Advice needed VW dealer. Cambelt dilemma..

sipep

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all.

I've just purchased a T6 from a VW branch.

33k miles.
Highline

I wanted to get a cambelt as part of the purchase, as I am still on the mindset of 5 years.. they will offer a cambelt change for £599 instead of the £699.

I could go a local garage and I think they would charge £370-£400 but I would have to take the local garage word that they will use VW parts.

I am paying £21500 for the van, it's a huge amount of money.. even though the dealer is saying it doesn't need a cambelt under these new rules..

I just wanted other peoples advice.. what would you do?

Thanks
Karl

You could spend the money on the ’All-in plan’ instead?
Loads of information if you search.

You could spend the money on the ’All-in plan’ instead?
Loads of information if you search.
Thank you, the plan look good, but . There is no cover for damage for premature cambelt failure.

Hi all.

I've just purchased a T6 from a VW branch.

33k miles.
Highline

I wanted to get a cambelt as part of the purchase, as I am still on the mindset of 5 years.. they will offer a cambelt change for £599 instead of the £699.

I could go a local garage and I think they would charge £370-£400 but I would have to take the local garage word that they will use VW parts.

I am paying £21500 for the van, it's a huge amount of money.. even though the dealer is saying it doesn't need a cambelt under these new rules..

I just wanted other peoples advice.. what would you do?

Thanks
Karl
It doesn’t need a new timing belt, spend the money on diesel and go and enjoy your van.

Before rule change i priced up the local garage option which, if I insisted on genuine parts, was not far off main dealer cost. Their other price was similar to yours but aftermarket spares

When I bought my van from VW it was 3 years old with 95k on it. That was when they were still saying 80k for the belt.
They wanted to charge me for the belt so I said “you sell the van with a 12month all component warranty, so if I drive out of here and the cam belt snaps who pays for the engine because you’re trying to sell me a van that voids the warranty that you provide.”
Answer ‘can you pick it up on Friday and we’ll do the belt this week?’ For free!!
So if it’s nearly 6 years old doesn’t it need the belt doing?

It's very a catch 22 situation... I've spoken to a few local garages whom say get it done.. saying that most of the time it's not the belt.. it's the water pump , he did mention something else that breaks.. pullies or something..

It's very a catch 22 situation... I've spoken to a few local garages whom say get it done.. saying that most of the time it's not the belt.. it's the water pump , he did mention something else that breaks.. pullies or something..
It’s the shrouded type pump that fails, older T6 have a non shrouded pump. As far as I’m aware there is no reason why the non shrouded pump can’t be installed on later models. Have a Search

The are many garages that would say ‘get it done’, they don’t make money by turning business away.

It’s the shrouded type pump that fails, older T6 have a non shrouded pump. As far as I’m aware there is no reason why the non shrouded pump can’t be installed on later models. Have a Search

The are many garages that would say ‘get it done’, they don’t make money by turning business away.
How do I find out which water pump I have?

Worth a try but I would imagine there is something in their small print that allows retrospective changes to the servicing regime etc

Back