Acquiring a camper - Eu5 5spd or Eu6 6spd??

Peta

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and looking for advice please. I've put a holding deposit on a 2016 T6 T32 BMT 150 fully converted campervan which has a euro 6 engine, mileage just under 60k. Another T6 has just been advertised closer to me which is a 2015 T6 T28 BMT 102 with a euro 5 engine 37k. Both Highline in excellent condition but the 2015 is substantially less money. My main indecision is around the engine, which is best euro 5 or 6? Is a euro 6 better looking ahead regarding emissions? Would welcome advice please!

Euro 6 is better if you live near a congestion zone that charges, if not then personally the euro 5 is less problematic and doesnt require adblue !

My T6 150 (31,000 miles) has been very unreliable. A number of Engine management issues relating to add blue and egr. Loose door handles, gearbox etc.

You will find many stories on here about the poor reliability of the T6 . If I was going to buy another VW , I wouldn’t buy a T6.

Whereas my 2019 150 DSG has been faultless with the exception of a dodgy electric sliding door lock and needing anti rollbar droplinks at 37000 miles.

T28 5 speed is really woefull with a full camper conversion. They are a cheaper base van of choice for conversion companies. With a full conversion on a T28, they will be near the gross vehicle weight

T28 5 speed is really woefull with a full camper conversion. They are a cheaper base van of choice for conversion companies. With a full conversion on a T28, they will be near the gross vehicle weight

Agreed, and bear in mind that the 5 speed gearbox is known to have weaknesses, the 6 speed is much stronger.

I had my T30 conversion weighed recently and was quite shocked to discover it was 2620kg. That included me in it and a bit of work kit. Add a couple of family members and some camping kit and there wouldn't be a lot of spare if it were a T28. Haven't driven anything but this Euro 6 150, but it drives fine, wouldn't want less power.

With more and more UK and European towns and cities introducing clean air zones and the like you might well be better off with a Euro 6 engine over a Euro 5.
The number of them is only going to go up. Costs to take a Euro 5 diesel in to the restricted areas vary, but £10 per day is not uncommon.
The new one in Manchester covers the whole metropolitan area. Others, like Bath, are only the city centre.

With more and more UK and European towns and cities introducing clean air zones and the like you might well be better off with a Euro 6 engine over a Euro 5.
The number of them is only going to go up. Costs to take a Euro 5 diesel in to the restricted areas vary, but £10 per day is not uncommon.
The new one in Manchester covers the whole metropolitan area. Others, like Bath, are only the city centre.
The only thing I’d add to that is that an AdBlue retrofit is circa £6500, so if you found a Euro 5 van that had everything you wanted and was five or so grand cheaper, then it could still be considered viable (Euro 5 engines do also come in a six-speed option @Peta FYI)

T28 is great with a self build camper conversion using lightweight materials. Will suit a leisurely driver. If you going for corian worktops and every bell and whistle you may need a t30 upwards with 150 engine

Back