Adding 2nd USB to Discover Media Nav

CraigofThe

Hi, I have just received my spanking new T6 Kombi :)

Very happy with everything, except that the comfort dash only came with a USB for the CarPlay in the glove box, which means every time I jump in the van I have to lean right over to plug my phone in.

Is it possible to retrofit a second USB that works with CarPlay into the blanking above the 12v plug in the centre console?

I thought this cable and USB socket may be able to do it?
USB Switch Cable Harness Fit For VW Golf Jetta MK5 MK6 Car RCD510 RNS315 RCD300+ | eBay

Thanks

Afraid it’s not that simple
To add the second usb you need to install a usb hub/splitter box inside the dash
There is only one output on the back of the head unit so the splitter box is required to take one input and give you two outputs and for this to all work you have to replace the existing cable and usb socket as well as add a cable and usb socket, total price for all the parts is around £200 maybe a smidge over if memory serves

Thanks for the quick reply. More sense than I got from the guy at VW!
I’ll stick to leaning over for now :)

Instead of adding a usb is it possible to move the current one to a better location?

No not really, the existing one will be the larger rectangle size but the empty slot will be the smaller square type and the only usb socket available for the smaller square hole is not compatible with the single outlet setup and would need to be fed from a hub/splitter

I suppose I could just route an iPhone cable behind the glove box and into the centre one. That would be a pretty good workaround.

So I have just receiving my new van and although I did check with the dealer he added dual usbs with the comfort dash I don't have them! Think he forgot to add them and I forgot to check. Seems they are not an option on the builder anyhow at the mo.

Surely this can be moved somehow. I am going to ask for the parts or if they are not willing to do it.

Is it easy enough to fit the said parts to have the 2nd USB in centre console pull out?

It’s not too bad but you need to remove dash trims to fit parts and there’s a few wires to twiddle around as well as adding a 12v supply for the distributor box

It’s not too bad but you need to remove dash trims to fit parts and there’s a few wires to twiddle around as well as adding a 12v supply for the distributor box
Is it something you would be happy to show me at Camper Jam?:sneaky:

Back