Cab Ambient "mood Lighting" Under-dash - How I Done It -

My T6 has got the courtesy white lights in the footwell. I’ve bought the travelin lite sets as I fancy having them light up red. Is it easy to swap the built in ones for the travelin lite ones? And where the hell are the torx screws to remove the footwell trim cover? There’s bugger all space between the front seat and the dash for me to get in and have a look!

My T6 has got the courtesy white lights in the footwell. I’ve bought the travelin lite sets as I fancy having them light up red. Is it easy to swap the built in ones for the travelin lite ones? And where the hell are the torx screws to remove the footwell trim cover? There’s bugger all space between the front seat and the dash for me to get in and have a look!
There are no torx screws in the covers. They just clip in. The travelin lite lights should just clip into the same holes but you might find that the connector plugs are different.

Thanks @Deaky - I’ll have a longer look when it’s not hailing outside! I was confused as step 1 of the instructions mentions removing the footwell covers with a torx driver ‍

Thanks @Deaky - I’ll have a longer look when it’s not hailing outside! I was confused as step 1 of the instructions mentions removing the footwell covers with a torx driver ‍
The must be the instructions for a T5

Can the Travelinlite ones be dimmed down by fitting a inline resistor? If people have done this then what size resistor is recommended?

You don’t need to add a resistor. If you wire them into the ambient circuit they will dim with the dimmer switch on the dash. If I remember correctly the instructions that come with them are to wire into the courtesy circuit but it is simple to wire into ambient instead. I’ve done it so it can’t be hard

Yep, I have them in my van. Wired into ambient circuit so dim up and down with the dash dimmer switch. Not as bright as the photo makes them look but I’m pleased with them.
7C552BA7-D797-4062-9266-58EBBD5B99AE.jpeg

@Big.mac does the vwtechlite harness have 2 leds per door pocket? And do their kits wire into the ambient light circuit at the window switches?

@Big.mac does the vwtechlite harness have 2 leds per door pocket? And do their kits wire into the ambient light circuit at the window switches?
No, it’s a single LED per pocket, so two per door. They do wire into the ambient circuit inside the door. What you get (for each door) is a small wiring loom with the two LEDs on it, a plug so you can take the door card off once they are fitted and two posi- tap connectors to connect into the loom. And a set of pretty good instructions. You do need to drill two small holes in the door card for the LEDs to fit into.

There are some photos of what you get in their eBay listing.
VW T6 Transporter Door Card LED Pocket Lights Interior Ambient Light Kit | eBay

@
No, it’s a single LED per pocket, so two per door. They do wire into the ambient circuit inside the door. What you get (for each door) is a small wiring loom with the two LEDs on it, a plug so you can take the door card off once they are fitted and two posi- tap connectors to connect into the loom. And a set of pretty good instructions. You do need to drill two small holes in the door card for the LEDs to fit into.

There are some photos of what you get in their eBay listing.
VW T6 Transporter Door Card LED Pocket Lights Interior Ambient Light Kit | eBay

@Big.mac have you still got a copy of the instructions? I’m toying with making up my own loom with 2 leds per pocket and one led for the door pull

@Big.Mac have you still got a copy of the instructions? I’m toying with making up my own loom with 2 LEDs per pocket and one led for the door pull
Do you need measurements? I’ve DIY’d a set this weekend. With the bulbs I bought I only added one per pocket, with a mini-LED at the handle.
Based on @Deakys advice, I’ve placed the passenger-side lights low down, so they don’t catch my eye whilst driving; the drivers side are high up in the pockets for that same reason.

F6DBC41D-DCC1-4C92-9133-F9A2755EC6FF.jpeg

Whilst the door-cards are off I’ve also added a puddle light.

@Ads_Essex

Thanks for that I should be ok. It’s I job I’m gonna tackle over Easter now we’ve cancelled our holiday. A question for you though....where have you located the door handle led as I can’t see it in the photo. I take it you used a 3mm led for that?

@Ads_Essex

Thanks for that I should be ok. It’s I job I’m gonna tackle over Easter now we’ve cancelled our holiday. A question for you though....where have you located the door handle led as I can’t see it in the photo. I take it you used a 3mm led for that?
For the drivers side it’s in the top of the handle recess (a pain to drill out, as you foul the armrest section of the doorcard) and for the passenger side it’s in the bottom. image.jpg
Excuse the mess - they need tidying up. As does that burr on the plastic :eek:

image.jpg
You’ll see I had a few goes before being happy with the final location :whistle:

I had four red 2.5mm axial LEDs laying around, so I used them. Fiddly, but they’re tiny and seem to do the job.

I haven’t fitted them yet, as I’m waiting on some Eton speakers to arrive.
The clips came out intact but I broke a tab off the retainer for the drivers’ side door handle cable :rolleyes:
I’m hoping some Q-Bond will fix that.

Last edited:
mate you using bezels to house the door handle leds or are you just hot glueing them in?
Hot glue for the 2.5mm as I didn’t have holders whilst the pockets are 10mm with holders (and a dab of superglue to make sure they don’t pop out).

I read through this thread and a couple of others over the weekend, ordered a set of the Travelin Lite footwell LEDs on Tues, they arrived yesterday and I fitted them today. I opted to connect them to the ambient circuit by hooking into the back of the dimmer switch and I’m very pleased with the result. They look great and the dimmer switch controls them nicely. £30 well spent. Very simple installation.

The one issue I had was that the Posi taps that are provided are a bit too large for the blue/grey ambient wire (but fit the brown well). First go the tap just pushed the wire to one side rather than piercing it. I solved this by wrapping a little tape around the wire before inserting into the tap. This made the wire sit more centrally and held it more firmly in the tap and it worked first attempt after doing this.
Do you have a pic of the dimmer switch you used to connect the wires? I fitted mine the weekend but they only come on with the door open but really want them on permanent while driving ?

Do you have a pic of the dimmer switch you used to connect the wires? I fitted mine the weekend but they only come on with the door open but really want them on permanent while driving ?
I don’t have a picture of it, it is the standard one on the dashboard, next to the main light switch. The ambient circuit also feeds through the main light switch so you can connect into it on the wiring at the back of the light switch if that’s easier.

Found the picture below in another post. The dimmer switch is number 2.

upload_2020-3-31_21-38-24.jpeg

I don’t have a picture of it, it is the standard one on the dashboard, next to the main light switch. The ambient circuit also feeds through the main light switch so you can connect into it on the wiring at the back of the light switch if that’s easier.

Found the picture below in another post. The dimmer switch is number 2.

View attachment 64634
Thanks mate , final question.
I’ve already fitted them to the connector under the glove box, would I be able to just remove the connection and re fit to the dimmer switch? Just worried I’ve spliced into them using the connectors Travelin-Lite supplied and they will be cut, I presume if I just put insulation tape over the exposed parts it should be ok? If not, I may just buy another set and have them set so they come on white when I open and the others
are on red while driving.

Back