The police might take a dim view and the law may say impersonating a police officer is a criminal offence, but the government/authorities have, in my view, deliberately used HPOs to try and create the illusion of an increased police road-presence. The vehicle livery, the uniforms, the parking-up on motorway look-out spots (previously restricted for use by police vehicles) - it's all designed to make you think they're police officers IMO.

The above isn't a dig at HPOs - they do a very necessary job in sometimes difficult/dangerous situations - but the style of their implementation by authorities brings them into disrepute.

Agree @Bav . Its a commonly used tactic stretching back years !
Back in the '90's in London my Borough Commander would have uniform days where everyone including the shiney arse office jockeys (aka CID, Burglary Squad, Robbery Squad, DVU etc) would be ordered onto the street in uniform to create the impression of more cops. Always hilarious seeing some of the larger CID 'Old Sweats' waddling around in whatever uniform they could dig out from the bottom of the locker !

Similarly, my last force gave everyone uniform and battenburged all police vehicles including CSI and Transport Orderlies to give the public the misleading impression of loads of cops being about.
I think the public would shit themselves if they knew how few cops there are actually out there !

The police might take a dim view and the law may say impersonating a police officer is a criminal offence, but the government/authorities have, in my view, deliberately used HPOs to try and create the illusion of an increased police road-presence. The vehicle livery, the uniforms, the parking-up on motorway look-out spots (previously restricted for use by police vehicles) - it's all designed to make you think they're police officers IMO.

The above isn't a dig at HPOs - they do a very necessary job in sometimes difficult/dangerous situations - but the style of their implementation by authorities brings them into disrepute.
I can’t look at a HPO without laughing! As useful as a “security” guard wearing high viz, stab vest, wraparound shades and a beer belly

I think the public would shit themselves if they knew how few cops there are actually out there !
Some would shit themselves and others would take advantage, esp. when driving.

btw, I'm gonna infringe your copyright on the phrase "shine arse office jockeys" :rofl:

I was a customer too

To sum up:

conversion over twice late from original deadline.

Decided to go down there when phone calls went unanswered . Bloke in next unit told me they’d gone bust and owed them large amount of money. Oh no i thought.

Missing, expensive parts from my van

They had removed all their own stuff from the workshop whilst not being able to secure the customers assets.

I think they had gradually become so far gone they hadn’t realised they had become like the Empire painted on their wall. If they were honest with themselves they too would have removed their vans too.

The Death Star is no more. There were so many mistruths … You know - like Palpatine?

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Absolutely gutted to hear these stories and losses from forum members :mad:. I live in Sheffield and my van was converted by Bus Stop in 2019. Like others I did find their after-sales support lacking but just chalked it up to design and fixed stuff myself. I have just gone outside and removed their badge from the rear of my van in disgust.

If you paid even a small deposit by credit card you should have Section 75 cover for all of your losses. I remember thinking at the time "hmm, that's quite a lot of money to have handed over" but I was caught up in the excitement. I would do things differently next time.

They have another business, Stella Poptops, used to manufacture the pop-tops (which aren’t fit for purpose) that Bus Stop VW sold. Going to do a bit of research on companies house, but have been told same directors as Bus stop VW. The new company has failed to file its accounts and has the same directors:

5FEF5627-2448-4996-A109-0C45F9C727A0.png

Last edited:
They have another business, Stella Poptops, used to manufacture the pop-tops (which aren’t fit for purpose) that Bus Stop VW sold. Going to do a bit of research on companies house, but have been told same directors as Bus stop VW. The new company has failed to file its accounts and has the same directors:

View attachment 169999
Hi there. Just interested to why you have drawn the conclusion that these poptops ‘aren’t fit for purpose’?

Hello everyone. New on here but saw this thread. Our van was completed by this company August 2021 and we had lots of problems with them along the way. Took 5 months as opposed to 5 week estimate. We were constantly on their case, with little response, and in the end we sat in the office for multiple hours while they completed the van, as did another family. We are/were still chasing them about work when I saw this thread.
I am so sorry to hear that people have not got their vans. I can only imagine how awful this is.

I am curious about the roof comment. Ours is supposedly a stellar roof and we have not had any problems. I don’t have anything to compare it to (it’s my first van) but it works, closes well and no leaks. Are there reported problems?

I really hope that people receive their vans and money and that this is quickly resolved. Best wishes.

Reactions: CAB
This is quite interesting, I've been following this thread with a bit of a macabre interest... not been directly affected, but feeling seriously sorry for those who have been.

Anyway it seems the Google My Business profile for their 'new' venture has been closed.

Also their website (which was live and all shiny a week or so back...) is now undertaking scheduled maintenance...

Hopefully they're rethinking their plan to scam more people...

2022-09-01 14_19_16-stellar pop tops - Google Search.png

2022-09-01 14_19_05-Stellar Pop Top Roofs.png

This seems to have died a death. Anyone got an update ? A lot of new members appeared briefly to post their story then nothing more.....

Back