Auto Start Stop issues

lough90

Maintenance Supervisor - oil & gas
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Has anyone experienced any issues with their auto start stop function. A couple of time now when the van is warm and I pull up to a complete standstill and the engine stops, but when I dip the clutch or press the dash board button the engine does not restart and I end up having to start via the key.Normally by pressing the dash button the engine restarts. i fully appreciate the purpose and thought behind the system but it drives me mad and every time it does it i think to myself its going to destroy the starter or flywheel one day...

More worrying I pulled in to a lay-by the other day off the A1 [ to make a phone call - safety first ] as did the engine dies and the steering went very heavy:eek::eek::eek: and i coasted to a stop with my butt cheeks tightly nipped........

I’m weary of this now and have booked it in to the dealer to have a look and see what could possible be the issue but would appreciate any experiences anyone may have had with this system..

thanks

I have had the engine fail to start and hill assist not assist me once and not happened again since and that was a few months ago now
I have also had the engine cut before i was stationary but i was circa 3-5 mph and again only happened once a few months back so havent looked into it

I have had the same, it is a bit eager to engage whilst not completely stationary.

Mines the opposite.....at the moment, it barely cuts out at all......especially if the fan is on 1....let alone the higher settings!

Mines stupidly random, sometimes shuts down when the engine is clap cold, or doesn't cut in for ages, even when fully warm. It does my nut in when in town, so I'm getting in the habit of switching it off as soon as I start the engine. MPG is shite anyway, doubt stop start will make much difference.

You have to manually restart if the battery voltage gets to a certain level or if there is a certain load on the canbus network from lights and sensors etc. This can happen moments after stopping sometimes. I can do i motorway run and come to a stop and the engine will still run. Heating/aircon/regen/sub woofer level all play a part if it decides to work or not.

It depends on a few factors.

I personally like it alot. Certainly helps save the baby foxes that are with me in the traffic. Only issue i have the audio cuts out everytime it starts on my Alpine headunit. Its oviosuly not stop/start friendly.

Hi @RattyMcClelland I have a pioneer avic F77 with big amp and sub , never a problem with headunit cutting out , very surprised because I thought this might be a big problem with the blue motion . Evan at high SPL the audio seems stable when the engine restarts . Also noticed the LED lights don't dim and fade like the halogen units do when running plenty of bass levels .

Mines the opposite.....at the moment, it barely cuts out at all......especially if the fan is on 1....let alone the higher settings!
I think some of the problems might be sorted out when you have the soft wear update done. It's to do with the energy management system.

Is their a another new software update , i had an update about two months ago and the auto stop start is playing up more since this was done ? not sure what the first update covered of if the one are referring to?

I only know of the one update and that was released last year to do with power management but didnt think it was related to SS, i thought it was more based on power managment of control modules as some of them werent shutting down properly and causing vehicles that were parked up for a few days to get flat batteries

The problem with Start-Stop this time of year is the cold and the dark nights, the vehicle is using so much power with heater and lights etc. it tales a lot longer to charge the battery back to a state where SS is ready to cut in.

Only issue i have the audio cuts out everytime it starts on my Alpine headunit. Its oviosuly not stop/start friendly.

I've just had an Alpine installed and experiencing the same issue. The unit that came from VW did not cut out. Did you find a solution?

The problem with Start-Stop this time of year is the cold and the dark nights, the vehicle is using so much power with heater and lights etc. it tales a lot longer to charge the battery back to a state where SS is ready to cut in.
Suzuki have a ISG (Integrated Starter Generator) which uses energy recovery from wheels to charge a battery under passenger seat seat to drive the ISG and thus gives extra power boost needed but also used to restart the engine during stop start, it's so smooth and quiet you can hardly hear if kick in.

Hi @Pauly and @lough90
Just came across this thread, do you see a familiarity between this thread and the thread
(Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.)
You may well have the link for the answer to the nightmare of the problem that is driving me crazy, looking for a reason why this happens, and to stop me feeling as though I have bought a Lemon.

More worrying I pulled in to a lay-by the other day off the A1 [ to make a phone call - safety first ] as did the engine dies and the steering went very heavy:eek::eek::eek: and i coasted to a stop with my butt cheeks tightly nipped........
I have also had the engine cut before i was stationary but i was circa 3-5 mph and again only happened once a few months back so havent looked into it.

What are your thoughts guys, could it in some way be related to the level of charge in the battery?

Back