Builders’ Van - leave ply or replace?

T6Mike

Musical Member
VIP Member
Hello everyone. I’m Mike, from Fife. I've had the romantic idea of buying a T6 for a long time, to use as a daily driver, and a vehicle for days out etc. I’ve finally bought a bog standard 18 plate T6 panel van, low mileage. It’s been ‘kind of’ looked after.

It’s you usual basic Startline builders van, and is Ply lined. My plan is, take out the bulkhead, have two windows on either side, and two windows in the barn doors fitted, and have it nicely carpeted. My question is, what is the general consensus, leave the ply lining builders van wood on the floor and walls in, and have windows and carpet fitted? Or remove all the plywood, back to paint, bin the plywood, and fit windows and carpet?

what do you think?

Not done it myself but this is my view...... Id personally remove it all back to metal as it wont be insulated or soundproofed and thats something you'll really want to do.

What sort of use are you thinking when you say days out? Purely just transport or do you plan on having a kitchen in there for example?

Hi Mike - welcome to the forum.

I won't be using my van for a daily, so I don't profess any experience on that front, but I assume you'll want to insulate the interior (both thermally and acoustically)? If so, that'll require going back to bare metal.

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about soundproofing or insulating, that's a good point. It'll never get used as a 'van' as such, the only things that'll be in the back of it now at any point will be people, and yes, I may well put a kitchen etc in it at some point. Also, I'm not very 'handy', so will be looking for someone local'ish to do any work.

If you're only using the rear for people carrying, then I'd recommend a full line-out, including the flooring... unless, of course, you don't like the people you'll be carrying ;)

Thanks @Bav I'm brand new to this. What does a "full line-out" mean? :inlove:
New ply-lining throughout, with carpeting of roof, sides and tailgate, plus something like an Altro floor covering (all of this after installing the aforementioned insulation, obviously).

Taking the existing plywood panel van lining out then, I would imagine that it's been not too carefully installed in the first place, and likely screw holes in the bodywork.

What's the general consensus for dealing with any holes?

Taking the existing plywood panel van lining out then, I would imagine that it's been not too carefully installed in the first place, and likely screw holes in the bodywork.

What's the general consensus for dealing with any holes?
Treat holes with rust prevention, something like hammerite. Then the holes with sikaflex or similar.

so the general consensus is, just take all the existing ply lining out and dispose of it then?

Strip it all out, bin it, and start again. The ply lining panels are easily sourced on eBay, and the carpeting and insulation etc is an easy job. Harrison Trim, and Megavanmats are a good source for materials.

It takes a bit of time if you want to do a decent job, but the sound deadening and insulation is well worth it, and if I can do it, so can you.

Hi Mike

I've just bought a 2016 swb startline van from my mate. Similar situation as it was ply lined for his joinery business. I'm in Edinburgh so not far from you.

I've taken ply out. Not worth keeping. My opinion and that of others with more experience is to get fresh ply panels and then carpet. I considered DIY but have gone with VanHux based in East Lothian. They get great reviews and having met the owner Jon he offers great advice. He'll talk through intended use and certainly doesn't go for a hard sell on a full rig out.

My van goes to him next month for the basics;

Sound deadening, insulation and carpet line

Windows in both sides and rear barn doors

Leisure battery and some ceiling spots

Diesel heater.

Will let you know how it goes. Good to see someone else from the central belt!

Screenshot_20220529-170646_Auto Trader.jpg

20220528_150123.jpg

20220527_161506.jpg

@MurrayT6 brilliant!, thanks for that. Our vans are identical. I'll be sure to give Jon a shout now. Keen to see how yours gets on.

Are you going for two windows on either side or just the one?

Hi Mike

I've just bought a 2016 swb startline van from my mate. Similar situation as it was ply lined for his joinery business. I'm in Edinburgh so not far from you.

I've taken ply out. Not worth keeping. My opinion and that of others with more experience is to get fresh ply panels and then carpet. I considered DIY but have gone with VanHux based in East Lothian. They get great reviews and having met the owner Jon he offers great advice. He'll talk through intended use and certainly doesn't go for a hard sell on a full rig out.

My van goes to him next month for the basics;

Sound deadening, insulation and carpet line

Windows in both sides and rear barn doors

Leisure battery and some ceiling spots

Diesel heater.

Will let you know how it goes. Good to see someone else from the central belt!

View attachment 161933

View attachment 161934

View attachment 161935
Great advice. Try to see other vans too for inspiration.

Hello everyone. I’m Mike, from Fife. I've had the romantic idea of buying a T6 for a long time, to use as a daily driver, and a vehicle for days out etc. I’ve finally bought a bog standard 18 plate T6 panel van, low mileage. It’s been ‘kind of’ looked after.

It’s you usual basic Startline builders van, and is Ply lined. My plan is, take out the bulkhead, have two windows on either side, and two windows in the barn doors fitted, and have it nicely carpeted. My question is, what is the general consensus, leave the ply lining builders van wood on the floor and walls in, and have windows and carpet fitted? Or remove all the plywood, back to paint, bin the plywood, and fit windows and carpet?

what do you think?
Hi Mike welcome to the forum. We soundproofed, insulated and carpet lined our highline which already had the factory windows. If you fancy doing it, you could get your windows fitted and then do the rest yourself. Before you bin the plywood check just in case it could be useful for a template. I've kept the ply floor to put back in for carrying heavy loads or stuff I don't want on the new floor. Before we did our jobs we had a look on Youtube, you'll see plenty of idiots on there, but have a look at Coombe Valley Campers videos they are very informative. Even if you don't do the job yourself you'll learn a lot about what's involved.

Hi Mike welcome to the forum. We soundproofed, insulated and carpet lined our highline which already had the factory windows. If you fancy doing it, you could get your windows fitted and then do the rest yourself. Before you bin the plywood check just in case it could be useful for a template. I've kept the ply floor to put back in for carrying heavy loads or stuff I don't want on the new floor. Before we did our jobs we had a look on Youtube, you'll see plenty of idiots on there, but have a look at Coombe Valley Campers videos they are very informative. Even if you don't do the job yourself you'll learn a lot about what's involved.
It was watching Coombe Valley Campers videos on YouTube that fuelled the fire to buy a van and gave me the confidence to do some of the work. Check them out here, there’s a link to his videos on his page to: Combe Valley Campers | Campervan Conversion |Hellingly
I’ve done my own sound deadening and insulation, carpeted panels, fitted curtains, fitted some lights. I’ve done a few other jobs too with the help of YouTube.

Reactions: JOG
@MurrayT6 brilliant!, thanks for that. Our vans are identical. I'll be sure to give Jon a shout now. Keen to see how yours gets on.

Are you going for two windows on either side or just the one?
Just one either side (both opening ones).

Agree that Combe Valley do the best YouTube videos for self build stuff.

Back