Anyone able to ID this set up for me?

Phill748

Hi, I’m trying to get to the bottom of the Audio setup in my T6 with discovery media headinit.

Starting at the back of the van I have some Hifi speaker leads that run off under the trim and work, I’ve plugged speakers in and they work. I’ve also got in the middle of the van a set of leads for a sub/amp, 2 phono and power. I assumed this was a sub connection rather than rear speakers as the rear speaker wires don’t then join back up with this.

Looking at the back of the head unit I’ve got the attached, now I assume it’s a lead to RCA converter box, does anyone know what make? It appears to have some adjustment on it? The other confusing thing, is whether this is coming from the rear speaker feed on the head unit (all pins are used on tbe connector into the head unit) or whether it’s doing something to create a low pass channel? For sub? It’s connecting into the grey/black wires and then into the vehicle section of wiring only 4 connections (the front speakers) connect in.

So I would appreciate best guesses at how it’s been configured?

Do you think the rear speaker leads I have, have just been spliced into the factory wiring loom with the fronts? Ie super dodgy way to do it, and then the previous owner had a beefy set of rear speakers running off the amp?

I’ve attached some pictures. I’ve been looking around various upgrade threads so have an idea how people typical add the rear speaker wires but haven’t seen this loom before
05109059-0849-47B4-970B-FBEC9E80F633.jpeg13CD8994-F9D4-47BF-98F6-A929E0BCF57B.jpeg
1EDF89DE-F730-4E6A-88BA-9B35A2159176.jpeg
48113094-B515-4351-A849-1B0BFAC61297.jpeg

thats a line level adapter to give you twin phonos to run a sub.

you buy the leads pre-made so the are plug and play.

follow the phono cable to see if there is an old amp/sub position. - normally under the seat.

here is an example . . T6 Pre Out cale / plug and play. - VW T6 Preout Cable

Product Description​

This plug & play adaptor is built in house specifically to allow you to add an amplifier to your factory fitted T6 stereo. simply plug it in and you have a pre out and an automatically generated 12v remote turn on wire.

We also do a version 2 of this interface which also allows rear speaker to be added to your factory stereo.

1641470895139.png

more info here:

AUDIO:

these adjustment are for the gain on the RCA Pre-out unit.

1641470970008.png

the rear speakers are normally connected to the Radio direct.

look in the radios menu to see if you have the FRONT/REAR fader available.

if you dio itsa an indication that the radio is detecting speakers on the rear channels.

the RCA is normally for the under seat sub setup.

Thanks for this, I've been researching also in the background, I do indeed have a set of cables (power, remote, RCA) appearing at the rear of the side sliding door so I can move this to an under seat sub set up.

I have previously connected rear speakers but they were Hi-Fi ones, just to see if the leads were live, I realise the impedance will have have been incorrect, and no the fader options didn't work on the head unit, but could have been impedance related? or indeed not activated in the VCDS.

In terms of the connections for the rear speakers, will this 'loom' have effectively added the rear speaker pins in as part of it pulling out the RCA's for SUB? obv the standard method of checking for the missing pins in the standard wiring and adding them in doesn't seem to apply as in terms of what's coming out the head unit, every pin is used. I'll add another couple of pics.

71F3A399-C6E4-4485-8555-069633556B6A.jpeg

This is the ‘head unit block connector’ so all connections are populated’

1771E54E-4AA5-4552-88F5-A96CE8EFB76C.jpeg

However only two pairs go into the block connector for the connection into the T6 loom, so the rear speaker leads (not the RC) must come back out of that same sub splice in the loom?

2414B078-E834-470E-A7D5-C35C5679526E.jpeg

you will have to unwrap the pre-made loom to see how in conected. (like i did)

the radio will have all 4 channels . .

if its a standard van with no rear speakers . . . the OEM loom will NOT have the rear cables . .

this is where the pre-made looms come in.

they sit inbetween the radio and OEM loom, they add it extra rear cables so you can run them to the back.

as to where the RCA pre-out is conected . . . it could be either the front or rear.

on my mini amp cable below. . . all 4 are conected as its a 4x chanel amp.
1641472068762.png

but i also have a second cable that just has the rear speaker cables connected . .

like this one . . . - VW T 6 and T 6.1 Rear Speaker Loom

Product Description​

This plug and play harness allows rear speakers to be added to your factory fitted vw stereo.

The harness is fitted with sufficient wire to reach the back of your T 6 or T 6.1

WE OFFER A REAR SPEAKER AND FADER ACTIVATION SERVICE IN OUR WORKSHOP

1641473366614.png

Back