Brake caliper painting

Hi
I am going to fit some 20” wheels and am thinking of having the callipers painted. What colour do you think would be best for a blackberry. Would love to see what you guys chose

Hi I have a blackberry and I don’t think any other colour apart from silver will look right maybe wrong but I’m getting my calipers painted next weekend

I swear by silver hammerite smooth, quick rub down with a wire brush and lasts for ages. Not perfect but still look far better than rusty callipers.
Mine is a silver van and keeps them looking new and factory look and subtle. I often get asked if van is new as brakes look brand new.
I’m thinking of going silver so it’s not too loud.
I think I know the answer to this, but has anyone bothered rubbing the casting down to smooth the callipers out?

We paint loads of calipers. Either hand paint or send to the body shop. A few coats and they last well - with the odd touch up needed here and there down the line but nothing major.
Obviously powder coating is the best way, but also the most expensive, but will provide a very hard coating.

Evening all, I am looking to be paint the brake calipers on the van soon. I have read all the threads that I can find on here, which all contains really helpful info and amazing pics.

I do have a few questions before I do the job and would be grateful of any tips that you may have.

1. Spray or brush on paint.
2. Do you paint the inside of the carrier's / calipers or just paint what you can see leaving everything in place?
3. Do you take the calipers off and hang from suspension spring to paint?
4. Do you take the pads off to paint?

I appreciate that you need to mask off the critical areas and discs.

Appreciate your views and tips. Thanks all.

Did you have a look at this? :

Did you have a look at this? :

@Dellmassive, yes I did thanks. Watched it 3 times and it has given me a very good platform to work off.

Having also watched loads of youtube videos and as I said read the amazing threads on here. I haven't seen anything where the underside of calipers are also painted, or should they be left alone.

My thinking was going to be take the carrier's off, pads out, mask off and paint. But don't know if painting the underside is required or should not be done for safety reasons.

I left them in place and prior to painting them had a right go at them with a wire brush and brake cleaner.
I painted everywhere I could see, underneath and as far behind them as I could. Took me a whole day to paint them but it’s a pleasing job once you have the wheels on.

My advise, clean, clean and clean before you even dip the brush in paint.

Copied over from the WHYDTYVT thread..

1d765295-5097-4c15-8b1d-e849f932400a-jpeg.91027

1d765295-5097-4c15-8b1d-e849f932400a-jpeg.91028

1d765295-5097-4c15-8b1d-e849f932400a-jpeg.91029

Last edited:
I left them in place and prior to painting them had a right go at them with a wire brush and brake cleaner.
I painted everywhere I could see, underneath and as far behind them as I could. Took me a whole day to paint them but it’s a pleasing job once you have the wheels on.

My advise, clean, clean and clean before you even sip the brush in paint.

View attachment 103890
Thanks for the reply. Looking good. Nice contrast against the wheel and indium grey

Started on painting the front calipers. Using the etech paint. Went for pure grey colour as didn't want nothing fancy.

Here are some before and after pics. Just put on 3rd coat and waiting for paint to settle.

IMG_20210222_134857.jpg

IMG_20210222_140054.jpg

IMG_20210222_142452.jpg

IMG_20210222_142454.jpg

IMG_20210222_142459.jpg

IMG_20210222_162003.jpg

IMG_20210222_162010.jpg

IMG_20210222_162017.jpg

IMG_20210222_140050.jpg

Update - have for one or two runs that have ended up in uneven streaks and blobs. Any ideas how to get rid of them?

Back