Camper Engine - Size Matters?

Well, I've got a 204 manual high-top campervan, and it's quick, and good for overtaking, and poor for economy (32-33, driven 'briskly'). I bought it because it was available locally at a good price when I was after a suitable van for conversion.
If there had been a 102 manual at the same time, same spec, for a lower price, I would have bought it instead.
Having owned several T4s and T5s (all campers) over the years, and tested many others for magazines, I reckon the 102 5-speed is about the sweetest overall combination, with the nicest gearing, and gets nearly 40mpg - driven precisely the same way as the 204 - with the revs kept up in the band, and briskly.
To me, it's all in the gearing, and the one I really couldn't get on with was the T5 140 manual.
Why? Because it was so high geared it wouldn't pull in 6th below 75mph. At 80+, it really went like an express train. Brilliant for the autobahnen, useless over here, and thirsty, too.
No such problem with the 102, nor with the 204, as it's better geared, and SO powerful.
I was never offered an 84 to test, but if it were at all sluggish, and I owned it, I would have had it remapped to 102.
Remember when a 102 T4 2.5litre was just about the most powerful van on the road? All things are relative!
I have a 140 6 speed manual T6 mapped to 175, I have posted on here before, I find 6th gear too high, I wish it were slightly lower.

To me, it's all in the gearing, and the one I really couldn't get on with was the T5 140 manual.
Why? Because it was so high geared it wouldn't pull in 6th below 75mph.
6th in a 140 is the modern version of overdrive. Doing 1000km at 2000rpm in one day from Copenhagen to Bavaria on mostly flat land last summer when we had to change plans due to Norway closing its borders was so easy. On a 140 you can always downshift to 5th if you want to pass on a hill. On the 102 you are stuck at 3000rpm at 120kph no matter how flat the road.

In my 102hp van 3,000 rpm in fifth gear is 80 mph on the speedo or GPS, 2,500 rpm is 70 mph, realistically unless the road is perfectly flat with very little other traffic you're not going to cruise 1,000 kms anywhere in the UK in 6th gear... now LED headlights on the other hand...:whistle:

In my 102hp van 3,000 rpm in fifth gear is 80 mph on the speedo or GPS, 2,500 rpm is 70 mph, realistically unless the road is perfectly flat with very little other traffic you're not going to cruise 1,000 kms anywhere in the UK in 6th gear... now LED headlights on the other hand...:whistle:
No, not in the UK. But many of us do travel on the continent. 2000km in 3 days Barcelona-Edinburgh to kick off 5 weeks hiking in Scotland was done almost entirely in 6th at 2000rpm (120kph/72mph), which in the 140 is the sweet spot of high torque, low consumption and wear, and silent running.

Last edited:
I rarely use the motorways and on dual carriageways I'm restricted to 60mph, so I'd still rather 6th gear was slightly lower.
Each of us uses our vans differently and what suits one won't necessarily be perfect for another.

Do Manual T6 vans in the UK only have a 5 speed gearbox , mine is a manual 6 speed . Reading the above posts this is the impression I got but I may have got it wrong.

It's a funny old world when 70mph at 2,500rpm is so wrong compared to 72mph at 2,000rpm? :whistle:
Mind you I'm the same, who would have thought that cruising at 4,000rpm in a Seat Leon Cupra would be so economical?

Is 102 ps equal to 140 hp.
Is a TDI340 a 140hp engine.
Think I'm getting confused due to different ways of measuring power.

Is 102 ps equal to 140 hp. No
Is a TDI340 a 140hp engine. No idea what a TDI340 is!
Think I'm getting confused due to different ways of measuring power. Google is your cobber but for a non-techie moron like me PS & HP are near enough the same as to make no difference.

Last edited:
TDI340 is the model VWT6 I have. The engine is rated at 103kw which I think is 140 hp. The 340 is the torque figure in Nm.
Some posts mention hp and some ps so it gets confusing as the specs on mine here are listed in kw.
What size engines are available in the UK.

Despite the various power outputs all the diesel engines are 2.0 litre inline 4 cylinders.

I watch Mighty Car Mods on Youtube and always wonder why the power output is measured in kilowatts when you can claim much higher bragging rights using horse power... and yes my amplifier does go up to 11.:whistle:

Stop press and following a search Mick you have a TDi 250 too with 75kw and a 5 speed box which is the 102ps over here with 250Nm of torque.

Last edited:
It's a while back now, (2013), but I recall our 140 wasn't yet in the 'sweet spot' at 70 in 6th - the slightest incline, and you'd feel it start to labour. At 80mph, no problem at all - it would charge up any hill, because the revs were that bit higher and the full torque was available. I found 5th gear, at 70, was just a bit low (i.e. the revs were a bit high for comfort), so the choice was, run at 65 in 5th, or 80 in 6th. Annoying!

It's a while back now, (2013), but I recall our 140 wasn't yet in the 'sweet spot' at 70 in 6th - the slightest incline, and you'd feel it start to labour. At 80mph, no problem at all - it would charge up any hill, because the revs were that bit higher and the full torque was available. I found 5th gear, at 70, was just a bit low (i.e. the revs were a bit high for comfort), so the choice was, run at 65 in 5th, or 80 in 6th. Annoying!
I guess it's possible that gearing was changed for the 2014 140...I set autopilot to120kph/72mph and go all day at 2000rpm unless there are serious hills. Keep in mind that it's a Beach, so it's usually stuffed with bikes, backpacks, food, skis, and sometimes 7 people with all their ski kit when we make our yearly trip to the Alps.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies. Its confusing when different places use KWs and others PS to measure engines.
Then others mention their engines in HP .
We didn't get as many engine variants available in Australia as you did so I hadn't heard of some of them.

I guess it's possible that gearing was changed for the 2014 140...I set autopilot to120kph/72mph and go all day at 2000rpm unless there are serious hills. Keep in mind that it's a Beach, so it's usually stuffed with bikes, backpacks, food, skis, and sometimes 7 people with all their ski kit when we make our yearly trip to the Alps.
Ok, now I'm getting to be like a dog with a bone. I remember checking with GPS, and the speedometer is about 5kph fast at that range of speed (I'm running standard 215 65 16s). So, at 2000 rpm on the tach I am doing 115kph/69mph. I'm curious why we are having different results...maybe the German dealership had it mapped before I bought it from them as a demo!

Ok, now I'm getting to be like a dog with a bone. I remember checking with GPS, and the speedometer is about 5kph fast at that range of speed (I'm running standard 215 65 16s). So, at 2000 rpm on the tach I am doing 115kph/69mph. I'm curious why we are having different results...maybe the German dealership had it mapped before I bought it from them as a demo!
The engine map will have zero effect on how fast you are travelling at any given engine speed, if your T6 is travelling at 69mph at 2000 revs in sixth gear, that gearing is fixed and mapping the engine is irrelevant. Changing wheels and / or tyres can change the effective gearing but not the engine map.

The engine map will have zero effect on how fast you are travelling at any given engine speed, if your T6 is travelling at 69mph at 2000 revs in sixth gear, that gearing is fixed and mapping the engine is irrelevant. Changing wheels and / or tyres can change the effective gearing but not the engine map.
But it does raise the hp and torque available at the same rpm/speed.

Back