BHP for a 4-berth camper...

AlexWinstanley

Hi everyone

I've had advice that 102 BHP wouldn't be enough for a T28 or T30 4-berth camper.. any advice on what sort of BHP I should be looking for? I'm trying not to restrict myself to looking for closer to 150, unless that's more advisable.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks a lot
Alex

Quite a few posts on this already, my view has always been that nobody ever (waiting to be corrected!) went to a garage and asked if they could remap their van down to give it less power.
Search using the term "102". :thumbsup:

In a nut shell, everyone will try and convince you what they have is the best :cool:

Those with 102's will say its plenty fast enough and gets good MPG, Those with 150s will say they are far superior and you shouldn't consider the 102.

My view was to get in one and drive it and decide for yourself, i did and i don't regret buying a 102!

I'm a 102 er and its been OK. Not quick off the mark but a good plodder. I'm considering a Pendal remap for some time in the future as I'm not too far from them but also have a good local agent.

We have a 102hp T30 camper. It's plenty fast enough for what we want, does 40mpg+ on the motorway if you don't cane it, cruises easily at 80mph on the French autoroutes all day, and climbs Alpine passes quite happily.
Would it be nice if it was a bit faster through the gears ? Of course. But why would you be in a hurry in a camper ?
It's different if it's your daily drive.

Pete

All I would say if you get a 150 it comes with the stronger 6 speed gear box, so if you got a 102 and decide to get it chipped the gear box could be a weak link.

I don’t think I’d go less than 150 and a 6 speed purely for the torque on steep hills.
I’ve borrowed DSG vans and I hate them, manual for me.

Ultimately go for the 199 4 motion. Extra weight, bigger brakes and engine less strained, but less mpg.

Personally, I drove a few 102s when I was looking for my camper and thought them a bit under-powered but it was the 5 speed box that came with it that broke the deal as well. I went for a 150 / 6 speed in the end and it’s a much better drive that might be even better with a remap after the VW warranty expires. It doesn’t help that my daily drive is a 3L V6 though. That said, I still sort of regret not going for DSG as well - I say ‘sort of’ but that’s only because my other cars an auto and I have to think about it when I go back to a manual. However, that’s probably just because the van isn’t being used that much

Years ago when the T5 first came out we were running the second of two 102ps T4s. I visited our local dealer and had a test drive in a new 102ps T5 and was horrified by the seemingly much worse performance.

I've now run 174ps, 180ps and 140ps versions of T5 & T6, my conclusion is that for performance obviously the 174 & 180 are best but the 140 and I assume the 150 are the best for fuel consumption and everyday driving. I would never dream of going down to a 102, as @Ayjay says above the five speed box is also against it.

199 DSG 4M for me... had a 70 litre underslung water tank fitted but internal gas bottle... works for me and I kept the spare.

So seamless through the 7 speed box and a pleasure to drive...

If the original poster doesn't want the extra horses then a 150 is probably the better option.

199 DSG 4M for me... had a 70 litre underslung water tank fitted but internal gas bottle... works for me and I kept the spare.

So seamless through the 7 speed box and a pleasure to drive...

If the original poster doesn't want the extra horses then a 150 is probably the better option.

Where did you fit a 70L tank on a 4motion? Did you stick the spare wheel on the back or something?

Spare wheel is in the normal place.

70 litre CAK water tank is under the drivers side, running from roughly behind the drivers seat to two feet before the rear wheel arch.. Water filler is on the rear quarter just back from the wheel arch.

You can see the drain tap and waste outlet in the picture in front of the rear wheel arch near the sill.. these are at the back of the water tank..

OI000037.jpg

Spare wheel is in the normal place.

70 litre CAK water tank is under the drivers side, running from roughly behind the drivers seat to two feet before the rear wheel arch.. Water filler is on the rear quarter just back from the wheel arch.

You can see the drain tap and waste outlet in the picture in front of the rear wheel arch near the sill.. these are at the back of the water tank..

View attachment 79600

Interesting, have you got a link for the 70L tank? I’ve seen 48L linked skirt tanks before but not your 70L version.

Interesting, have you got a link for the 70L tank? I’ve seen 48L linked skirt tanks before but not your 70L version.

We may of chatted about this before @t0mb0 My convertor spent an age getting a suitable tank, he then had to modify the inlet of the tank to mount it... he said he liked a challenge... and this tested him a little... as it wasnt straight forward... I asked him if he could remember where he got the tank... he wasn't 100% sure as he looked at so many before finding the best suitable one, but he said he thought it was a CAK tank...

Back