Planning electrics - location of all the parts - specifically inverters

You'll also note I've gone back and edited the original post to save confusion.

I'm likewise wary of high current. My rule of thumb is anything crossing the 30amp boundary deserves respect and decent tools.

My error was moving from an illustration of another dimension to consider than just physical space to a concrete example without checking the other factors. I blame the lack of coffee because I should have noticed.

Reactions: EAN
simple golden rules, (not scientific, but good fag packet maths thats easy to grasp)

+++

100ah worth of battery capacity for every 1000w of inverter power,

100A worth of current draw per 1000W of inverter power draw
over spec the the inverter power by 25-50% for a long life expectancy.

my own bonus advice - don't buy cheap unbranded rubbish kit, stick with known brands, especially when it comes to lithium batteries.

+++

so for the example:

2kw induction hob will need a 2-3kw inverter

a 2kw inverter will need two 100ah lifepo4s ( or 200ah worth or more)

a 2kw inverter can pull 200A - so cable rate for that. (when battery voltage goes down, current goes up)

++++++++++

why 200A, well a low lithium cut off is normally 10v, if you let the battery drop low, and pull a 2kw load you will draw and the battery drops to 10v you will be pulling 200A

w=v*a

2000w/10v = 200A

2000w/11v = 182A
2000w/12v = 167A
2000w/13v = 154A

FWIW - nearly all modern lifepo4 batts now have decent BMS that will deal with LVD - Low Voltage Disconnect. around 10v

++++++++++

I've had it loads of times now when long camping . . the wife gets up and puts on the coffee machine and kettle, pulls a massive loads, drops that last 10% of battery power then pop. . . BMS cuts out battery and we left with now power. (reason: not enough solar over a long stay to fully recharge battery bank - net effect gradual SoC% decline over 3+ days)

Thanks to all the contributions so far.

But so far no posts from forum members who have an inverter setup with details (and photos) of where all the bits are located. :(

take a look here:

1703236317851.png1703236357963.png1703236338691.png1703236377110.png

Thanks to all the contributions so far.

But so far no posts from forum members who have an inverter setup with details (and photos) of where all the bits are located. :(
Aye! sorry about that, I got distracted answering a question that you hadn't asked:geek:. Our inverter is mounted in the void over the driver's side rear wheel arch. We have full camper furniture fitted, so the inverter is fixed to the underside of the cupboard that sits over the wheel arch. The battery is under the passenger seat. We have a single dedicated socket that runs off the inverter. Can't get any photos of the inverter as it needs the cupboard floor removing to get access. It's a relatively long cable run from battery to inverter, we used 50mm2 cables for the run.

Aye! sorry about that, I got distracted answering a question that you hadn't asked:geek:. Our inverter is mounted in the void over the driver's side rear wheel arch. We have full camper furniture fitted, so the inverter is fixed to the underside of the cupboard that sits over the wheel arch. The battery is under the passenger seat. We have a single dedicated socket that runs off the inverter. Can't get any photos of the inverter as it needs the cupboard floor removing to get access. It's a relatively long cable run from battery to inverter, we used 50mm2 cables for the run.
Thanks. What size inverter please?

Back