Advice on campervan electric system please

Swoop1

Hi im looking for some advice/reassurance Im fitting my electrics next month and wanted to to see what you guys think of the complete system from simply split charge is it any good and is it a good price ? Its Victron so I think a good make but I’m wondering if there is a better deal/package I could buy as I’m not to clued up on electrics and even though I’ve looked at various threads/vids I’m still not 100% any advice is appreciated the system I’m looking at is this
I’m looking at starting of with a normal acid battery but then upgrading to lithium at a later date and think this will be fine on that score.
thanks again

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

As always the common information to answer question like this is:
  • What type and generation of van do you have - if you have a stop/start system or smart alternator is the important fact
  • How are you intending to use the electrics - quick weekends away in the summer on EHU is very different from a week off grid in the autumn

Hi knew I forgot something sorry I have a t6 with start stop so smart alternator and as for use I will mostly be using the 240v hook up but want the reassurance that if the site is a stop over and has no EHU available can still make a cup of tea ect can’t really see me doing much of grid stops tbh

That looks like a competent kit for a smart alternator van, the Victron units are popular choices.

Some thoughts:

If you want to make tea off grid I assume you will use the gas hob. You'd need an inverter included to run a mains kettle and it would use a huge amount of energy - the added expense and complexity isn't really worth it for the occasional use.

If you are investing I'd really recommend going lithium at the start. The batteries will have near twice the usable capacity of AGM (of the same nominal capacity) and are physically smaller (for the same capacity)

If you don't go lithium now make sure the kit includes the high current chargers - the text does but the pictures look like the lower rated versions.

I would also consider if you can waiting to see what the replacement Victron DC-DC charger looks like, it's more expensive but is a lot smaller and more efficient, which helps keep the heat down and makes placement easier.

Back