Additional Keys - can I go elsewhere other than VW?

For a 6.1 I understand from Timpsons that they can do it - £186 if I put my reg online and well what is the worst that happens? You pay they don't deliver a working key and you get a refund!

Main dealer is circa £280 with a few weeks leadtime if you are in the UK for key to be delivered from Germany or a couple of days if you are in Europe (I've 2 extra keys one cut in UK and one in Europe so have experienced both)

As an option.

A surf key can be cut at most local key place.

But can't be used to start the van or blip the doors open..... just door access via key barrel.

If you do a surf key just make sure you’re lock barrel actually works!! (My 6.1 doesn’t). See another thread…

My experience with my T6.1 was that Timpsons couldn't do it. A coded key was only available from a main dealer; it took about a month or so for the key to arrive from VW in Germany and the dealer needed the van at the workshop to code the key to the van. Not cheap but at least I now have a fully functional spare key. Never the less, l keep an Airtag on the key ring... just in case :eek:

Hi, in need of a second key- just in cases- Without paying dealership prices how have you done this? Tia

As an option.

A surf key can be cut at most local key place.

But can't be used to start the van or blip the doors open..... just door access via key barrel.

@Aliceincamperland

If you're attending Busfest, there is a company there that can cut a surf key for you.
He did mine last year - just make sure it works afterwards!!

Can general locksmiths cut keys for T6 locks, that is, just the metal key part without the coding bit?

Yesterday, at a campsite, I was in the campervan with the side door open and it started to rain. I used the fob 'lock' button to close the front windows then put the key on a shelf. I then went to leave the van and pulled the side door almost closed. It slid a bit too far and just caught on the lock but still ajar.
Fortunately, I had left the other key with the campsite owner....
If I can get just the key part cut, I can hide it on the outside of the van 'just in case I have another senior moment'....
Thanks. Andy.

Can general locksmiths cut keys for T6 locks, that is, just the metal key part without the coding bit?

Yesterday, at a campsite, I was in the campervan with the side door open and it started to rain. I used the fob 'lock' button to close the front windows then put the key on a shelf. I then went to leave the van and pulled the side door almost closed. It slid a bit too far and just caught on the lock but still ajar.
Fortunately, I had left the other key with the campsite owner....
If I can get just the key part cut, I can hide it on the outside of the van 'just in case I have another senior moment'....
Thanks. Andy.
‘Tis a much discussed topic, try searching for “surf key

A question on the key for a 2021 T6.1.

I've purchased a used genuine key fob - the same part number as my original keys. If I took this to VW, are they able to programme the used key to my van? I'll get a new blade cut first first.

Last edited:
Back