Awnings????????

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Anyone got a view, ie pro's and cons of having an awning fitted.....probably a Fiamma F45? Presumably, this means having bodywork drilled......which makes me nervous?!

Don't get the Thule Omnistor one that comes with the Cali ... it falls apart as soon as the sun comes out! Not really a problem in Scotland but a pain if you travel anywhere else!

Thule 5102

Don't get the Thule Omnistor one that comes with the Cali ... it falls apart as soon as the sun comes out! Not really a problem in Scotland but a pain if you travel anywhere else!

Thule 5102
Had no issues with our T5.1 Cali awning and we had that for three years.
We did have a rattle in our current one but it was sorted; it's been in some pretty intense Spanish sun.

We have the Fiamma F45s - works well and, as an added bonus, makes attachment of a drive away awning a lot easier (wind out a bit then wind back in to take up any slack). Haven't noticed any wind noise from it when driving but, as we have had from day one, nothing to compare to. We will be relying on the F45 for our winter camps and so far so good to provide a little bit of shelter when outside. At the moment I am a bit nervous about when to use and/or leave out, i.e. one weekend recently it was very windy (20+ mph) and, even with the tie down kits, I was still winding back in after using - it will probably be better when we see other, hopefully more experienced campervan owners, alongside us using similar and seeing what they do.

I'm thinking of going with a C rail fitted into the roof gutter - allows a permanent fixing but will be all but invisible where it is and also being a silver van.

I know the multi-rails do a lot of things, but I only want to be able to attach an awning or sun-shade.

We have the Fiamma F45s - works well and, as an added bonus, makes attachment of a drive away awning a lot easier (wind out a bit then wind back in to take up any slack). Haven't noticed any wind noise from it when driving but, as we have had from day one, nothing to compare to. We will be relying on the F45 for our winter camps and so far so good to provide a little bit of shelter when outside. At the moment I am a bit nervous about when to use and/or leave out, i.e. one weekend recently it was very windy (20+ mph) and, even with the tie down kits, I was still winding back in after using - it will probably be better when we see other, hopefully more experienced campervan owners, alongside us using similar and seeing what they do.
You're right to be cautious; a wind blown awning leg can do a lot of damage.
We use ours both for sun shade but also to keep that all important dryish area outside the sliding door when it's wet.

I reckon they are okay up until about a force 4 wind.

My recent research shows Johns Cross as being the cheapest supplier of Fiamma F45s awnings. Their service is good and quick, if you are also a member of 'Motorhome Fun' forum then there is a discount code available worth 10%.

Fiamma do a special length awning for SWB T5/6 or the 3m one will fit a LWB.

As above, don't leave an awning out in the wind or heavy rain,.I know to my cost earlier this year, our awning was trashed at Lavenham in June!

Rod

Reactions: Doc
You're right to be cautious; a wind blown awning leg can do a lot of damage.
We use ours both for sun shade but also to keep that all important dryish area outside the sliding door when it's wet.

I reckon they are okay up until about a force 4 wind.
We have brought the special plates that you put 4 extra pegs in for each leg plus the tie down kit that comes with massive pegs and springs - should help but I can't see us ever leaving it out unattended or overnight when the wind is forecast much above 10-15 mph.

How easy was it to take off? I'm considering taking ours off for the Winter. We use it loads when camping though.
Not that hard, lift the roof and you should see the two brackets that old the awning in place, it's just a matter of unbolting it. Sorry I have forgotten what type of heads they are but I think it's 6mm. You. Will need some steps and some help as it's awkward rather than really heavy,

Had no issues with our T5.1 Cali awning and we had that for three years.
We did have a rattle in our current one but it was sorted; it's been in some pretty intense Spanish sun.

The issue is with the fabric which bizarrely is made of two pieces glued together! It's fairly common for the glue to melt in hot sun and then it just splits apart.

Fiamma 45s here too, and the wife made the sides for it. Cracking piece of kit.
I am thinking of adding a sloping front wall made from a tarp; sew some beading to it to slot the top edge into the channel and then peg it at the floor - this would double up as an additional tie down kit.

The issue is with the fabric which bizarrely is made of two pieces glued together! It's fairly common for the glue to melt in hot sun and then it just splits apart.
We got up to 39.5 degrees and had a massive forest fire very near us! But I'll keep an eye on it; thanks!
Do you have a Cali? Are you the Stu I know off FB?

IMG_5551.JPG
I had mine taken off this week. Had one on my old Cali but never used it. Decided to order new one with it and then sell as they're 'only' £390 from VW when speccing up. Sold it for £520 last week.
Think the van looks so much better without it.
You can get pretty decent awnings for around £100 that do the same job but won't risk your van if wind kicks up and won't spoil the look of the van all year round for a few uses a year.

Got my tickets to the caravan and camping show at the NEC at end of Feb. Main intention is to identify the drive away awning that is beat suited to our needs.

Back