Bognor Or Transporter Hq

The_Lad

T6 Guru
Hi All,

Any opinions on who to use to fit B14s and ARB kit to my van both are about equal distance for me to travel but transporter HQ seem to be 350 quid cheaper.

Any valid reasons to chose Bognor motors over THQ, quality of work, knowledge of setting up etc etc ?

Cheers
Justin

My van is booked into Bognor Motors next week for its B14s and ARBs. They've also sourced a set of alloys and tyres which work out a couple of hundred quid cheaper than I could get from the likes of WheelBase or Rimstyle.

As they're quite some distance from me they'll be giving me a courtesy car to get back home with, which is handy.

The reason I went with them was the overwhelming positive feedback they enjoy from a number of members on here. Haven't read a bad word about them. Not to say HQ aren't as good, I just felt more comfortable going with Bognor Motors. They're a bit closer to me too.

yes i have read all the good reviews on Bognor but 350quid is quite alot so just want to see if THQ reports are as good, Bognor wont price match so it is just down to cost for me

Fair point. That's the price of having a pair of side bars fitted, or some such else.

Horses for courses innit?

No contest imo. @BognorMotors. They have vast knowledge and experience. I don't think i have seen any thing negative on this forum about them. Only going by what i read on this forum.
But as you say £350 gets you something else for the van

BM without a doubt are professionals, but in this day and age you have to be competitive. If you are not competitive, then you don't get the sale. My guess is that BM use their existing skilled on staff mechanics to do the work and THQ use fitters, which are probably paid a fair bit less but will do it all day every day so know just as much if not more.

Whilst @BognorMotors are undoubtedly professional and offer great advice and support on the forum, and have lots and lots of happy customers, I am sure THQ are no different. I have no specific leaning to either and wouldn’t recommend one over the other.
@Tourershine and @T6180 seem to have as good a rapport with THQ as many others have with Oli at Bognor.
THQ know their T6’s and developed the new SoLow coilovers for Bilstein.
So for me it is a really balanced argument between the two, made even harder by them being equal distance from you.
You could look at it that £350 difference is a lot of money and could buy you something else. Maybe there is a deal to be done with Oli as he has a better link to the Forum than THQ do?

I am a little biased here as I have used Bognor Motors for nearly 8 years now.
From body work repairs, servicing now for 5 + family cars/vans.
3 sets of Bilstein B14 and a set of HR springs and a load of wheels.
4 new/ex demo vans/California.
Do Transporter HQ carry out 4 wheel alignment and offer free adjustments if reqd after they have settled down, courtesy car
whilst the works are carried out ?

I doubt if Oli will reply for a couple of days as he is away on a charity bike ride for the next few days:-

Home | The Pink Pub To Pegasus Bridge...

I've used both companies, and I think they are both equally as good.
Andy at HQ is a mate, and often helps me out if I need something, but then they are only 25 mins from me. Oli is a really nice guy and their setup is extremely professional. Bognor did all my B14 and ARB install and I opted for Bognor for several reasons. Main one being at the time, HQ didn't have the installation setup they have now, and they tended to pass the installation work to someone I didn't personally know. They now have a much bigger workshop, with a dedicated suspension genius. The only downside is they are busy, and as some members know, they are sometimes a longer lead time for installs, which is not a negative by any means. The other reason I drove the 300 mile round trip to Bognor was because they let me use the 300hp TSI monster for the day, and I would of driven that far just to experience a 300hp T6 anyway.

I'm not sure how the £350 gap happened, because most companies up and down the UK that are selling, and installing B14's tend to be pretty much the same price, give or take a few pounds. Are you sure that's like for like comparison? I'd be surprised if @BognorMotors are quoting too much, equally, if HQ are quoting too little. Something doesn't seem right there.

Lastly, factor in around £70 for a full Hunter alignment, take it from me, it's worth it.
Both will do a sufficient setup, and both will offer a free height adjustment in the future, but if you end up going maximum low, this really needs to have a Hunter alignment, as i've found out to my cost.

Last edited:
Out of interest what was it and how much?

Transporter HQ
B14s – 1100.00
ARB – 475.00
Revo – 478.80
Total = 2053.80

Absolute5
B14s --- 1299
ARB --- 599
Pendle Remap --- 414
Total = 2314

Bognor Motors

B14s and ARB = 1920.00
Revo= 478.80
Total = 2398.80

Bognor includes a 4 wheel alignment and first adjustment for free if needed

I've used both companies, and I think they are both equally as good.
Andy at HQ is a mate, and often helps me out if I need something, but then they are only 25 mins from me. Oli is a really nice guy and their setup is extremely professional. Bognor did all my B14 and ARB install and I opted for Bognor for several reasons. Main one being at the time, HQ didn't have the installation setup they have now, and they tended to pass the installation work to someone I didn't personally know. They now have a much bigger workshop, with a dedicated suspension genius. The only downside is they are busy, and as some members know, they are sometimes a longer lead time for installs, which is not a negative by any means. The other reason I drove the 300 mile round trip to Bognor was because they let me use the 300hp TSI monster for the day, and I would of driven that far just to experience a 300hp T6 anyway.

I'm not sure how the £350 gap happened, because most companies up and down the UK that are selling, and installing B14's tend to be pretty much the same price, give or take a few pounds. Are you sure that's like for like comparison? I'd be surprised if @BognorMotors are quoting too much, equally, if HQ are quoting too little. Something doesn't seem right there.

Lastly, factor in around £70 for a full Hunter alignment, take it from me, it's worth it.
Both will do a sufficient setup, and both will offer a free height adjustment in the future, but if you end up going maximum low, this really needs to have a Hunter alignment, as i've found out to my cost.

Is there somewhere local to THQ you would recommend for a 4 wheel alignment? Or do THQ have the kit to do this?

Though both companies are well regarded and very popular, I'd say Bognor.

Oli from Bognor has always been very helpful when I've had questions!

Although I believe THQ did fit @andys rear ARB trailing arm bushes upside down! :unsure:

Last edited:
We can do that all in a day no problem, and will supply a courtesy vehicle. You will always find a different in price between garages, down to overheads etc. Our price includes a full four wheel alignment, and a second height adjustment FOC, if you wanted to alter it at a later stage - Happy to chat through on the phone and see what we can work out?

Oli

Back