New ply for carpet lining

timthetinyhorse

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have ordered all of the materials to fit my windows and then insulate and carpet my T6 SWB. At the moment it still has the basic ply from when it was a hire van with the box arch covers etc. Can anyone tell me where i can get good quality ply lining from that isnt going to break the banks and possibly pre drilled for trim clips? I will need a roof panel also as removing the bulkhead.

New to all this so any advice appreciated.

Cheers

You may be able to use the ply you have and use the OEM panels as templates. The roof can be 'repaired' to make fit or fit larger spreader panel to cover the gap. We make all of our own panels, cnc cut them etc but we have in the past bought 'pre cut' panels for one off vans (non VW) and they have been terrible, ill fitting, crap.:mad:

You may be able to use the ply you have and use the OEM panels as templates. The roof can be 'repaired' to make fit or fit larger spreader panel to cover the gap. We make all of our own panels, cnc cut them etc but we have in the past bought 'pre cut' panels for one off vans (non VW) and they have been terrible, ill fitting, crap.:mad:
Thanks for your response, im putting windows both sides so the full height ply thats in is no good really as its fell height and i assume aftermarket tat as its just screwed in and the fit isnt good. Sounds like a bit of a mine field getting good quality ply pre cut?

Thanks for your response, im putting windows both sides so the full height ply thats in is no good really as its fell height and i assume aftermarket tat as its just screwed in and the fit isnt good. Sounds like a bit of a mine field getting good quality ply pre cut?
There are typically OEM grey panels behind the ply - use them as templates.

ah spot on, hopefully they are there when i get the old tat pulled out
should be able to pull ply off a bit to see whats behind. Dont use the ply if all bent, if flat its ok to reuse. Saves a few ££. If no good just have to buy new ply and cut yourself. Good luck, or travel to us and we can do it but too far from you I think, we are Somerset.

All the best

should be able to pull ply off a bit to see whats behind. Dont use the ply if all bent, if flat its ok to reuse. Saves a few ££. If no good just have to buy new ply and cut yourself. Good luck, or travel to us and we can do it but too far from you I think, we are Somerset.

All the best
yeah rather big drive Northumberland to Somerset........will take a look and see whats behind. Thanks for your help

@Eclipse Custom Vans finally got the ply out (what a job with glass resin spilled and run under) and your right the factory boards are there for the lower half but im also looking for boards to fit the top panels of the rear quarters. Plan is to insulate then obviously fit a carpeted panel over.

Any solutions for this?

Cheers

@Eclipse Custom Vans finally got the ply out (what a job with glass resin spilled and run under) and your right the factory boards are there for the lower half but im also looking for boards to fit the top panels of the rear quarters. Plan is to insulate then obviously fit a carpeted panel over.

Any solutions for this?

Cheers
Hi, we make our own uppers and fix in place then carpet over for conversions. Or use a full size panel and make it removable if making Kombi type vans, cheers

@timthetinyhorse you might need to change the factory panel clips for deeper ones or you can conceal them under the carpet for the boards

and are you carpeting the metal work behind the panels would be easier to have the windows in or at least the holes cute in the side walls

theres a few companies selling rear quarter boards. and ceiling panels ( new clips required ) if Eclipes can't supply / post them you them

have a watch on you tube Combe valley Campers you might want to invest in a set of plastic trim tools too

If you use new ply for removable panels, longer clips needed. OEM you can just get away with standard clips. We screw ply on where units are going for strength. Not a fan of hidden clips due to the problems they give in fitting, removing panels etc.

If you are local to us we can supply, but not if we need to ship at this stage.

Thanks,
Ian

Last edited:
you might want a couple of these as a spare hand putting up the roof panels they make it so easy ... i even pushed in some of the clips with mine and held the side walls in positon

@ £22 a real bargain from Screwfix Extending Support Rod 2.95m the price has come down.....

Back