Bull bar fitting??

Cheers for the thread amalgamation @Loz. Anybody get anywhere with a DIY install of an A bar, bullbar, nudge bar or whatever you want to call them? I'm thinking about getting the delta4x4 bar which is TUV approved for sale.

My understanding was that so long as they were TUV/E Marked they were ok.
TUV is a German thing. It means a product has been tested and approved for use in Germany, but we use it as a mark of quality and means we can trust the values stated by the manufacturer, like wheel weight etc. it doesn't give you authority to use it here.
If you accidentally rear-end another vehicle, your insurance may refuse to payout as they may claim that you would have done less damage without it.

The E mark is the one for the UK currently (as we assume that will transfer over at the end of the year) but are any of them E marked?
I remember when this came in there were none, and Landrover had to make a rubber one for the Discovery 3.

So, not illegal if they are E marked, but will be if not.

edit: Bull bars: safety standards

Last edited:
Cheers @Loz. l'll look into that when I've finished the home schooling. I've got a quasi Italian registration for my van, basically a US military take on the Italian system that Brits have to adopt for our time here, so will have to look into it from this perspective too just for a bit more fun!

Reactions: Loz
Just something else to remove to change a head lamp bulb :rolleyes:
Modern cars are supposed to be designed with pedestrian collisions in mind, bolting a femur breaker on the bow sort of negates that.

I haven't found the single reversing light a problem, but did find the headlights hopeless for country driving so have mounted an led light bar on the front and you could easily mount a small led light on the rear but don't compromise ground clearance or you may wipe it off.
My extra driving lights didn't cause any problems .Wired the standard way of relay via dashboard switch from high beam and light supply from battery.

I haven't found the single reversing light a problem, but did find the headlights hopeless for country driving so have mounted an led light bar on the front and you could easily mount a small led light on the rear but don't compromise ground clearance or you may wipe it off.
My extra driving lights didn't cause any problems .Wired the standard way of relay via dashboard switch from high beam and light supply from battery.
I haven't used the headlights for country driving yet but it sounds like I will need to upgrade somehow. How did you mount your front light bar? Have you a bull bar or nudge bar fitted?
Glad you mentioned using a relay by the way; my thinking hadn't got that far but I think given modern electronics I need to go via a relay even for an 18W light if I'm tripping it via the reverse light switch.

Cheers

Brian

I removed front bumper assembly and fitted 2 brackets to metal crash bar and then refitted bumper assembly leaving the 2 brackets sticking out a few inches.
Then bolted a small nudge bar to brackets which also now holds number plate.
Then mounted a decent quality led light bar to nudge bar.
Getting switch cables into interior and mounting to dash is the fiddly part but ok.
Pictures in order ( hopefully)

Attachments

• 20210503_171841.jpg
    20210503_171841.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210510_144019.jpg
    20210510_144019.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210515_130925.jpg
    20210515_130925.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: mmi
Excellent, that looks really good and thank you for the explanation.

Just a couple more questions if I may...

Could you tell me the brand and wattage of your light bar? I have one that looks similar but it may not be the same wattage or quality.

The small nudge bar really makes it look neat; is it a readily available item or was it one you already had?

Cheers

Brian

Hi, the small nudge bar is from gemtrek lighting on ebay for $39.99, its aluminium and i bought the black one rather than chrome as i wanted light to be fairly inconspicuous.
The light bar is from Stedi in Melbourne , shipped really fast, its a 18.5 inch high output cree led bar. $209.00. Everything in the box for fitting including plug and play harness.
The 2 outer leds on each end are floods and the rest are spots for deeper penetration.
Looked at Light force bars which are excellent but twice the price but not twice as good, imo

Mick

I pity any pedestrian that gets hit by that bar - you have negated all the safety features of the front end. Two broken legs straight off!

Reactions: DXX
The bar is fitted to the legal requirements in Australia , It has no sharp edges and has rounded corners. Many vans ,utilities and four wheel drives have huge steel bull bars that dont have any give in them at all but I take your point.

One day Australia will catch up! OK for off road use but not for urban roads. When in Melbourne I was amazed at the number of vehicles that had the kiddy killers on the front but I never saw anything larger than a dog around the streets other than pedestrians. Think of the amount of money spent on development of the safer front end for all vehicles then you put a solid bar across it - it doesn't make sense.

One day Australia will catch up! OK for off road use but not for urban roads. When in Melbourne I was amazed at the number of vehicles that had the kiddy killers on the front but I never saw anything larger than a dog around the streets other than pedestrians. Think of the amount of money spent on development of the safer front end for all vehicles then you put a solid bar across it - it doesn't make sense.
Kiddy Killers?
You're not a "Sun" headline writer are you? :slow rofl:

No, just someone who is aware of the lethal characteristics of these chunks of metal placed on the front of vehicles.

Back