Auto start stop not working

baldgeezer

Hi all - first time T6 owner here (camper conversion) so not up to speed with the T6 idiosyncrasies so may ask silly questions for a while!

Got a 2017 highline and the auto start stop function never works. I’m not too fussed about it but in other vehicles it can be an indicator of a different underlying problem (eg doors not detected as closed etc). However in this case I can’t detect any other issues. Whenever we pull up at junctions, drop into neutral and put brakes on the “A” symbol in the dash appears and has a line through it. Manual says this means it is “not available”. I’ve tested in various conditions to make sure all pre-reqs are met, eg air con not demanding power etc.

Any ideas?

Hi all - first time T6 owner here (camper conversion) so not up to speed with the T6 idiosyncrasies so may ask silly questions for a while!

Got a 2017 highline and the auto start stop function never works. I’m not too fussed about it but in other vehicles it can be an indicator of a different underlying problem (eg doors not detected as closed etc). However in this case I can’t detect any other issues. Whenever we pull up at junctions, drop into neutral and put brakes on the “A” symbol in the dash appears and has a line through it. Manual says this means it is “not available”. I’ve tested in various conditions to make sure all pre-reqs are met, eg air con not demanding power etc.

Any ideas?
Is the van still on its original starter battery?
As it’s a camper conversion, what are the arrangements for charging the LB?
How old is the LB, what size /type is it?

I always switch it off when I start the van now, this is the first vehicle I have driven (2020 T6.1) with Start/Stop that has a time limit... what this means is that when sat at a junction for an extended period of time with Start/Stop active, you go to pull off and nothing... with a warning message that says "Start vehicle normally" (or something like that).

I believe it's possible to permanently disable the Start/Stop although I haven't done this myself.

The battery needs to be >80% SoC (State of Charge) for the S/S to work.
If you're doing short journeys only then the battery won't get to that SoC as each time you start it the level will drop. A nice long run should bring it up. Once at 80%+ the engine "Smarts" will monitor the SoC and use regenerative load on the engine when not under power (Coasting/Braking) to top the battery up towards 100%.

The S/S batteries only have a~3yr life as they get hammered. To replace the battery is quite expensive as any replacement will need to be coded to the vehicle (unless exactly the same) So the Van smarts can work out the capacity and charge it efficiently.

You can get a BM2 (under £30) - a Bluetooth device which sits on your battery that you can access with an App and see real time SoC info. Check out @Dellmassive - he's got some awesome threads (Dellmassive’s "How I Done It" blogs.)

(My Alternator packed up which lead to my battery not charging etc. so I had a steep learning curve)

G00Se

Auto stop-start will only function if the engine is up to working temperature, there are no significant electrical or mechanical loads (air on at max), and the battery is in good health and charged. If the battery is starting to fail, then you will find Stop-start is disabled.
As @G00seman suggests, get the battery checked, although if it’s the original, it is probable that it is approaching the end of its life. I replaced the battery on my 2017 Shuttle this year as it was on its way out.
Lots of information in this thread:

Thx all - we’re off on a long run to Cornwall at the weekend so will see what happens. Thinking about it I seem to recall that the charge mechanism on the leisure battery is configured to push to it after startup so that a short 15min idle in the morning is enough to charge it. So based on the above I think that is what is causing it - ie main battery needs longer run to get up to charge.

Will let you know what I find out!

There may be a device fitted to the start / stop button that allows the button to be turned off (retrofit)
The device if fitted will remember the last setting either on or off and revert to that setting once the van is started i.e. so you can switch off Start //stop whilst maintaining factory functionality if required.
Try pressing the switch once after starting the van, then see if the start stop works as intended.

I have same year and model of van and mines very intermittent I would even go as far to say I’m surprised when it does come on

Thx all - we’re off on a long run to Cornwall at the weekend so will see what happens. Thinking about it I seem to recall that the charge mechanism on the leisure battery is configured to push to it after startup so that a short 15min idle in the morning is enough to charge it. So based on the above I think that is what is causing it - ie main battery needs longer run to get up to charge.

Will let you know what I find out!
The priority on the charging system should be to charge the starter battery. If you have access to a mains battery charger, I'd suggest you charge the main (starter) battery fully. Then if the stop-start does operate, you will know that it is most likely that battery that is approaching the end of its life.

The priority on the charging system should be to charge the starter battery. If you have access to a mains battery charger, I'd suggest you charge the main (starter) battery fully. Then if the stop-start does operate, you will know that it is most likely that battery that is approaching the end of its life.
So after speaking to the conversion company turns out they disable the start/stop due to the large load it drops onto the electrics when it starts the vehicle - apparently a lot more than normal startup from ignition? They said it’s been known to blow the 30amp fuses.

Also - the charging system does in fact test starter battery to determine if it has good charge before redirecting power to charge the leisure battery.

Back