looking at insurance policies and i am concerned some policies i looked at do not give full comprehensive cover in the EU and only cover personal items for up to £300 ,giving that i could be carrying an awning and bikes which would could cost 5k to replace i was wondering if others had looked at this cover.
You generally have 3rd party cover and have to tell them which countrys you are visiting. Also no longer than 90days.
£300 is very low. Should be between 3-5k. Try Comfort insurance

looking at insurance policies and i am concerned some policies i looked at do not give full comprehensive cover in the EU and only cover personal items for up to £300 ,giving that i could be carrying an awning and bikes which would could cost 5k to replace i was wondering if others had looked at this cover.
Definitely a consideration for me. Went with Comfort Insurance and their £5k personal items cover was one factor (as was the premium they quoted!).

You generally have 3rd party cover and have to tell them which countrys you are visiting. Also no longer than 90days.
£300 is very low. Should be between 3-5k. Try Comfort insurance
Not too keen on 3rd party insurance on a 50k van

Ahhhh another one that requires the van to be registered as a campervan but the dvla refuse to change it. This is so frustrating getting decent insurance!

Try NFU, voted top insurer by Which. I have fully comprehensive cover for unlimited temporary visits to Europe.

Try NFU, voted top insurer by Which. I have fully comprehensive cover for unlimited temporary visits to Europe.
Having heard good things on here about NFU, I went to their local office to discuss campervan insurance and, bizarrely, they told me they weren't competitive with campervans?!? All seemed very odd and somewhat implausible.

Having heard good things on here about NFU, I went to their local office to discuss campervan insurance and, bizarrely, they told me they weren't competitive with campervans?!? All seemed very odd and somewhat implausible.
It maybe because my van is registered as a ‘motor caravan’ it falls under motor home insurance.
I know that the NFU motor home clause applies to my van as they won’t offer recovery.

Reactions: Bav
hi there collecting ours fairly soonish so we are seeking clarification and help / advice please - sorry in advance for all the questions

does the Comfort company one cover fully comp? and what are their contact details please ?

Are there also other companies that also cover fully comp with good rates that people have used and recommend?

We have used a company who provided the van and are converting it for us , so will the V5 need to be changed by them from motor vehicle status to camper van somehow ?

with regard to breakdown cover is it covered just like any other vehicle ?

thank you for any help /advice we are newbies at all this

hi there collecting ours fairly soonish so we are seeking clarification and help / advice please - sorry in advance for all the questions

does the Comfort company one cover fully comp? and what are their contact details please ?

Are there also other companies that also cover fully comp with good rates that people have used and recommend?

We have used a company who provided the van and are converting it for us , so will the V5 need to be changed by them from motor vehicle status to camper van somehow ?

thank you f

Breakdown cover, yes just like any other vehicle.
Ref V5 change from van to motorhome, i am sure the DVLA suspended V5 changes for us lot, but am sure someone on here will clarify for you.
My advice on insurance is dont go with the places that offer disciunts for being a club member of something, a total con. I am Full Comp, £250 excess and am with Adrian Flux. try and call a few if you have time, prices vary.

good luck and happy camping

Breakdown cover, yes just like any other vehicle.
Ref V5 change from van to motorhome, i am sure the DVLA suspended V5 changes for us lot, but am sure someone on here will clarify for you.
My advice on insurance is dont go with the places that offer disciunts for being a club member of something, a total con. I am Full Comp, £250 excess and am with Adrian Flux. try and call a few if you have time, prices vary.

good luck and happy camping
thank you for your advice can I ask how much your insurance cover was for the year please with Flux ?

Yes hoping others can help me with info on reputable insurance companies at competitive cost and also the situation with the V5 after a transposrter is converted to a camper - does DVLA need to be informed for details on the V5 to be changed ?

V5 to motor caravan - only with a fixed high top, not a pop top. It’s now irrelevant as insurance companies are no longer bothered about the classification on conversions.

Myself and many on here use Brentacre

Other popular insurers are A-plan (Thatcham branch), Adrian Flux, Just Kampers.

Have a search using the search function.

Typing ‘insurance’ into the search option at the top right brings a whole list of results on the forum.

My policy with Brentacre covers me fully comp whilst abroad with no time limit. I enquired about this last year before my 5 week drive through Europe, and just confirmed it this month prior to renewal. I pay £367 fully comp, no additional excess over the standard £250, van parked on the road outside my house.

Hi. Answering your questions in order...
  • Yes
  • Just google "Comfort Insurance" and their contact details appear top (best to phone and speak to a human than try & use their online system)
  • Yes, there's quite a few, but you'll need to ring around to see who quotes the best premium for your circumstances. Read here and search the forum for companies that others have used...
  • Unless your converter buys new vans directly from VW and produces type-approved conversions, your V5 will show "Van with windows" and the DVLA will not entertain changing it to "Motor Caravan". Read here for details...
  • your breakdown provider is best placed to answer this
HTH

Didn't give insurance a thought when deciding on a brand new T6 shuttle, after all rear seats removed has had some adaptions for my disabled wife like underslung wheelchair lift, six way passenger seat, pop up roof, toilet and washbasin, and two fold away seats and table. Collecting vehicle next week, our current insurer with our old wheelchair accessible vehicle was unable to offer us insurance and upon reading up it seems quite common so was glad when I came across Adrian Flux, they was able to insure if we agreed to a tracker, total year price £2088.34 that includes the annual subscription for the tracker breakdown cover UK and Europe, personal accident and legal expenses and one named driver vehicle valued at £80.000
I did double check with them as I thought it seemed high to what others are paying but was told adaptions will increase the price or do others not declare the the full value of the vehicle, any thoughts people.

Back