Adding footwell lighting

Last time I was in Thirsk I stayed in one of the pubs, great place with great roads too :thumbsup:

Yeah picked up two sets and it was quite simple to do, the fronts are wired independently, as the feed is behind the glove box just route a feed and earth over to the drivers side, you can do it all behind the lower dash so it's out the way. Passenger side is straight forward so no need to explain.

Rears again from the same feed behind glove box this time route the cable under the rubber floor or carpet, I found it easy to take the passenger step off to help access. Under each front seats there's a slot where a load of harness comes through so I came through that to passenger seat base, from that it's an easy route straight across to the drivers seat under the floor.

The only thing I can say, the lower dash in the front ready has pre punched cut outs, they come out easily with a knife, when you do though, before you fit the light, make a bloody template out of cardboard for the rears, I didn't which slowed me down. For the rears mark it up, drill the 4 corners with a small, (2mm or so) drill and I used a multiool to cut the edges, do it all from the outside in and the finish is nice not that you'll see it with the light fitted but I'm weird :D

Does that help so far?
Okay @RedUn.....so are you saying that only the glove box, or in my case sh*t pointless cubby hole needs to come out to access the feed? How would I know which one is the feed.....is it plug and play? Not sure what you mean about the fronts being wired independently.....independently from each other or independent from the rears? Do both sets not use the same feed? Is the earthing point obvious? Did the step lift out without having to remove the rubber seal around the door aperture? Aaaaargh.....lots of questions mate.....you might have guessed, I'm not an auto electrician!! I'd just prefer not to reduce my van to a smoldering blob if I can help it!!:whistle:

Okay @RedUn.....so are you saying that only the glove box, or in my case sh*t pointless cubby hole needs to come out to access the feed? How would I know which one is the feed.....is it plug and play? Not sure what you mean about the fronts being wired independently.....independently from each other or independent from the rears? Do both sets not use the same feed? Is the earthing point obvious? Did the step lift out without having to remove the rubber seal around the door aperture? Aaaaargh.....lots of questions mate.....you might have guessed, I'm not an auto electrician!! I'd just prefer not to reduce my van to a smoldering blob if I can help it!!:whistle:
Sorry for the slow reply!

Yup, just drop the cubby hole down and the wiring is behind there on the left.

The feed is easy to identify, it's a blue/grey wire in the red plug, there's only one.

You just tap into it using a posi tap or a scotch lock and that's your power sorted.

For the return you can ground on a stud or one of these clever lot will let you know which wire you can use for that if you prefer, the stud is in the footwell, there's only one you can't miss it.

Then you'll have you two leads, I put these into a dc to dc buck convertor to allow me to drop the voltage / brightness and then the output of this is what I used to power all 4 lights.

Run one set of wires to drivers footwell from there, one set to the passenger and then one set to the passengers seat base, from there split that for the two rears.

You don't need to mess with the door seal to get the step out, it's fiddly but not too bad.

Hope that helps, if not give me a ring if you want, pm me you number.

I'm no expert, just did what worked for me :thumbsup:

@RedUn.....apologies mate! I've been busy doing my bathroom before my children descend on me from Australia for Christmas! Thanks for the guidance.....I've a feeling I'll be in touch in the new year! I take it you were happy with the quality of the lights you bought??:thumbsup:

No worries at all! The lights are spot on, no complaints here :cool:

Had these beauties arrive today, I’ll fit them in Jan along with the rest of the new toys waiting for me on return from work. Got them for £30 from
Travelin-Lite with free plastic trim kit as well.

9AB537E3-ADB3-4434-97D1-6FF1821EDEE0.jpeg

E39B0984-699D-43C7-BE9D-8C5E1D16A73C.jpeg

F68A64B0-DDBA-46FB-B888-F83B4C3E0A4C.jpeg

I am in the process of adding footwell lights to my van and seems like its pretty easy to do, im looking at making up some plugs/cables to make it plug and play with no wire cutting/joining just factory connectors for everything.
Wondering if this would interest anyone else as before i fit it to my van and test it out properly i could measure the cabling to replicate the wiring ?
Wont be cheap as using all genuine VW parts ie lights and connectors etc will be about £50 for a kit

Hi @Pauly, have sent you a message about a footwell kit at e v end of last week. Not sure if I’ve sent it properly?
Cheers
Matt

Fitting footwell lights
And want to tap into to gray/blue wire on the back of the headlight switch so it’s on the dimmer
Do I connect both the wires from the footwell lights travel in lite kit to the gray/blue wire ?
Any advice would be great as not to great with this

Fitting footwell lights
And want to tap into to gray/blue wire on the back of the headlight switch so it’s on the dimmer
Do I connect both the wires from the footwell lights travel in lite kit to the gray/blue wire ?
Yes, using the pose taps. Also a tip when feeding the drivers side footwell light through, wrap the wire in celloptape/masking tape so it doesn't have as much flex and you can feed it through as rod.

Fitting footwell lights

One wire to the grey/blue by the dimmer +ve
The other wire to brown -ve

Doesn't matter which way round on the light kit as there is a rectifying bridge built in to the lights but if they are red and black then it's good practice to put the red wire to the +ve :thumbsup:

One wire to the grey/blue by the dimmer +ve
The other wire to brown -ve

Doesn't matter which way round on the light kit as there is a rectifying bridge built in to the lights but if they are red and black then it's good practice to put the red wire to the +ve :thumbsup:
Thank you, sir,

Hi all, was the plug and play kits made up, started reading through but got lost between the travelin lite kit and what was initially offered

Hi all, was the plug and play kits made up, started reading through but got lost between the travelin lite kit and what was initially offered
@saxoboy is your man for footwells and puddle lights.

Can this be done on the Puddle lights to our T6, ripped this from the web, it was linked to the puddle light installation which made me think can it be done?

1611050038958.png

Back