm! Ffs, I've had the van for 6 years! Do you still have the design so I could find someone to 3d print another please? Or even better are able to print one and let me know cost? Tia.

Tony P hasnt been on for a few months, you will find the part om ebay.

I can not locate mine so I do not know if it needs replaced.

Screenshot_20240212_001132_Brave.jpg

Thanks. Garage haven't taken dash out yet but are adamant my 2018 T6 doesn't have this plastic part. I did find this in the driver footwell and am wondering if it could have held a cable that is now loose? Looking like a dashboard out job to rectify.

View attachment 231029
Funny you should say that because I cannot find it either ( 2018 T6).I posted the pics above of what I see looking up on driver side.

Could you let me know if you get a fix, and what it involved pulling out please?

Funny you should say that because I cannot find it either ( 2018 T6).I posted the pics above of what I see looking up on driver side.

Could you let me know if you get a fix, and what it involved pulling out please?
Interesting. Also odd as there are posts for 2017 models and later t6.1 that had the problem ours are in between. Garage agree that it's a mechanical failure though between thermostat knob and heater (which is working fine). Only solution is to take dash out and see what is broken. On one post it was just a cable unseated from the knob, which is why I wondered if the bit I found was related. It has come from somewhere! They are quoting 2 hours labour to remove dash, then whatever time to fix and then replace dash plus parts so it's not going to be cheap.
Not sure if yours is same problem. Mine is in the lukewarm position whatever. Easy way to test if same is put AC on on a cold day, it will struggle to get it cold.

Interesting. Also odd as there are posts for 2017 models and later t6.1 that had the problem ours are in between. Garage agree that it's a mechanical failure though between thermostat knob and heater (which is working fine). Only solution is to take dash out and see what is broken. On one post it was just a cable unseated from the knob, which is why I wondered if the bit I found was related. It has come from somewhere! They are quoting 2 hours labour to remove dash, then whatever time to fix and then replace dash plus parts so it's not going to be cheap.
Not sure if yours is same problem. Mine is in the lukewarm position whatever. Easy way to test if same is put AC on on a cold day, it will struggle to get it cold.
Mine is stuck on cold, it won't bother me so much when the spring arrives but its not nice on those icy mornings, I have a diesel heater in the back but its a while to warm up.

All my fan speeds work along with the different distribution areas, windscreen, feet etc.

The problem started when my battery began to fail. I was convinced it would be the broken plastic actuator that features in this thread.

The two thermostats in the cooling system failed, maybe I have been barking up the wrong tree and there is a thermostat in the heating system?

I had assumed the heat/ cold mix was achieved by mixing cold and warm air, and that was determined by the flap operated by the actuator.

Mine is stuck on cold, it won't bother me so much when the spring arrives but its not nice on those icy mornings, I have a diesel heater in the back but its a while to warm up.

All my fan speeds work along with the different distribution areas, windscreen, feet etc.

The problem started when my battery began to fail. I was convinced it would be the broken plastic actuator that features in this thread.

The two thermostats in the cooling system failed, maybe I have been barking up the wrong tree and there is a thermostat in the heating system?

I had assumed the heat/ cold mix was achieved by mixing cold and warm air, and that was determined by the flap operated by the

Yes I think it is. Some threads say that you can move the flaps manually once you can see the heater unit with a screwdriver one you've taken the drivers side cover off. At least you could move it to warm then? And it would also rule out other stuff too? Let me know if you succeed!

Yes I think it is. Some threads say that you can move the flaps manually once you can see the heater unit with a screwdriver one you've taken the drivers side cover off. At least you could move it to warm then? And it would also rule out other stuff too? Let me know if you succeed!

Do you know what the lever/ball/ pulley thing does in your pics? Well it move manually? How easy was it to get to? Willing to have a go if it was easy.

Updated after call.to garage. Mine doesn't have a cable as its full on climate control not just a heater. Who knew?! Still 2 possibilities. 1. Link between motor and arm (only part of dash needed out for this)....this still sounds like the white plastic but to me 2. Flaps not working in heater box, huge job as new heater box and full dash out to replace.

I bought a 3rd hand VW T6 beach last friday, guess what, no hot air in the front! The lady who I bought it from said a garage had replaced the actuator arm last December, has an invoice for the work. Strange how its failed again already! Going to get head down under drivers pedals tomorrow and take a look.

View attachment 111789

View attachment 111790
This has happened to my t6 now!
So grateful for this forum.
On mine though its the long arm within the circled in red area thats snapped. I cant find the part anywhere!!
Does anyone know of anyone doing 3D printed spares?…
Thanks

Hi, just diagnosed a similar problem with mine, but it‘s the yellowy white coloured arm that has broken for me… at the bottom end, where the ball joint of the motor drive part clips in.

i don’t suppose you 3D printed any of those parts did you ?

I’ve adjusted it manually to about 50% heat which at least keeps the van comfortable for the next few months.

cheers

jez
Hi Jez,
Same issue for me. Did you manage to find a replacement arm?

Back