Anyone in the know at VW?

dubber36

In a place that few understand
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've read the whole Internet, but can't find an answer. My 2021 Tiguan was recalled for CU20, which I'm told is something to do with adding a zip tie to the fuel level sender wiring.

Since filling the fuel tank, I've noticed diesel leaking from under the car. I've not been under it to pin point exactly where it's leaking from, but could something associated with the recall work not have been put back/tightened properly?

I'd like to be as properly informed as I can be when I call the dealers.

Could well have been, if your handy enough.. may be quicker to remove the passenger side rear seat, as this is the side that has the Cable tie fitted around the pipes inside the tank.

The seat base cushion pull up / off with a good pull, exposing the bolts for the Lower seat frame.
There is a connector under the kick trim between the door /seat that needs disconnecting and the rear upright has a cable fixed under the seat.
Once these are removed / disconnected, the seat can be removed, and the fuel pump is under the carpet.

I've personally come across a couple that haven't been fitted quite right, and leak with a full tank or if the dealer hasn't replaced the pump seal.

Thank you @Phil_j89 are you a VW tech or similar then? Have you got access to the procedure that they should have carried out?

Thank you @Phil_j89 are you a VW tech or similar then? Have you got access to the procedure that they should have carried out?
I am a tech, yes.

I do have access, but probably best not to be giving it out if I’m honest.

Which part do you need more info on?

I need to know what the procedure of the recall involves. I was told it was to add a cable tie to the wiring to the fuel level sender. This could only be done with no more than 3/4 of a tank of fuel, so I assume that means going inside the tank through the access hole at the top. Is there a fuel return pipe into there too?

It is to add a cable tie to the pipe work that goes from one pump to the other, the hose can stop the level sender going up and down correctly, giving an incorrect fuel level reading.

The pipes are cable tied together with the fuel pump on the n/s lifted up out of the way..
Which means the lid needs to come off, so as said, they’ve either not replaced the seal or it’s not been tightened / fitted correct.

The only way to be sure is to remove the passenger rear seat and physically check, as you can’t see from below the car.

Another hi-tech solution from VW then.
I’ve just been on the Golf GTi forum reading about how I need to cable tie the bonnet release cable junction box when I pick my car up next week.

• Sad
Reactions: Bav
Thanks for that Phil. I'll pop the seat out tomorrow and hopefully I'll see what's amiss so that I can send them a photo to avoid any fob offs.

It was indeed an incorrectly refitted seal on the fuel tank lid.

Back