Camper Engine - Size Matters?

Totally different subject. The conversation was about gearing.
Actually it was about whether the 140 had sufficient power to run easily in 6th at 2000rpm/70mph. Mine does, even when heavily loaded, and given that others have not had that experience, was looking for an explanation. Mapping with higher hp/torque at the same given rpm/road speed would be one explanation.

Actually it was about whether the 140 had sufficient power to run easily in 6th at 2000rpm/70mph. Mine does, even when heavily loaded, and given that others have not had that experience, was looking for an explanation. Mapping with higher hp/torque at the same given rpm/road speed would be one explanation.
I had a T5.1 Beach 140 and found it would pull our twin-axle in 6th gear at around 65-70 mph but I’d have to drop a gear on an incline. We now have a T6 Beach 150 DSG but haven’t used it under load yet due to lockdown!

I think the Beach is so versatile though seven people with all the ski gear is some going!!!

I had a T5.1 Beach 140 and found it would pull our twin-axle in 6th gear at around 65-70 mph but I’d have to drop a gear on an incline. We now have a T6 Beach 150 DSG but haven’t used it under load yet due to lockdown!

I think the Beach is so versatile though seven people with all the ski gear is some going!!!
That sounds similar to my experience.

All 7 skis fit in their bags with poles between the first two rows, plenty of room for three people in the third row. All back packs with clothes, etc. below the multiflex set to long, all boots above the multiflex. Someone does have to get over the skis to get to the inner second row seat, but it makes for very reasonably priced fuel/tolls for the 750km trip. We don't all sleep in the van!

That sounds similar to my experience.

All 7 skis fit in their bags with poles between the first two rows, plenty of room for three people in the third row. All back packs with clothes, etc. below the multiflex set to long, all boots above the multiflex. Someone does have to get over the skis to get to the inner second row seat, but it makes for very reasonably priced fuel/tolls for the 750km trip. We don't all sleep in the van!
Without a doubt an efficient and cost-effective way to travel. And, with a gang of friends...what a way to go!
I shudder to think what a return trip might be like if, heaven forbid, someone had a leg in a cast! Well, rest it on the skis, eh?!!

Seven adults and all their skiing gear and cruising at 2,000 rpm in sixth gear, are you skiing in Holland?
Getting so close to calling bullshit on this one.:whistle:

Seven adults and all their skiing gear and cruising at 2,000 rpm in sixth gear, are you skiing in Holland?
Getting so close to calling bullshit on this one.:whistle:
Please be my guest if you must, but since about 60% of the 50,000km I've put on the van in the last 2/12 years has been with my 7 person ski and mountaineering group with all our equipment, I think that would be a comment on your lack of this kind of experience with the van. We've also done bike tours with second row out, bench moved up to second row, 5 people, 5 bikes inside and another 4 bikes on the tailgate rack. 6th was still useful, but fuel consumption was high due to bad aerodynamics of the bikes. I've already seen a solution for this. The point is, I regularly do a wide variety of sports activities with the van full, often with 7 people aboard, which is why I bought a Beach instead of an Ocean in the first place. I'm really impressed that it does it's job with the group so well, and then takes me on my own everywhere from Denmark to Albania.

Last edited:
Seems to me that it's all a matter of torque, and how the curve is set. As I said, it's a while ago, but I felt that the van didn't start pulling properly until 2,200rpm - i.e. 75 mph (indicated), and just got sweeter (and more illegal!), thereafter.
My Missus always used to say it was 'groaning' if I tried to accelerate at any lower revs., and grumble at me!
Mind you, the setting on ALL 'gear change alerts' are now impossibly low, way below the revs we think are needed - so we ignore them completely.
On the last van we tested, (a MAN -i.e. Crafter automatic), takeoff was dreadfully slow on roundabouts, as it was in 3rd by 15mph!
The 102, 5-speed, however, always seems to be perfectly and intuitively geared, if a little limited in top speed. But unless lowered with tweaked shockers etc , no Transporter is as chuckable on bendy roads as, say, a Trannie Custom, so has to be driven with a little more caution. Especially if it's a camper!
I do like my 204, and straight line performance is phenomenal, but a 102 would be perfectly acceptable (to me), and it's cross-country speed is much the same.

Mind you, the setting on ALL 'gear change alerts' are now impossibly low, way below the revs we think are needed - so we ignore them completely.
So true! From what I've read, anyone who actually followed the low rpms of the alerts would have DPF headaches, aside from lugging the engine. The tach is just for confirmation, anyone with experience and feel for motors can sense when the revs are too high or too low by the combination of sound and power output. Being a musician helps! Unfortunately it also means I miss the sound of the 2.5 5cyl. compared to the boring appliance buzz of the 2.0, but here the important thing is economy, which the 2.0 does remarkably well.

Last edited:
For clarity's sake, when I'm at 2000rpm in 6th on standard 215/65 16s, speedometer says 120kph (74.56mph). However, gps says I'm actually doing 115kph (71.45mph).

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 1.54.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-12 at 1.58.11 PM.png

We bought the t28 and it was 109hp
Was ok for most driving however struggled on motorways / bypasses that had hills.

We got it remapped via superchips for £150 (no extra cost to insurance as via Adrian flux) and what a difference

Get an extra 5mpg and no issues with power anymore

Performance Figures

Original Bhp / Improved Bhp : 109.00 / 186.00
Original Torque(Nm) / Improved Torque(Nm) : 250.00 / 411.00

Hi there. Please could you let me know how you're going with this and whether you're still happy with it? I am considering mapping my 102BHP T6 and Superchips still have the £100 off deal going. Thanks in advance

Still loving the difference and had no issues at all. Would definitely recommend! Especially if you have motorways / bypassses nearby on hills

Thanks for that. Off touring the Emerald Isle for a week next week so thinking might be a goer before then. Especially at that price. Cheers

Still loving the difference and had no issues at all. Would definitely recommend! Especially if you have motorways / bypassses nearby on hills
Hi. Do you have 6 speed gearbox? I’m thinking of getting a remap as I’m on a 90hp but wondering whether the bigger issue is that I have to run 2500 revs at 70mph

Back