GJH

Model maker
T6 Pro
Apologies if this is in the wrong section....Wifie and I are in the process of buying a T6 Highline camper....so whom does y'all recommend for insurance? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but rather the one with whom any claims have been least painful...
Cheers
Graeme

There are a few threads on this currently on the go, with a list of insurers that members recommend etc. maybe worth a quick search, as many points have been covered that may help you out too..

Thankfully I have not had to make any claims, so unable to advise or recommend on this specific question.

remember that some companies appear cheap via online searches but mayn't accept some mods.. so worth asking before signing/paying.

Prospective new owner of a T6 hillside birchover. Anyone know of reputable U.K. Based insurance companies that would cover the vehicle parked overnight on the street?

Had a few 'interesting' quotes....
Cheers.

Prospective new owner of a T6 hillside birchover. Anyone know of reputable U.K. Based insurance companies that would cover the vehicle parked overnight on the street?

Had a few 'interesting' quotes....
Cheers.
I insure my Birchover via Camping and Caravan Club, Club Care Insurance - parked on drive though - not sure if that would make a difference.

Just done my camper through caravan guard did ask me if it was parked on the road, which it isnt, so it must make quite a bit of a difference

Thanks folks, for the really helpful replies. Good to hear experiences.

Have tried Carvavan Guard who were friendly on the phone. Took some details then refused to insure due to parking overnight on the road, not on a drive or garage. So, still shopping around...

Has anyone had any experience of a company called Trinity Lane Insurance?

Hello more experienced T6 enthusiasts.

I am in the initial stages of buying a 2017 T6 Highline, and converting myself. I thought I would try and save myself some time and ask you who the best insurers are for a fully converted T6 camper.

The first quote I received was from a company called AdrianFlux for £839 including a price basis of 40k. This is more than double what I pay for my BMW Msport Estate.

Now I'm no expert at this point but that seems excessive. I'm 31 with 13 yrs no claims.

Appreciate any help, and advice above and beyond insurance also if you have the time.

Cheers,

Jay

We are with A-Plan. Our premium is half that, although it obviously depends on the vehicle spec and your location.

Pete

Yep to many variables to compare prices, age, postcode, job, etc. Just keep calling around for quotes. Worth noting that as it currently stands your van will remain a van (with windows) after conversion due to DVLA rules so be careful what you declare it as and check if it would be covered as a MH.

If it helps, I put together this list of companies which have been recommended by bods on this forum so that I could do the rounds when my policy expired.

Campervan insurers

1. CARAVANWISE

2. A-PLAN

3. 2GETHER

4. AIB

5. COMFORT

6. ADVANCE

7. BRENTACRE

8. QUOTAX

9. CAMPTON

10. LIFESURE

11. CLASSICLINEINSURANCE

12. JUST KAMPERS

We are with Safeguard and paid £463 for a 2016 Highline fully converted valued at just over £40.000 reclassed as a motor caravan with no no claims as it was still on my car.

Hopping for a reduction this year as I will have my full no claims to add on and have a cat 7 tracker fitted.

We were with Adrian Flux as they were the only company that would insure us as a “van in conversion” for the value we required. That was 2 years ago & the van is now converted. They wanted around £800 for the renewal this year. I shopped around & got a quote from Just Kampers for around £400, give or take. When I looked at the small print, Adrian Flux & Just Kampers are all the same company. Both policies were with Axa. They are just a set of robbing chancers, no matter who you go with.

To everyone that replied, thank you very much. some really useful information given.

**True Romance: "Worth noting that as it currently stands your van will remain a van (with windows) after conversion due to DVLA rules".

My understanding was that once the full conversion is complete I can declare with the DVLA that it is now a motor home?

Cheers,

Jay.

To everyone that replied, thank you very much. some really useful information given.

**True Romance: "Worth noting that as it currently stands your van will remain a van (with windows) after conversion due to DVLA rules".

My understanding was that once the full conversion is complete I can declare with the DVLA that it is now a motor home?

Cheers,

Jay.
Sadly everything seems to have changed, see this thread V5 Documentation - Dvla Rule Change For Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Be extremely wary of using Comfort. While the policy / insurer is good, and their service is too, there is a clause in the policy which says that if the vehicle is left more than 48 hours unattended, then they have to approve the location. (Obviously this is a location other than your normal address). What they DON'T tell you at outset is that this "approval" will only be given if the location is "secure", and that to all intents and purposes excludes anything other than a compound of some sort. Certainly a public carpark, roadside, etc is unacceptable. This may not be an issue for most folk, but those of us who use the van for outdoor activity, and might be away in the hills for a multi-day trip will find it a problem.

... there is a clause in the policy which says that if the vehicle is left more than 48 hours unattended, then they have to approve the location...
I had a similar problem with my motorbike insurance: I always keep it in the garage, but when the garage door mechanism broke, I kept it under the car port for a few weeks, and didn’t think anything of it. Upon renewal, I checked about the “kept in a garage” bit and was told that the bike was not insured for theft from my address (or nearby) unless it was in my garage. Full stop. Most companies will apparently limit that “not covered” bit to just overnight, but not every company, and who was to know?

I have just been quoted £660 for my converted van including my 25 year old son, and agreed value from Just Kampers (yes, Axa). Thats probably with 1yr NCB, but I’ve just remembered that I’ve sold the car now, so can transfer that NCB across to hopefully bring it down a bit.

Back