Ride Comfort - Standard DCC vs. Lowering coilovers (KW/B14 Komfort)

TWT6.1MV

Hi guys,

I have a brand new T6.1 Multivan 4Motion to be delivered later this month, equipped with DCC as standard. The van will mainly be a family hauler on weekends. Kids and parents. So the ride comfort is the top priority here. Does anyone have experience with both the standard DCC vs. lowering coilovers such as KW or B14 Komfort? How do they compare in terms of ride comfort?

Hi guys,

I have a brand new T6.1 Multivan 4Motion to be delivered later this month, equipped with DCC as standard. The van will mainly be a family hauler on weekends. Kids and parents. So the ride comfort is the top priority here. Does anyone have experience with both the standard DCC vs. lowering coilovers such as KW or B14 Komfort? How do they compare in terms of ride comfort?
Recommend you speak to Steve @CRS Performance he will advise on your options really knows his stuff :cool:

Hi guys,

you need to be cautious with a heavy van like this , a lot of the after market kits don’t have springs that can carry the weight at a decent drop. , they go too low and the ride is poor

I'm really interested in seeing how this thread develops. I bought an unmodified 2018 T6 SWB T32 Kombi but decided I wanted it lowering by 40mm and to soften the ride as it was very harsh over cats eyes, speed bumps, pot holes etc. The resounding response from asking around was "Bilstein B14 Komforts" so I went ahead and had these fitted by the company that supplied them. The component parts are:-

2x Front Komfort Coilover Struts
2x Front Eibach Pro Springs
2x Rear Komfort Dampers
2x Rear Adjusters
2x Rear Eibach Pro Springs

Looks-wise the result is great, just what I wanted. Ride-wise the result is awful. I was expecting a much softer ride to soak up the bumps but it's every bit as harsh as before, perhaps even a little worse - hard to tell. I spoke to the company who supplied and fitted it and the response was that if you lower the suspension, it's going to give a harsher ride by default. So I asked where does 'Komfort' come in? "That brings what would be a much harsher ride - due to the drop - up to a more acceptable/similar ride comfort to the original".

The van carries very little load - it has two seats at the front and only the two-seater bench at the back, with 12mm ply parcel shelf and wheel arch boxes, sound deadening, 6mm ply lining boards.

Have I a made an error going for the £1,400 B14 Komforts or am I simply wanting something that's not available i.e. a 40mm drop and a softer ride?

Would really appreciate some guidance on this. Thanks all.

I'm really interested in seeing how this thread develops. I bought an unmodified 2018 T6 SWB T32 Kombi but decided I wanted it lowering by 40mm and to soften the ride as it was very harsh over cats eyes, speed bumps, pot holes etc. The resounding response from asking around was "Bilstein B14 Komforts" so I went ahead and had these fitted by the company that supplied them. The component parts are:-

2x Rear Komfort Dampers
2x Rear Adjusters

Looks-wise the result is great, just what I wanted. Ride-wise the result is awful. I was expecting a much softer ride to soak up the bumps but it's every bit as harsh as before, perhaps even a little worse - hard to tell. I spoke to the company who supplied and fitted it and the response was that if you lower the suspension, it's going to give a harsher ride by default. So I asked where does 'Komfort' come in? "That brings what would be a much harsher ride - due to the drop - up to a more acceptable/similar ride comfort to the original".

The van carries very little load - it has two seats at the front and only the two-seater bench at the back, with 12mm ply parcel shelf and wheel arch boxes, sound deadening, 6mm ply lining boards.

Have I a made an error going for the £1,400 B14 Komforts or am I simply wanting something that's not available i.e. a 40mm drop and a softer ride?

oops .

Hi guys,

Bit late to answer this. We’ve removed a few factory DCC suspension kits in favour of coilivers on both Transporters and cars. I find the DCC never does any of the 3 settings well, just average. You can put a lowering springs on the DCC and have to recalibrate then with ODIS.

2x Rear Komfort Dampers
2x Rear Adjusters

What’s your full setup? Tyres, wheels and pressures?

Hi Oli - many thanks for your response but I've now found the perfect solution for my needs through CRS.
Hi nrgnet, I know it's an old thread, but i wondered if you could share how you solved the issue?

I have a similar aged SWB multivan, and am looking at various options as it is also crazy stiff and uncomfortable, although i have the factory fitted lowered suspension which seems may be the root of the problem, i don't know if you had it also..

At the moment the top suggestion is either Bilstein B14 Komforts, or the Twin-Adjust-Projekt Sensitiv Komfort Coilover Kit with the koni red shocks.

Looking at your feedback i'm nervous about either solution, and would really appreciate your input how you solved it?

Thanks!

Hi nrgnet, I know it's an old thread, but i wondered if you could share how you solved the issue?

I have a similar aged SWB multivan, and am looking at various options as it is also crazy stiff and uncomfortable, although i have the factory fitted lowered suspension which seems may be the root of the problem, i don't know if you had it also..

At the moment the top suggestion is either Bilstein B14 Komforts, or the Twin-Adjust-Projekt Sensitiv Komfort Coilover Kit with the koni red shocks.

Looking at your feedback i'm nervous about either solution, and would really appreciate your input how you solved it?

Thanks!
Hi - I've sent you a DM.
Hi nrgnet, any chance you could please share your solution this way as well please. Thanks in advance

Back