Brakes juddering at speed.

fatskater

Hi.
I've finally driven the van again after about 5 months!!!! Anyway to give it a charge etc driving down the motorway any braking gives a large juddering. Wasn’t happening before.Could this be to do with it sitting for so long?
Any thoughts?
Cheers Ben

Hi.
I've finally driven the van again after about 5 months!!!! Anyway to give it a charge etc driving down the motorway any braking gives a large juddering. Wasn’t happening before.Could this be to do with it sitting for so long?
Any thoughts?
Cheers Ben
If you have not done any work on the running gear I would guess it’s 5 months of rust, take it easy and see if the judder clears when the rust wears off. Emphasis on the take it easy bit!

I'd guess a seized caliper, although without driving it a guess is about as good as it gets.
Have you (on a deserted road) braked very hard down from about 20 mph, I'm talking big pressure on the pedal, that might free up a piston that has corroded stuck in the caliper?

It’s likely to be where the brake pads have been sat on the same spot in the discs for some time.
I have been able to cure this by braking hard a number of times (find a quiet spot !). This scrubs the pad residue and rust off the discs.
If that doesn’t work, then you might need new discs.

Pete

Pete has the right answer. I suspect they need a good warm up, clean off them cool down.

Back