Build Or Buy?

PukkaT6

Pukka Insurance
T6 Legend
Ok so I have finally convinced my old man to buy a camper van. As I have not really ever had any plans to convert mine I have not really paid a lot of attention to the costs of buying as opposed to building.

Money is not really the issue however Im thinking buying a panel van/Kombi and converting is better than buying one - mainly as you get to spec all the components and know its done to specific standards.

What is the rough costs to convert excluding the van. Only things he wants is a hilo roof (and I have told him he has to get Bilsteins ha).

What are the advantages of buying already converted, any recommendations for companies who have a solid reputation?

All opinions welcome especially from trade members.

Last edited:
We built ours. For the price of a basic conversion inc middle-of-the-range pop top, we got leather trimmed seats, heater, head unit, speakers, sound proofing, hilo and exactly the units and electrics we wanted. We're only going over that price now it's time for SoLow's and body mods. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

VanDoc fitted the HiLo for us but everything else was done ourselves (ok the units were flatpack from Evo, but I put them together!).

It depends on how capable your old man is, and if he's willing to build it himself.

The bonus with building it yourself, is that you know how it all goes together and wired up how you want it.

As for cost, your prices are different in the UK to ours in Aus, but you have a lot of options for pre made cabinets, beds, curtains, basically everything, where here we are limited.

Im temped to build another one, but have to use this one first before the Crafter/Sprinter Camper build

We built ours. For the price of a basic conversion inc middle-of-the-range pop top, we got leather trimmed seats, heater, head unit, speakers, sound proofing, hilo and exactly the units and electrics we wanted. We're only going over that price now it's time for SoLow's and body mods. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

VanDoc fitted the HiLo for us but everything else was done ourselves (ok the units were flatpack from Evo, but I put them together!).

Out of interest how long did it take? Time factor v's cost also needs to be determined.

I think there are a few factors to consider:
1. Is it a ‘keeper’ or will you sell after a few years - having a professionally converted van may sell better and be easier to correctly insure.
2. How many thumbs on each hand - whilst everybody should be encouraged if you take a good van and convert it badly it will definitely be a ‘keeper’
3. Do you really have the time - a professional converter will turn a van around in 4 weeks which gets you out using it much quicker than doing it yourself.
4. Lastly but most importantly if you can only afford to DIY the choice is limited but you’ll have just as much fun as everybody else when it’s done!

Out of interest how long did it take? Time factor v's cost also needs to be determined.

We started mid Feb and it was useable by the end of May. That was with both of us working full time jobs and looking after a 4 year old. If you can get all hands on deck, every spare moment you have it can be done much quicker.

Having seen a few converted vans, I would prefer to build my own if I was to do it. That way you get to see the naked base van before you start. Trim panels and fixtures are a good way of hiding the state of a plasterers van underneath.

Having seen a few converted vans they are quite a bodge, some are as good as the converters, it will be cheaper to DIY but that certificate of an authentic build might just carry some value at sale time.

Each to their own and abilities and only you can gauge that, I guess the DIYers know their limits and most would not attempt a roof etc.

Last edited:
9226A7C9-9FF6-49B6-B126-2693001016C9.jpeg E6ABC45F-BEAD-4534-805B-59FE51BD290D.jpeg Convert yourself it’s not hard go around and choose the best company’s to do the work u can not do things like pop top,

I now have a the same dilemma, I told the wife I was looking to buy an Eberspacher and a Fiamma awning for our 18 plate Caravelle. To which see responded why not just buy a California :eek: so do I convert the ‘velle’ or buy a ‘Cali’ - pro’s & cons please :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies

Essentially my dad would not be building any part, he would send it to a reputable converter for them to do.(He has a car so it is no problem if it takes months).

He has wanted a camper for ages but it may be that after a couple of years he decides its not for him and sells.

I want him to convert a van as he gets to spec it, he was just wanting to know if it would make more sense financially than buying one already converted.

In terms of selling on i'm going to guess that it's pretty much neither here nor there. There are probably pros and cons for each option, but will a stock conversion from a well known company be worth more second hand than a bespoke conversion from a smaller local converter? No Idea, sorry.

Back