Cab heater only blowing cold air

Blimey I can’t believe they have repair kits now, hopefully the repair kit has a stronger replacement.

Bit late but a quick update on this. Despite the original advice the job did require a full dashboard removal and replacement of the heater/aircon unit that houses the control flaps. Apparently more than one part was broken. I was a bit apprehensive when my Cali went in but job was completed quickly and professionally by Citygate with no subsequent problems.

Well after receiving the need part from @Tony P, a very well made part I might add and in super quick time. It took me around and hour and a half to fit, and that was with removal of the lower dash too as I dropped a part‍!!! But all in all not a horrific job to do, but if you have ham hands, get the wife or kids to help.
In all seriousness, if anyone close to Cambridge needs this doing but doesn’t want to tackle it, drop me a call 07973766898 and I’ll work out a cost to fit it for you. But you will need the part from @Tony P first.
@Rslad Just wondering if you have a brief guide to the hour and a half non- full dashboard removal method? I’ve got exactly the same problem and I’ve just messaged @Tony P in the hope he can print me a new one! Thanks!

Last edited:
@Rslad Just wondering if you have a brief guide to the hour and a half non- full dashboard removal method? I’ve got exactly the same problem and I’ve just messaged @Tony P in the hope he can print me a new one! Thanks!
Hi sorry for the late reply. Have you managed to do it yet? If not give me a call 07973766898 during the day and I'll talk you through it. Or if you're close to Cambridge pop it in and I'll do it.

Hi sorry for the late reply. Have you managed to do it yet? If not give me a call 07973766898 during the day and I'll talk you through it. Or if you're close to Cambridge pop it in and I'll do it.
Awesome thanks for the reply, I’m just waiting for the part to arrive and I was gonna freestyle it but I’ll give you a call!

Hopefully my final update on this thread…. I have just chosen the coldest night of the year here to accomplish this task!
cold fingers and toes and brittle plastic are a bad combination but it was my only opportunity and we‘re going to a T4, T5, T6 meet up tomorrow and I wanted everything to be shipshape!

MASSIVE kudos to @Tony P for supplying me with the part which is vastly superior to the part it replaced and also vastly superior to the only other one I found on eBay (didnt buy it on there of course!) Tony’s is finished to perfection whereas the one on eBay appeared to require a lot of final sanding before fitting. Tony’s fits perfectly into the motor and the ball and socket clips in easily but securely.

Also MASSIVE kudos to @Rslad for the call about the details of fitting.

Lessons I learned: 1. It’s possible to repair this from below, very awkward and one- handed and frustrating but I just didn’t fancy removing the top part of the dash. I am quite small and reasonably thin so spent most of the time lying along the cab floor with my toes freezing out the passenger door squinting up at the heater controls! What took me most time was unclipping the harness one- handed without the space for a regular pinch! 2. You CAN unbolt the top 5.5mm bolt which is one of 2 holding the motor from below, what I finally discovered on the refit was that the socket I had which was the shortest available was still too “tall”, so when I shaved 4mm of the socket height using a dremel everything was instantly easy! If I was to repeat the procedure it could possibly be done in less than an hour… 3. Make sure you have a “magnet on a stick” for the inevitable fishing for screws that drop, despite your best frozen- fingered efforts, down into the void at the centre of the dash!

I reckon anyone who isn’t too large could attempt this so good luck!

874DE894-B3DC-4C4D-82CE-4E3B47694338.jpeg

Hi Tony P.
I have just joined the forum looking for help with heating in my t6 And I see you and others have sorted it already.
Have you still got spare part available please?

Last edited:
Hi Rslad, yes I’m still doing them, when and if you need one give me a shout.
Regards Tony
Hi Tony P.
I have just joined the forum looking for help with heating in my t6 And I see you and others have sorted it already.
Have you still got spare part available please?

Well after receiving the need part from @Tony P, a very well made part I might add and in super quick time. It took me around and hour and a half to fit, and that was with removal of the lower dash too as I dropped a part‍!!! But all in all not a horrific job to do, but if you have ham hands, get the wife or kids to help.
In all seriousness, if anyone close to Cambridge needs this doing but doesn’t want to tackle it, drop me a call 07973766898 and I’ll work out a cost to fit it for you. But you will need the part from @Tony P first.
Hi Rslad.

If Tony P has part available, will you be happy to fix it for me please?

Hi Tony,

Looks like I have the same problem T6 2016 140bhp only blowing cold air! All vents and fan working perfectly can you let me know if you have any of your 3D parts available please!!

Niknak from this forum found out the problem with mine, top bloke.
I had to buy the heater Matrix to get the part which was used as a pattern to 3D print a stronger modified version.
It took a good 5-6 hrs to take off and re-fit from under the dash.
I’m of the same opinion as you with regards to VW.
Hopefully they will all break before warranty’s are over then they might do something about it as must cost the dealerships a fortune.

View attachment 111789

View attachment 111790
Hi, just diagnosed a similar problem with mine, but it‘s the yellowy white coloured arm that has broken for me… at the bottom end, where the ball joint of the motor drive part clips in.

i don’t suppose you 3D printed any of those parts did you ?

I’ve adjusted it manually to about 50% heat which at least keeps the van comfortable for the next few months.

cheers

jez

Hi Jez sorry for the late reply.
Sorry no I haven’t had the arm printed.
Regards Tony

Well thanks to this thread, I was able to diagnose the problem without having to pay the dealer a ton for the privilege - the tricky bit is trying to source that bit of white plastic! I am guessing the Tony P Spares Dept has now closed down?

When I had this problem my dealership said they now hold a stock of spare actuator arms because they are seeing quite a few failures. If you can’t find a source then it might be worth a call to your local VW service department?

When I had this problem my dealership said they now hold a stock of spare actuator arms because they are seeing quite a few failures. If you can’t find a source then it might be worth a call to your local VW service department?
That is good to know, thank you for the heads up, will give them a bell in the morning.

Hi both, so grateful for this thread, it seems my 2017 t6 has suffered the same fate, I’m going to have a look at it this afternoon but would be super interested in help/getting it fitted or is there a YouTube I can follow? Many thnx Sophie

Hi both, so grateful for this thread, it seems my 2017 t6 has suffered the same fate, I’m going to have a look at it this afternoon but would be super interested in help/getting it fitted or is there a YouTube I can follow? Many thnx Sophie
Hello Sophie, did you get a chance to look at it yesterday to see if it was the same issue with the broken piece of plastic?

Back