B14's - Height Vs Ride

kn0bby

T6 Guru
So I am "Slammed" as low as it will go on the B14's at the moment.. The ride is firm!

IMG_1074.jpg

Daily for me its fine but when the family are in it, it does throw them about a bit and we are yet to do anything longer than an hour. Later in March we are doing a Cornwall/Devon trip (3-4 hour trip)

I'm wondering how progressive the firmness is, if I raise up 10mm am I going to notice the difference?

Also being set on my lowest setting, I agree it is very firm, plus I carry a consistent weight of around 400kgs with all my kit, racking etc.
Mine was set-up by Bognor at 10mm above lowest, and t0 be honest, dropping it that extra 10mm felt no different.

I am running H&R Arb's, also set at the firmest. The only difference between you and I potentially is it looks like you might be on 20s?
I'm on 19's with 45 profile tyres, and it's only when I moved to my current full winter tyres, that I improved the comfort. My summer 45s are the same size, but a lot firmer.

20181230_121301.jpg

4463842D-5A47-4618-B11F-900A4656A5E5.jpeg Ours is a camper with all the weight in the back so the rears are on the highest setting with the fronts dropped to level it out, I estimate about 50mm all round. No issues with the ride and no complaints from my other half, only compliments on how much better it is to drive. Also has the h&r arbs.

I think it's very wheel/tyre dependant, running on 17" Devonports with the B14s approx 15-20 above the bottom I find the ride quite soft and would be fine with it firming up a bit. It may also be dependant on what you're used to in terms of other vehicles you have or have had?

Hmmm this is beginning to put me off B14s :(

Don't let it.
It's firm, but not uncomfortable. Well mine isn't uncomfortable anyway.

I drove @CALLAKN T6 when it was totally stock, simply because I hadn't driven one stock. I thought i'd get into his and it feel lovely and soft, but it felt totally wrong to me. Spongey, sloppy and very uninspiring, actually a little dangerous and loose at speed. B14s coupled with H&Rs tighten all this up, (assumably the wheel and tyre choice also plays a big part in this too) making it feel very car like. Mine is stiff yes, but I don't have a problem with that. The only thing that let's mine down is the seats don't have enough support to stop you moving around when you are messing about on the twists.

Last edited:
I guess the lower you have them, the less travel there will be so the firmer it will be. Ours is comfortable and controlled but not slammed so it depends what look you want.

B14 and 20s here (fully lowered) and I honestly wouldn’t class it as firm. It’s got less body roll on the corners now but I find the ride comfortable even on long canpervan journeys. Before I got the beemer I had an Audi A4 black edition and it was far harsher than my camper on B14s (main reason I sold the Audi)

So yeah I should of mentioned.. I am running 20's with a 275 35 all round..

I read on one post someone mentioning the 40-45's made a big difference.

As mentioned daily its fine. Its just when the family are on board.. My misses have a Golf GTI which is super firm and she moans about the Van being firmer.. I've increased the weight since they were first fitted, wonder if I need them setup again once i've finished my conversion.

What pressures are everyone running?

Should have mentioned im on 255/40 R20 tyres and I run them at 40 psi. Not sure if thats the correct pressure but couldnt find out what was. Wear seems to be even so I have stuck with it.

On my BMW I have 225/35/R20 front and 255/30/R20 rear and you definitely feel the bumps far more. Pot holes feel like craters!

My misses have a Golf GTI which is super firm and she moans about the Van being firmer..

Thats what Im worried about. I've just come from a Golf GTD (previously Audis) and want to get away from that firm suspension.

Thats what Im worried about. I've just come from a Golf GTD (previously Audis) and want to get away from that firm suspension.

I've got a MK7 Golf, and obviously this is far softer than my T6, same goes for my wife's Mini Cooper.
You should of mentioned it when I saw you, i'd of let you try mine.
Maybe your only route is air :eek:

Mine are 101XL which are correct for my T30. 101 gives 825kg per corner so 1650kg per axle

Perfect.. what tyres are you using?

I have Eagle F1's on mine.. Same as whats on my misses Golf actually.. lol

Perfect.. what tyres are you using?

I have Eagle F1's on mine.. Same as whats on my misses Golf actually.. lol
I use budget Jinyu tyres on the camper. The plan was to get me going with the cheap ones (I was converting the van at the time and budget tyres allowed me to purchase the other stuff I needed) and then switch to better tyres once they wear out but I havent had to change a tyre yet. For a budget tyre they have been great in the wet etc although I am not exactly thrashing the camper. My car though is a different matter and I have pirelli p zero run flats on it

I use budget Jinyu tyres on the camper. The plan was to get me going with the cheap ones (I was converting the van at the time and budget tyres allowed me to purchase the other stuff I needed) and then switch to better tyres once they wear out but I havent had to change a tyre yet. For a budget tyre they have been great in the wet etc although I am not exactly thrashing the camper. My car though is a different matter and I have pirelli p zero run flats on it

Yeah i'm thrashing mine... its a 300bhp go kart! lol.. (Just getting heavier by the minute!)

Might try some new rubber..

@BognorMotors Will 255/40 rub? Or try 275/40?

Yeah i'm thrashing mine... its a 300bhp go kart! lol.. (Just getting heavier by the minute!)

Might try some new rubber..

@BognorMotors Will 255/40 rub? Or try 275/40?
:) mine is only 140bhp with the weight of my conversion. My car is 375bhp though so definitely wouldn’t chance a budget tyre

I’m having the Eibach Adjustable comfort springs fitted on Wednesday with about a 40mm drop . I will keep you updated although I have already had a ride in a demo with them fitted and was very pleased .

Back