Aftermarket Head Unit Question

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
I'm specing up a new vehicle and don't want to waste money on the discover media Nav system as I plan to put an Alpine X802D in it.

So the vehicle will be supplied with the basic Composition colour radio; 5" touch screen as standard.

My question is the standard unit has no Sat Nav but the Alpine will... So where would be the best place to fit the GPS aerial...? Where do VW fit it when specing the discover media system..?

I also can't see if the basic 5" composition head unit has DAB, would of thought it would..?? but if not then same question would apply to DAB aerial.

Any help / advice appreciated

Thanks

VW pit all aerials in the wing mirrors but you won’t be missing much the dab aerial/signal is notoriously poor and the gps antenna just needs line of sight so can go anywhere around the dash

Vw stick the gps in the drivers mirror, and in most cases they are in there even though it hasn’t been specced.... they just don’t extend it into the cab..

If it’s a Kombie then it will have dab, again in the mirror, the shuttles don’t tend to have it unless it’s ordered with it, all you need it a adapter

All easy stuff

We can supply everything thing that is required

Any reason you are after the 802?

Thanks Pauly,

So if the VW OEM aerials provide poor reception, is there a preferred option / supplier of a better quality aerial.

Thanks Absolut5. I may well pay you a visit in due course for the work...

T6 panel van being the vehicle.

I really like the Alpine units, and have had Alpine in the past and always found them to be good... The 802 looks decent... but I don't have first hand experience of that model...

Why..? What is the general consensus on the Alpine's..?

Last edited:
Alpine do build quality products, sounds great too.

But the new Kenwood DNX 9190dab which replaced the superb 9180dab is superior in many areas, it’s super fast operation with no lag, instant nav boot up (after initial bootup) makes all others look and feel slow,
The hd screen is the best by far, easier to use, twin usb instead of single, built in cd/dvd/SD and has wireless CarPlay...

And ultra reliable kit

If you are not having a pop top them go for a roof aerial as the standard aerials are poor

Thanks for the info, I will look into the kenwood as a possible alternative.

Yes, pop top being fitted, so will need one of the better standard aerials...

I read somewhere some people fit boosters to internal aerials... Not sure if this would help improve the signal strength..

Thanks for the info, I will look into the kenwood as a possible alternative.

Yes, pop top being fitted, so will need one of the better standard aerials...

I read somewhere some people fit boosters to internal aerials... Not sure if this would help improve the signal strength..

I’m afraid you will be stuck with the Oe aerials, unless you are prepared to drill a hole in the pop top.

No you cannot amp the original aerials, as they are already amped

Have a look into radio apps, I use them in my own T6, and Get a lot better Performance where I drive 60 miles a day...

Alpine do build quality products, sounds great too.

But the new Kenwood DNX 9190dab which replaced the superb 9180dab is superior in many areas, it’s super fast operation with no lag, instant nav boot up (after initial bootup) makes all others look and feel slow,
The hd screen is the best by far, easier to use, twin usb instead of single, built in cd/dvd/SD and has wireless CarPlay...

And ultra reliable kit

If you are not having a pop top them go for a roof aerial as the standard aerials are poor

Hi Jason

Please pm me
I'm possibly interested in a swap my alpine for one of these Kenwood DNX 9190dab as you rate them so highly

@JasonW for info i fitted a magnetic aerial at the back of the van, sits just behind the poptop and clears both the boot lid and the poptop when both up. This was the best way i could get things to work as otherwise its tricky with a poptop..

our cable enters in through the SCA velcro at the back which is under the roof overhang so no issues of water ingress.

For our GPS, i put the aerial in the dash underneath the try thingy in the middle. never had an issue.

let me know if you want more info.

I have the Alpine 802 and find it ok. Nice big screen, but I am on my second one. The first was rubbish, the 2nd better. However I replaced the VW aerial with a sharkfin (rather Jason did) and much better now.

Few irks on the alpine. Fiddly volume buttons the main one. I only ever use carplay now, never bother with the built in sat nav. Drove from Cornwall to Sussex last night and no DAB dropouts. No 'pinch to zoom' functionality, would consider upgrading mine to something with wireless carplay and dual USB etc. Could be useful.

I have the Alpine 802 and find it ok. Nice big screen, but I am on my second one. The first was rubbish, the 2nd better. However I replaced the VW aerial with a sharkfin (rather Jason did) and much better now.

Few irks on the alpine. Fiddly volume buttons the main one. I only ever use carplay now, never bother with the built in sat nav. Drove from Cornwall to Sussex last night and no DAB dropouts. No 'pinch to zoom' functionality, would consider upgrading mine to something with wireless carplay and dual USB etc. Could be useful.

The 802 is a great looker, and sounds great but the Kenwoods beats it hands down everywhere else, twin usb/wireless CarPlay/superb hd screen, Garmin nav with 3 years updates, cd/dvd,SD and Kenwood dash cam option

Back