Advice on filling in holes on roof

Frosty1979

Hi,
We've recently bought an ex RAC T6 and are slowly starting to convert it. We are doing some of the labour intensive work, like stripping it out and applying insulation, while a local company does some of the more skilled work.
With it being an ex RAC van there are several holes in the roof, presumably from where lights and similar were mounted on the roof. What is the best way to seal or cap these off? Currently there is just some clear silicone in the holes which I'm not sure is a permanent fix.

These are the best I can get at the moment with a 5p for comparison. A few of them still have some of the original fittings in filled with silicone. Also apologies for the dirty first photo, it needs a clean!
PXL_20220814_195550693.jpgPXL_20220814_195657063.jpgPXL_20220814_195817311.jpg

The 20mm black stuffing glands can be removed and a 20mm PVC blind grommet put in its place each time, obviously a bit of propriety sealant applied at the same time too as the grommets are only push fit.
You'll still have a hole through the roof and the PVC grommets won't take paint but will be a lot more flush so less likely to be spotted by really tall nitpickers!

If that's a 5p, then its probably a 16mm stuffing gland? either way, a suitably sized blind grommet will do the job. With the smaller holes, a stainless button head bolt of a the correct dia with a nut in the van would tidy it up nicely

Maybe something like these with a bit of clear silicone sealant to add waterproofing until you can decide what to do next.
Or these..
You might even be able to find some Orange Nylon mushroom head bolts..

Last edited:

Remove all the bits going through the roof and use something like the above on the underside then a quick sand, fill and rattle can on top would be easy enough given its out of the way and a flat colour.

Last edited:
If using grommets I’d be inclined to use PU adhesive (bit like the stuff used to stick windows in with) as a bit more permanent than silicon.

Stainless bolts stuck in with the same stuff is another good idea. Flange head bolts have a bigger head size so will give more sealing area.

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and links. Tempted to go down what seems a more permanent fix with the fibreglass kit and some paint, how hard can it be !

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and links. Tempted to go down what seems a more permanent fix with the fibreglass kit and some paint, how hard can it be !
It wouldn't necessarily have to be the fibreglass kit just some backing for a bit of filler, that just struck me as the best on a cost to performance scale.

I just used 9.7 mm grommets for the two small holes and 19.05mm for the 5 bigger holes.
I’m getting a pop top fitted in march but unfortunately it’s still going to have these when the roof is cut.
My van is also getting a full respray in jan so I’ll remove the bungs so that the edges are painted.

I used a stepper drill but for a neat hole. As pictures. B45A666E-22D0-4E72-A91A-B597776D0B1A.jpeg5D3124A9-0892-4D88-A571-6D8A7B73BF7F.jpegF7AB88D1-795E-4E4C-916F-F75445B463FF.jpeg

I just used 9.7 mm grommets for the two small holes and 19.05mm for the 5 bigger holes.
I’m getting a pop top fitted in march but unfortunately it’s still going to have these when the roof is cut.
My van is also getting a full respray in jan so I’ll remove the bungs so that the edges are painted.

I used a stepper drill but for a neat hole. As pictures. View attachment 181799View attachment 181800View attachment 181801

I used a stepper drill but for a neat hole. As pictures. View attachment 181799View attachment 181800View attachment 181801
Hi, just wondering where you bought these grommets from. Just in the process of trying to fill exactly the same holes on mine.

Back