Air or poled awnings?

I do mine on my own whilst my wife makes a cup of tea, i usually finish before her!
Sorry a little off topic but i am looking for a awning and also a poptop, i noticed that the poptop on the van looks super sturdy, anyone know what make of poptop that is? thanks Daniel

Sorry a little off topic but i am looking for a awning and also a poptop, i noticed that the poptop on the van looks super sturdy, anyone know what make of poptop that is? thanks Daniel
Looks like a Cali electric roof. Nowt but trouble.

Never had an awning for my van but always had poled awnings for my caravan due to not being able to erect an air awning on unflat ground in a way that it is level with the caravan.

Guessing that this isn't an issue with a camper van as unlikely to be on especially unlevel ground, so thinking of air. Especially given that I'm now more worried about scratching my lovely van!

haha ok good to know! thanks - guess i will go with a skyline unless you would recommend otherwise :)
cheers
We have a Reimo easy fit. Very happy with it, it’s the only poptop I have experience of, so can’t comment on others…apart from the Cali electric ones….

Went for a cheap ish out well polo awning.. see how I get on and how much use it gets :) thanks for the info though appreciated

Thanks
Daniel

Having owned caravan awnings for over 10 years I have witnessed nightmares with pole awnings such as poles embedded in the side of vans to whole awnings being wrapped around vans hence severe pole damage.

With air awnings if they do get damaged the air bladders can be repaired and should they come loose there is no pole to damage your van.

I have been in my awning at 3am watching it in a 65mph gale, it hardly moved but when it did it then popped back to its standard form.

Yes they are more expensive but if you buy a good make you get what you pay for.

Having owned caravan awnings for over 10 years I have witnessed nightmares with pole awnings such as poles embedded in the side of vans to whole awnings being wrapped around vans hence severe pole damage.

With air awnings if they do get damaged the air bladders can be repaired and should they come loose there is no pole to damage your van.

I have been in my awning at 3am watching it in a 65mph gale, it hardly moved but when it did it then popped back to its standard form.

Yes they are more expensive but if you buy a good make you get what you pay for.
Oouuff got me worried now lol

Yup, our Dorema had pressure relief valves fitted. The instructions were to keep pumping until the PR valve started to bleed off.
Snap on our Dorema, Dorema acquired Kampa who were at the top of the Air awning game when they were acquired.

I refer to our caravan air awning as the “divorce avoider” …. I can put it up single-handedly and avoid snappy arguments after a long drive!

I refer to our caravan air awning as the “divorce avoider” …. I can put it up single-handedly and avoid snappy arguments after a long drive!
Surprisingly that was the main reason to switch to air in the first place. Set the scene, arrived onsite to torrential rain and wind, muggins gets on with the awning whilst said girls sit in the van watching TV. Me, drowned as a rat, well and truly run out of swear words finishes putting the awning up only to have to start all over in the morning. Air awning was ordered for 2 day delivery to site that same day. Never looked back since :mad::oops:

Surprisingly that was the main reason to switch to air in the first place. Set the scene, arrived onsite to torrential rain and wind, muggins gets on with the awning whilst said girls sit in the van watching TV. Me, drowned as a rat, well and truly run out of swear words finishes putting the awning up only to have to start all over in the morning. Air awning was ordered for 2 day delivery to site that same day. Never looked back since :mad::oops:
now your making me think I made the wrong decision in getting a pole one version haha.. oh well if i hate , will sell and get a air one lol
What I would say is make sure you have sturdy awning pegs, the plastic ones are useless.

There are pegs that are manufactured from re bar, see image. These are amazing and they drive through anything.

View attachment 158164
Purchased and on route, thanks for the heads up!

Cheers

Daniel

now your making me think I made the wrong decision in getting a pole one version haha.. oh well if i hate , will sell and get a air one lol

Purchased and on route, thanks for the heads up!

Cheers

Daniel
If you do sell the used awning the market is mad, just sold my twice used air porch awning for the same money I paid for it two years ago.

Back